Sunday, January 14, 2024

DAY FROM HELL

Before I get to the hell part, I have some preliminaries to contend with.

Wicked weather is heading for Tennessee, with a winter storm arriving Sunday night. Snow, possibly 4 or 5 inches, is expected next week with frigid temperatures. By Tuesday night the temps could be below zero.

My apprehension is immense. If there is a power outage (which happens often) I'm finished. I'll never survive. Everything in this house is powered by electricity. I had a fireplace when I lived in Texas. Here, I have a few candles and some ancient matches.

To compound my apprehension, I've been running very low on food and supplies.

So, a few days ago I decided to order supplies before the Arctic blast arrives. My things were supposed to be delivered on Friday, but the delivery was delayed due to rain (rain??). The delivery was rescheduled for Saturday.

The fact that it was going to be a FedEx delivery really had me worried. They are notorious for delivering packages to the wrong address. This happened to me at least a dozen previous times. 

I provided them with detailed delivery instructions, filed complaints, and called them and talked to robots......but NOTHING works. They constantly deliver my stuff to a house where nobody lives. The man who owns the property only goes there once or twice a month. If he finds packages, he'll bring them to me, but it might not be for weeks.

On Saturday (yesterday) I got a message that my packages were all delivered to my front porch(about six boxes).

I hobbled outside with my walker and - - of course - - no packages were there. The remote possibility was that the items might have been left by my car near the garage. That has happened before.

Since there's no one around to help me, and despite the fact that I'm half dead and can't walk........

.......I (foolishly) decided to venture out and look for myself. I knew it was a HUGE risk, but I had no choice.

I didn't want to attempt to go down the front porch steps, so I opted to go out the back door. This house is built on a hill. The front porch is six feet off the ground. The back porch is level with the ground.

I was certain that no matter which way I went, there would be a potential disaster. But I embarked anyway.

There was no possible way that I could use my walker, so I figured I'd court danger and use a cane.

The back porch doesn't have steps. It just has two cement blocks that I put there long ago. That leads to a long, muddy path to the garage.

Me and my cane made it to the cement blocks. As soon as I put one wobbly foot forward to step on the muddy path, I completely lost my balance and fell on my back with astounding force.

I hit my head on the edge of the porch, hit my back on the cement blocks, and my twisted legs were tangled in vines and covered in mud. Worst of all I was nearly paralyzed. I couldn't move my legs at all. I still have edema and they are swollen and stiff.

There was no way I could move. I didn't have my cell phone. If I screamed only the coyotes would hear me. It was 27 degrees (Fahrenheit) and the afternoon was waning. I was only wearing a sweatshirt and thin sweatpants.

I tried every way possible to move but couldn't. My entire body was in pain. I knew I couldn't stay there or I'd freeze to death. When it got dark there was a risk of coyotes, wild dogs, wild hogs, and snakes.

If I stayed there I'd be doomed. I summoned all the strength I had and managed to use my elbows to drag my wretched body across the porch to the back door.

This was no consolation. There was no way possible that I could stand up - - and I couldn't reach the doorknob. During that moment of panic, I suddenly saw that I lost both my shoes while I was dragging myself.

In a moment of bitter irony, my mind flashed with the thought that I survived six months in the hospital and rehab - - - and now I was going to die on the back porch.

In complete desperation I kept clawing at the door and reaching farther and farther until my fingers touched the door knob. After many many tries, I finally got the door to open.

I was so cold and exhausted that I could hardly move and had to pull myself with my arms inch by inch. It took at least fifteen minutes to get across the kitchen floor. The back door was still wide open. There was no way to close it.

Being back in the house didn't help me at all. I could hardly move. There was no way to stand up. I grasped at everything in reach. My shoeless feet kept slipping on the floor.

I dragged myself to the kitchen table and desperately tried to hold onto a chair, but the chair fell over on me. There was a nearby bench where I kept my landline phone. I grabbed the cord and pulled it to the floor.

But who the hell could I call? The home healthcare office was closed for the weekend. I didn't want another ambulance. I was in ambulances at least a dozen times since last summer. I'd never call the police. They are last ones I'd ever want to get involved with.

As I laid helpless on the floor, I kept looking at the wide open back door - - wondering what I'd do when it got dark. Would I freeze or be eaten by.......wolves?

This dire scenario inspired me to hoist my wretched body up with my arms on the toppled chair. I managed to stand and grab my nearby walker!

When I saw the clock I realized that it was way over two hours since I fell. I was thankful that I didn't make an emergency phone call.

This post is annoyingly long, but I can't fully convey the panic I felt at being completely helpless.

So how am I now?

My entire body aches. My left knee and arms are extremely painful. My neck and head hurt and I have a headache. I can hardly creep around in my walker.

I don't have enough food or supplies, thanks to FedEx.

I'm absolutely dreading the winter storm that is arriving tonight.

I'm tired. Excruciatingly tired.

I'm weary from the agonizing uphill journey and wish it would end.

.......but perhaps I'll survive.......

With love, Jon


23 comments:

  1. I do not know what part of Tennessee you are in, but most communities have a free Facebook group. See if you can find a group close to you, and ask for help. My local group is giving blankets, and heaters, and food to those that ask. To be honest, and I know you would hate to do it, but myself, I'd admit myself back to the hospital for the duration. It is supposed to be brutally cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've provided me with some good advice. I had thought about returning to rehab in Jamestown. This is going to be a long harrowing week.
      Thanks for your input!

      Delete
    2. This is excellent advice Jon. Join a local Facebook group or the NextDoor app. I use the NextDoor app for all information about the neighborhood. You can ask for help, especially where your packages are being delivered. There is no cost for the NextDoor app.
      Ron

      Delete
    3. I never heard of the NextDoor app. Thanks for the tip, Ron.

      Delete
  2. This is terrifying. I think if you can get the help suggested above, maybe including someone to find your packages, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This couldn't have happened at a worse time. If I can get through the next few days, I think I'll be okay. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. My goodness Jon, what a nightmare, and because I have had my own problems with mobility I can imagine the horror.
    Will your local Walmart deliver with their drivers ?
    You really do need a lifeline to a human who can assist you, churches are always willing to help, even if you are not a member, can you reach out on Facebook for any help ?
    Thoughts and healing prayers sent your way.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't panic easily, but this incident of complete helplessness really scared me. I can call home healthcare next week - - but when the winter weather is bad, it's nearly impossible to get to my house. I think I'll be ok. Thanks for your concern, Jo.

      Delete
    2. More excellent advice Jon. You need a human emergency contact. An advocate, I really don't think you can do this by yourself and survive. You're tempting fate.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Jon, is there a way to let the place you ordered from know that NO, the packages were not delivered? Have you ever ordered from Amazon? They have their own delivery vehicles and don't use Fed Ex as far as I can tell. But with the storm coming that may not work. You could try though.

    Also...maybe, maybe...it is time to live with your cousin who kept Bosco or a home healthcare assistant or elsewhere? Only saying because it may be safer. I know you don't want to do that.

    Glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FedEx does have a tracking dept. where you can let them know the packages weren't received - - but they make it difficult to get any resolution.
      To be brutally honest, I'd rather be dead than to live with a relative or healthcare assistant.
      The fall that I had was completely due to my absolute carelessness. And my intuition told me something bad would happen.
      I'll be careful in the future...

      Delete
  5. "Nightmare" doesn't begin to cover this fight for survival, Jon! Please follow up with others' suggestions -- even 9-1-1 or a motel room. The approaching cold front scares me. Please let us know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isolation lifestyle isn't for sissies. I could always call the home healthcare office -- but the weekend and holiday on Monday makes it difficult. Also, it's difficult to access my place in snowy weather.
      The upcoming winter storm scares me - - if only I can get through the next few days....
      I will update when I can.

      Delete
  6. Jon, Couldn't you call your cousin? I don't want to beat you but you should always carry your cell phone with you. I try to always have mine with me in this house, especially going up and down the stairs to Bill's basement bedroom and bathroom. If I fell there would be no way I could call for help. Ten years ago, when I fell leaving work at the hotel and tore my quadricep leg muscle, I was so thankful I had my iPhone. As I lay on my back I dialed 911 and the paramedics were there within five minutes. Otherwise I would have probably have frozen to death in the five degree windy temperature. That was the closest I can remember being to death, feeling totally helpless as you felt when you fell on your back porch. Keep your cellphone with you at all times Jon. Please! I'm not in the wilderness like you are but I do have an emergency line that a real person will answer for any of Bill's needs. I am prepared for that emergency which I'm sure will happen during the night or on the weekend, preferably a holiday weekend. God forbid emergencies happen during normal business hours. Jon, you might consider living in such a building like my 887 year old friend Don McKenzie lives in center city Philadelphia. Lots of old folks like him who don't have immediate close relatives live in that building. There is always someone to check in on him and his fellow neighbors, many of whom are old like him and nobody close geographically to look in on them. And his walk in urgent care unit is just down the street from where he lives at 21st and Chestnut Streets. I give this advice with some reticence because people give me advice like "Have somebody come in and help you with Bill." Well, that isn't happening, I can still take care of Bill by myself and neither one of us wants a stranger living in our house, no matter how nice they are and, besides, I couldn't afford the $25 an hour or more they charge. Rich we're not. But Jon, you have to do something about your food delivery. Maybe delivered to your cousin who can bring it up to you? Thinking and worried about you Jon.
    Ron (Retired in Delaware)_....I still don't know why your blog insists on "Anonymous" for my identity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, thanks for your thoughtful comment. My recent horrible fall happened due to my extreme carelessness. I definitely should have brought my cell phone and I never should have attempted to use a cane.
      Falls are one of the most dangerous things that can happen to us. I remember that terrible fall you had on the frigid night you were leaving from work. The iPhone really did save you.
      Unfortunately my cousin Nancy is in poor health and seldom drives anymore. We both live in Jamestown but she's right near town and I'm miles and miles away.
      Rural life is dangerous but I want to stay here as long as I can. I'm probably crazy - - but I have always courted danger.
      BTW I'm so sorry for the loss of your cousin.
      Two of my cousins passed away recently.
      Take care, Ron.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad that you have a good neighbor who checks on you. Bad things always happen to us when we least expect it. I'd like to have some sort of emergency call button that I could use 24/7.
    My home is surprisingly far from my cousin - - probably 20 miles or more. I wish we were closer.
    It's starting to snow tonight. I wonder if you'll get any of this winter storm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Home health doesn’t have a number for weekends and holidays in case of emergency? Maybe you can get the neighbors number next time so you can call him when packages don’t arrive and maybe he’ll go check. Fed ex needs to fix the problem. So glad you were able to make it back into the house. We’re all worried about you. Please be careful, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home health care does have an emergency operator but I would be hesitant to call. I usually struggle to resolve issues before I signal an SOS (which is undoubtedly foolish).
      Thanks for your concern, Sheila

      Delete
  9. call the local Fire Dept and ask what their lift-assist protocol is. They will
    Come and help you get up in case you fall.
    If you have a physical address, and someone (Fed Ex, UPS, Fire Dept or Ambulance) has a GPS, they surely can find your residence.
    Call your home health care and leave a message that you need help ASAP. You never know, some places call the office just to see if they have any urgent messages.
    Keep us posted!
    Pat/Texas 18 degrees this AM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it sounds crazy, but I always feel foolish calling for help. Right now I'm snowed in (!!) and no vehicles can get to the house. It's presently 15 degrees. Keep warm!

      Delete
  10. Jon, all I can say is to reenforce what everyone else has said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. My carelessness is solely to blame, and I regret it.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.