Saturday, November 18, 2023

FINAL WEEKEND


 I might be posting this update prematurely, because I'm never quite positive about what's ahead. I had seen the road of my long journey as being concrete, but it often turns into mud. Smooth sailing sinks into quicksand.

Enough of the preliminaries, Jon. Get to the point.

I was supposed to have been discharged from rehab yesterday (Friday the 17th) but it was delayed until this coming Monday the 20th. After being away from home for nearly six months, the long-awaited homecoming almost seems impossible - - as if I'm anchored in hell.

Perhaps I'm too anxious.

My feelings are mixed. I'm completely overjoyed, yet apprehensive and (I'll admit it) somewhat frightened. I'm not completely well or strong - mentally or physically.

One day (seems like long ago) the doctors said I had no chance to live, and now I'm being set free. It's strange and unnerving to comprehend.

On the bright side, I survived three months of physical rehab. I learned to walk again. As of today, I gained nearly 30 lbs. I'm still physically weak and unsteady but progressing. I recently passed all the final evaluations with superb marks.

Going home?

After my home being abandoned for six months, I'm afraid to see what it looks like. Before I was hospitalized I was so extremely sick that I couldn't walk across a room. I staggered, holding onto walls and praying that I wouldn't collapse.

I left the house in complete filth and disarray. Coming home to that isn't exactly appealing.

The social workers (who checked it out) said all the food in the refrigerator completely rotted. There was a storm that caused a power outage that lasted over a week. My freezer was filled with steaks, roasts, pies, and a whole chicken.

I hired a cleaning lady but she quit, complaining that she was allergic to the mildew. I don't recall any mildew, but so be it.

On the bright side, the husbands of my two therapy workers came over and fixed the broken steps on my front porch.

And I managed to find a plumber who will fix the bathroom leak (the main water valve is shut off in the house). I also found a dumpster rental place, who can clean up all the trash and haul it away.

And I made a list of all the things I need to do. I am determined to ensure victory.

BTW

Never begin a sentence with a coordinating conjunction. Think about that for a minute. It will get funny.

On Monday, the day of my alleged discharge, I will have a very early (local) doctor appointment. Then the driver will pickup groceries that I ordered from Walmart. After that, I will try to persuade him to stop at my cousin's house to pick up Bosco(the cat).

Nancy can't drive because her car broke down and her son is going to fix it.

Well, that's the latest update installment for now. Thanks for taking time to read it.

BTW the header photo was taken by me when I lived in Texas. I thought it was kinda nice for Thanksgiving week.

Love to all,  Jon

 


37 comments:

  1. Best wishes from Texas. Good luck on your Thanksgiving week Home going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. It's nice to hear from someone in Texas!

      Delete
  2. I know I can't do everything and will probably need help, but I'll try my best. I definitely need it be be livable again. The plumber and trash pickup will be a great start. I only wish the onset of winter wasn"t coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wishing you the best. I understand your feelings of wanting to be home, where you can be your own boss and do what you want, within the boundaries of your health, of course. I am a loner like you, and am lucky enough to have a husband who gives me plenty of alone time. Enjoy your peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a long-time reader of your blog, Donna, and know that we share many similarities. It's fortunate that your husband understands your need for time alone. I value my privacy more than anything. I lost every shred of privacy and dignity being hospitalized and in rehab.
      For me, home is a sanctuary.

      Delete
  4. I hope all goes well at the house and with you. I'm worried about possible mold, but let's hope the clear out helps with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm worried about possible mold, too, especially since I've never seen any before. The house needs a thorough cleaning. I only wish that it was spring with warm weather, instead of the threshold of winter.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photograph. That's perfect for Thanksgiving!
    I'm so excited for you, Jon!!! Perhaps Nancy can come along to help you get set up and share a meal and memories. (Jus' a thought ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of favorite photos. It's a cheery prelude to Thanksgiving. If I finally get my long-awaited homecoming, it will certainly be something to be thankful for.
      BTW, I liked all those photos of Marcie and Grace!

      Delete
    2. I meant Macie - - please send her my apologies *smile*

      Delete
  6. I'm happy to read this. Is there someone else you can hire to clean your house? Six months being unoccupied takes a toll. All that aside, you are going home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest worry is what the house is going to look like when I return. Some of the windows have been open for six months!! That dampness could certainly contribute to mold.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful news of you being able to return home Jon, I know you are more than ready.
    There are still obstacles you will need to address, but "Where there's a will, there's a way ".
    I'm hoping that cousin Nancy will help you settle in, and reunite you with your beloved Bosco.
    Love the colorful picture, it's perfect for Thanksgiving week.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm worried about having a clean and safe house when Bosco arrives. He may very well want to return to Nancy *smile*.
      Returning to normalcy will be a tedious task for me, especially since I'm physically weak - - but I'm determined to overcome obstacles!

      Delete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving, Jon. Glad you are going home. 🥧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandi - - it's ironic that I'll be home for Turkey Day with something to be thankful for.

      Delete
    2. What a blessing to have something to be thankful for. 😊

      Delete
  9. BTW Jon, I've been battling COVID for the past two weeks, I have a card to send to you, when I'm up and running.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that you have COVID and hope that you will be able to recover very soon with no complications. Ironically there are several new cases of COVID here at rehab - -which caused the staff to become alarmed.
      I will be going home on this coming Monday the 20th. If you can email me I'll send you my home address.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations, Jon. I hope all goes well with the discharge and settling into your home.
    I wish I lived closer as I'd be glad to come over and help you clean it up. I'd put my OCD tendencies to work! LOL! Have a nice Thanksgiving...being back home is certainly something to be 'thankful' for. Keep us posted and some new pics of Bosco would be fun! Take care and Best Wishes.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would welcome your clean up help John, but I admittedly wouldn't want you to see my place when it's such a mess.
      Ironically, I moved into my house on Thanksgiving Day and now I'm returning there near Thanksgiving.
      I'll take photos of Bosco and continue with updates.

      Delete
  11. Hi Jon
    After nearly 6 months in the grips of the medical world, and not having control, or very little control, it makes sense to be anxious about release. I would be.
    I think you'll do well...muscle memory, or some damn thing, will kick in, and new knowledge you've gained will augment. I feel confident you'll do well at home.
    Have you gotten the new covid booster, and the other various vax's? If not, you should consider getting them.
    If we don't connect via here before, I hope you have a enjoyable thanksgiving.
    Take care, be generous and forgiving to youself.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike, your advice and observations are always valuable to me. I hope the muscle memory will kick in and the knowledge I gained will be benificial.
    It really is scary to be discharged after six incredibly exhausting months.
    I'm sure that gaining some sense of "normalcy" will take time and effort.
    I appreciate your continuing support - - and have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jon, I sure hope you get to go home tomorrow. When I was in rehab-hospital somebody would come into my room and post a further release date every few days. It went on for weeks. I suspect it's some sort of ruse to get patients mad enough to recover faster. Whatever its rationale, I admire your adherence to a positive outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's good to hear from you, Geo.
    You're absolutely right about the ploy with the ever-changing release date.
    I think I will need more therapy to help recover from rehab. The agony never ends.
    Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best of luck to you Jon and hope that Today, Nov 20, is really your going-home date. I know how much you want to be back there. In reading this post, it sounds like you DO know there will be some issues. Sorry to read about the spoiled food and cleaning lady quitting, but good news on the repaired steps, plumber to fix the leak and dumpster to haul away stuff. I really hope all goes well for your return and hope you will keep all your blogger friends posted as we have been here for the long haul for sure.

    Happy early 🦃 to you my friend and I'm thankful for all your good news updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's early Monday morning and I'm anxious and apprehensive. It will be a stressful and monumental day. Thanks, Dorothy. I'll keep you updated.

      Delete
  16. I don’t want to jinx anything
    I’m still with you Jon 🎢
    Lisa (salemslot9)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, you've never jinxed me yet. I trust you implicidly*smile*

      Delete
  17. I guess you will be home by now Jon and I hope all is going well. In particular I hope someone cleared out that freezer for you, (what a bummer that outage was). Sounds like you have done incredibly well with your rehab but it could be something of a test in the first few days before you get back into the swing of it. It's heartwarming to hear what that nice bunch of people have done to help, and I hope someone checks in on you in the coming weeks. Bosco will certainly be having plenty to think about, too, but I'm guessing glad to be back and glad to be reunited with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I am back home and I will blog more details in future posts. Things are not nearly as easy as I thought - - but I managed to clean out the freezer by myself.
      Bosco is still with my cousin. I thought it is best to bring him home when things are more settled.
      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  18. My apologies to you Jon for being late responding to this post of you preparing to go home. Oh you will be so happy when you are home again, even though there is work to do. You'll be home just in time for the first big winter snowstorm. I wonder how many creatures took up residence in your house. I daresay I am also looking forward to that blog post. Continue to improve Jon.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Ron - no need to apologize for being late. I'll post more updates soon

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.