Saturday, November 4, 2023

BLOGGING, MYSTERIES, AND TIME

 I blog to keep some semblance of a connection with the outside world. I also blog to keep from losing what's left of my mind (don't be alarmed - - that was my idea of sarcasm). Blogging is a purge of emotions, a sort of therapy.

And, of course, I blog to update you.

I've been using my cell phone to blog ever since I was hospitalized in June. It isn't exactly easy. I have to type on a tiny texting keyboard, using one finger.

Only part of my blog shows up on my cell phone screen. I can't see my sidebar. I can't discern what my font size looks like - and I can't adjust the size of the photos I post.

It's extremely frustrating.

Does my blog look reasonably readable? Just wondering.

I'm not going to give any detailed medical updates today. I have an appointment with my oncologist on Monday (6th). He's in the Cookeville Medical Center about 50 miles away.

I have some unsolved mysteries here in rehab. I received all your cards of encouragement, which I greatly appreciate.

But 

I'm still wondering who sent me the books. One is about the Romanov dynasty. The other is about the Cats of America. I've had a long-time fascination with the Romanovs.....and I love cats.

This evening (Friday), just before dinner, somebody sent me food and a large milkshake from McDonald's. I thought the delivery was a mistake but it had my name and room 606B. I was absolutely stunned.

Who could have sent it??? I possibly suspect one of my physical therapists (?) They genuinely like me. I think.

Anyway, it was a welcomed change from hospital food.

My big secret - - late at night I drink milk and eat chocolate candy that I ordered from Walmart. I also have a bag of pretzels. 

Besides the Romanovs and Cats, I've also been reading other books (ordered from Walmart).

I've read  an interesting biography of the composer Franz Schubert, first published in 1898. I've been reading letters written by Laura Ingalls Wilder, an author whom I loved since I was  young child.

Right now I'm reading a superb 600 page biography of Russian composer Alexander Scriabin by Faubion Bowers. The research compiled to write this epic bio is absolutely astounding. As a writer, Bowers is a genius.

I performed a lot of Scriabin's piano music when I was in college.

Change of subject

Daylight Saving Time?? The clocks are changed back one hour this weekend. Do you despise this worthless persecution as much as I do?

I never comply with this nonsense. I leave my clocks just as they are - except the microwave.

I dug into my phone files and found photos of some clocks that I own.

I'm sure this will thrill you *smile*

Clock with antique dishes and figurine circa 1820





Grandfather clock in my living room. I originally bought this for my mother long ago.

Miniature grandfather clock- 

Somebody told me it's called a grandmother clock



My favorite German cuckoo clock



Rustic bear clock

An original kit kat clock, graciously given to me by fellow blogger Ron from Retired in Delaware (I've always wanted one of these)


Clock in my bedroom


On my antique desk


An unusual hunters clock. When the hour strikes, the hunter comes out and chases a bear.



Hunter on right, bear on left

These are just a few of my many clocks. Some are packed away, others are broken.

Luv ya, Jon

21 comments:

  1. "The clocks are changed back one hour this weekend. Do you despise this worthless persecution as much as I do?"

    Ha ha! I like how you said this. It gets dark so early. It's like an entire season of half days.

    The hunter and the bear is funny. Sounds Russian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know what to call it, but persecution sounded appropriate. You're right about having half days.
      And that clock probably has a Russian bear *smile*

      Delete
  2. Your description of writing your blog is exactly how I do mine, since my laptop bit the dust a couple of years ago. I have the swiftest typing finger in the West! Bit of a change from the rapid two hand typing I used to do on a real keyboard, but better than losing touch.

    I hate the clock change. Most of my time keepers change themselves, but I have some to change, so they're in disagreement till I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed at the swiftest finger in the west. I've been using my cell phone for so long that I forgot what my laptop is like.
      Oddly enough, before I got sick I almost never used the cell phone

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this update, Jon! You will let us know how Monday's appointment went? Love the mystery McDonald's delivery!
    I remember most of these clocks, and still adore the grandmother's clock face. More so, that image hanging above. I can't discern if it's a painting or a photograph -- and I keep thinking I've seen it before - here on your blog, perhaps? Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always completely dread doctor appointments, especially when they have to drag me 50 miles. I will update.
      The picture above the grandmother clock is a photo of a tree in Africa. I don't remember where I got it, but I liked the shape of the frame.
      The mystery McDonald's dinner was a huge surprise.
      I hope they send another one *smile*

      Delete
  4. I love all your clocks, Jon. I still think the "Halloween Clock" is still my favorite. I looked on eBay and could not find one even similar. Hang onto that gem! I hope you hear good things from your oncologist. I've read a lot on the Romanov's, too. Fascinating. I'm not as familiar with composers. I think the only composer I've read about is Benjamin Britten (and his lover, the tenor, Peter Pears). The McDonald's surprise was great. A real treat from hospital/facility food. Working in hospitals for 38 years I can attest to that. It's gotten worse. I've always wanted a Kit Kat clock. That never happened...yet. Take care, Jon, and Best Wishes for a speedy trip home.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have included the Halloween clock again, but it slipped my mind. It is really unusual and intriguing. I hope you eventually find a similar one. Keep searching!
      Scriabin has homosexual tendencies but married twice and had several children. One daughter died of fever. His son Julian drowned in a river. Another surviving daughter was executed by Nazis during WWII.

      A continuous diet of hospital food can be unnerving. McDonald's was a welcomed change!
      I'll give a doctor update next week.

      Delete
    2. I meant to say "had" instead of "has". Scriabin died in 1915.

      Delete
  5. Daylight Savings Time has bothered me more the older I've gotten. Never did like it and with age it throws my system off kilter for quite a while...too long! I would never change all those clocks, either! I think I remember a post where you tried to get pictures of all your clocks--blew me away!
    You have gotten some really nice surprise gifts! That's so nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right, Rita. The older I get, the more trouble I have with adjusting to the time change. Sometimes it takes months. In the past few years I simply (try to) ignore it.
      I have no idea why I have so many clocks. They just seem to have accumulated by themselves.
      I hope someone sends me more food from McDonald's. I am thoroughly tired of hospital food.

      Delete
  6. Jon this is an amazing post - even more if it is done on your phone with one finger. I'm pleased if I can write 2 consecutive lines on Facebook with my phone. As for photos - forget THAT!!! And in fact I loved your clock pictures. I'd love a grandfather clock but I don't think there is anywhere it would fit. We live in a tall thin house with walls and roofs at funny angles. It must be wonderful to get cards and gifts and goodies - and you are right, McDonalds can be a nice change. When I first went to New York City I was mostly alone and felt so overwhelmed. The only thing that cheered me up was coffee and a Filet-O-FIsh from McD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny - after being hospitalized and in physical therapy for a total of (over) five months, I almost have forgotten what the outside world is like. I missed an entire summer and autumn. Fortunately, I'll be going home in a few weeks (hopefully).

      Learning to type quickly with one finger is something I never thought would happen. It's annoying but at least I can blog McDonald's food is a welcomed change from hospital food. I think it revived me *smile*.
      Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  7. My clocks reset themselves, fortunately. I'm impressed that you can type a long post like this on your cell phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're fortunate to have clocks that reset themselves. My cell phone and computers reset but none of my other clocks do.
      It took a lot of effort to learn how to type quickly with one finger, but I'm surprised that I can actually do it! I almost forgot how to use a computer.
      Hopefully I'll be going home in a few weeks.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. When I was a kid, in the '50's growing up in Central Oregon, DST was just being started, on a 'experimental' basis...e.g. it was up to the individual towns and counties whether or not to use it...the result was chaos. Some towns chose it, some did not. Some counties did, some did not. Some towns chose to have it M-F, but not on the weekends. So, if you were a kid living just outside a town, your time might be an hour off of the town 2 miles away. Nobody knew what time it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard of that, Mike, but it sounds like a complete nightmare - - chaos, indeed. DST is still an annoying and somewhat confusing affliction. In my humble opinion, it should be completely eliminated.
      Thanks for sharing this!

      Delete
  9. You have quite the collection of clocks, I share your love of them. Your little grandmother clock looks similar to one I had in England, it never made it over to the States when our household goods were shipped, due to being misplaced...ha.
    Good luck with your doctor appointment on Monday, hopefully all will be in your favor, and one more step closer to returning home.
    Best wishes,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that your clock was "misplaced" when you moved. I had the same issue when I moved from Texas to TN. An alarming amount of my possessions were "missing" - including all of my diaries and journals, my antique books, and all of my deceased mother's piano music. I had no movers insurance....
      I'll keep updating my medical journey.

      Delete
  10. How nice to get surprise gifts, Jon. Obviously, someone knew how much you enjoyed stories about the Romanov dynasty and your love of cats. McDonald's food isn't always the best, but every now and then it really hits the spot especially when compared to hospital food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dorothy - it's always good to hear from you. I was genuinely suprised and delighted to get the unexpected gifts. People can be so thoughtful.
      I had a doctor appointment today (Monday) and will update very soon. I have a lot to tell.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.