Thursday, December 14, 2023

THE DEADLY BREATH OF WINTER

 


I've always hated winter. Its devastating impact only hit me when I moved away from Southern California. I left a balmy 65 degrees and was welcomed with an Ozark blizzard and 5 frigid degrees. 

Winter drains the light from my spirit and the life from my soul. The ruthlessly howling frosted winds never invoke visions of sugarplums and winter wonderlands. They shiver with desolation and forgotten ice-ladened graves.

What happened to holiday cheer?

I left it behind, with the faint almost forgettable scent of spring flowers.

So why am I writing this gloom? Be patient. There's always a method to my madness.

My birthday was a busy one. I was expecting a quiet, uneventful day. 

I got up early and, with a rare burst of energy, started cleaning up the bedroom.

Later, I got a call from the designated plumber chosen by my current social worker. He fixed the leaking bathroom pipe and informed me that a new toilet will be installed. All for no charge. An incredible surprise.

Much later I got a call from one of the home care nurses. She wanted to come over with two other workers to clean the house and set up my new mattress. I declined the help, but they came anyway. They spend several hours cleaning and hauling out the trash that I had collected (aquired?).

I was immensely greatful and humbled. It was late when they left and I was too tired to cook dinner. All I had was coffee and cookies.

Today - - the day after my birthday - - I woke up with a cautious surge of optimism, but also an underlying sense of foeboding. I never expect positivity. If it appears, it will eventually unceremoniously vanish. 

The shock came from my cousin Nancy, who informed me that my beloved cat Bosco died. When I was hospitalized on June 1st, I had a gnawing feeling that I'd never see him again.

I was so sick that fateful day that, after I called 911, I passed out on the front porch. Bosco stayed with me until the ambulance came.

Everything was done to save Bosco but he didn't make it. He was nine years old.

I always suspected he wouldn't live long. I had him since the day he was born and he was an extremely sick kitten. He was plagued with sinus and respiratory infections that could never be resolved.

He was the only light left in my life - - and  the only companion I had to live for.

I have endlessly talked about gratitude and blessings and the possibility of positivity. But it all fades away like an indescernible dream.

I passed the previous grueling six months with strength, courage, dignity, and patience.

Today I cried.

                            Jon


16 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear this, Jon. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This. This is something I could never have seen coming. I've no words, no useless platitudes except to say, I'm sorry. So very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, sweet Bosco, I was so hoping for a grand reunion in the near future...
    Fly high over that Rainbow Bridge you beautiful boy, you were loved, and knew it.
    So very sorry Jon.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forebodings are always never positive and so sorry to read that yours were so devasting, Jon. I share your sorrow in the passing of your beloved Bosco who was much loved by yourself and your cousin, Nancy. His nine years were filled with love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I am heartbroken. You went through all this and now back home and no Bosco. I'm sorry to read that Jon. Seems like many of us this year lost our furry loved ones. I hope in time you'll consider another kitty. A home is not a home without a pet...and they add so much to our daily life and are always our companion no matter what.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon, forgot to add that it was wonderful to read about the no-cost plumbing repairs and the mattress set-up and cleaning...such wonderful folks and certainly in the spiorit of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss. There's no getting over that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jon....I'm so very sorry. This breaks my heart. I've been down that rainbow road so many times myself. I am glad to hear that your plumbing issue was resolved as well as some help cleaning and setting up the new mattress. I'm also thankful you have a 'fixed' furnace. There are things to be grateful for, but the loss of Bosco is gut wrenching. You're in my thoughts, Jon.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry for the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Jon, I extend condolences on the loss of Bosco. Cats make for devoted friends and good stabilizers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such wonderful, amazing things happened (plumber and care workers) and then to hear Bosco died. So sorry. Things are looking up with your home and, therefore, being able to stay at home safely. So sad. Bosco was loved and had a good life with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a nice thing for the plumber and care workers to do. So very sorry about Bosco. All your cats were blessed to have you, you were so good to them. Take care and prayers for continued healing, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Jon, I my heart cries for you - I am so, so sorry to hear that you lost your beloved Bosco. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.