Monday, April 1, 2024

APRIL BEGINS




I have absolutely no photos to enhance this post - - - so I've decided to offer a pic of the Easter Bunny undergoing therapy after a mental breakdown from too much candy and too many kids.

Holidays can be a _______

(you fill in the blank)

Easter Sunday was beautiful - - sunny and 75 degrees. This welcomed paradise won't last. Cold weather and frost is a possibility by the end of this week.

Unfortunately I felt rotten all weekend. Completely exhausted, weak, wiped out, wracked with pain. I won't elaborate. Physically, Im just about finished.

The only good news is that FedEx delivered all my orders accurately and on time.

The bad news is that It takes me an agonizing half hour to get the packages into the house. With the aide of my walker, I kick the boxes (across the porch) with my feet and slide them to the front door. Since there's no way to lift them, I have to tumble them inside. It's an art.

Opening the boxes and putting the items away is truly a feat from hell that takes hours. I can hardly remember a time when I was physically normal.

I wanted to have a nice meal for Easter but I was too exhausted to care. I chopped up a leftover pot roast, added vegetables, and made a stew.

Wanna hear about my latest horrific encounter with the Transport Service from Hell? 

I thought you would.

My two latest medical appointments in Cookeville were scheduled for Tuesday April 2nd (a CT scan) and a doctor appointment Thursday April 4th (oncologist).

Transport rides have to be booked three days in advance. I accurately assumed that they'd be closed on Good Friday, so I called early Thursday morning.

I was flabbergasted when they told me the woman who books the rides had the day off and wouldn't be back until after Easter.

While I was fumbling for words, they gave me the phone number of another woman in Nashville (far away and long distance) who might (!??!) be able to schedule a ride.

This sounded a little weird to me, but I called the number.

I got a recorded message saying the voice mail box (or whatever) was full and no more calls were accepted.

Totally exasperated, I called Cookeville Medical Center and cancelled my appointments, then told them I'd like to reschedule.

So now I have to go back on April 22nd and 29th. I have absolutely no faith that these new appointments will materialize.

OK boys and girls, let's have a recap.

In January I missed my appointments due to snow and ice.

In February I missed my appointments because the transport driver refused to take me. She was afraid she'd get stuck in my rural driveway.

(BULL#!**#!).

In March I missed my appointments because the driver was two hours late.

And now this.

I've always been a Mr. Nice Guy - - polite, patient, and forgiving.

Now I'm considering murder.

16 comments:

  1. This is just too awful. I'm so sorry for what you're enduring. And I'd like a minute alone with the people letting you down over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had good experiences with the people around here. I don't know why the transport service workers are consistantly incompetent.
      I'd like to have a few minutes alone with them....I can use my walker as a weapon....

      Delete
  2. Unbelievable! I really thought better of people in the Southlands. Going out on a thin limb ... is there anyway you can reach out to the delivery driver (on the QT), to see if he wouldn't bring your parcels up to the house in exchange for some folding money?
    To answer your fill-in-the-blank? "Let-down." Leftover pot roast sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so upset about my next appointments that I can hardly sleep. I don't know why these people are so untrustworthy but it's beyond infuriating.
      The FedEx drivers leave my packages on the front porch, which is good, but I'm so weak that I can hardly get them inside. If I try to lift anything, my spine gets destroyed.
      I'm ready to give up with everything....

      Delete
  3. It's a shame you can't get a good home health care worker to come in. My uncle at 92 is pretty Independant, but he has a home health care lady ...she is excellent and very friendly. She has practically become one of the family. She comes in four days a week. She does his laundry, light cleaning, and takes him on his errands and doc appointments. You should look into one of those services...because those people have their own car, and will often come the hours or days you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to hate me but--Jon, Jon, Jon...when a business says to call at least three days ahead they mean three WORKdays. And when you are using transport systems the earlier you call the better because they get filled up and schedules have to be made to drop off and pick up multiple people. You could have called right after you originally got the appointments. Calling on Thursday when most places could be closed Friday and Monday for Easter--was like not calling ahead at all. Call them right now for the next appointments--PLEASE! I know you have never had to use ride services before. They should have explained this to you. I can remember even calling three workdays ahead and they were full, so I tried to call a week or two ahead--or more--because with appointments you can because you know when you need to be there. There are people on chemo or dialysis and such who have regular appointments...people who have regular grocery trips...a driver can call in sick. Call now to schedule your next appointments.

    I am so glad you are getting your deliveries, at least. Maybe you could open the boxes on the porch and take the things out little by little. No matter how it is done it is going to be exhausting and take a long time, I know. But at least it is getting there and as close as the porch. That's good news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita - this transport service is so incompetent that they'd screw it up even if I called three months in advance. Refusing to use my driveway and arriving two hours late is inexcusable. I'm very seriously considering cancelling all my appointments and dying peacefully at home. The stress will kill me faster than my illnesses. No matter when I schedule the rides, I have absolutely no faith that I'll ever get to a doctor.

    To be brutally honest, I'm ready to abandon everything. I'm more exhausted than anyone could ever imagine.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I'll never hate you. I'm not as mean as I look.

      Delete
  6. Dear Jon, what a complete disarray, there is no excuse for their incompetence. Your healthcare team should assist you in securing reliable transportation to your appointments without having to deal with all the stress.
    I was thinking you need one of those little roll around shopping carts on wheels, I've seen them at Walmart or Home Depot, probably Amazon.
    Good news that your deliveries are making it on time, and hopefully that will continue.
    I'm sorry that you are in constant pain, please stay strong and don't give up.
    Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's extremely unfortunate that, in this rural area, I have no alternative but this appalling transportation service. I have absolutely no faith in them and I doubt if they'll ever get me to my appointments.
      Perhaps one of those little roll around shopping carts would help me get the packages into the house.
      I am depressed over many things. It's getting more difficult to keep my head above the raging seas.....

      Delete
  7. Jon, I am at a loss for what to say in a comment that has not already been expressed by yourself and other caring bloggers. Your continuing failures with the transport company are beyond comprehension. I am just thinking aloud here, but does Cookeville have any reaction when you explain WHY you have had to cancel several appointments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people at Cookeville Medical Center are sympathetic and are trying to be helpful. They've contacted the UCHRA Transport Service and only get the same excuses that I get - - the company has expanded to numerous counties, the new system isn't working properly, and the drivers get schedules that aren't correct.
      I refuse to blame this disaster on myself. My health issues are worse than what I reveal on this blog ....and I'm struggling to do my best.
      Thanks for your concern, Dorothy.

      Delete
  8. Jon, You continue to amaze me at your resourcefulness in managing your situation alone in remote home in the hills of Tennessee. I'm spoiled here in southern Delaware being so near to everything I need. Of course now is an especially rough time for me being alone for the first time in fifty-nine years of living with Bill, but I don't have to worry about deliveries or getting to my doctors' appointments. I have a harder time getting around because of my arthritis but I can still walk, albeit much slower and wobbly now. I'm glad you can continue to blog. Nice weather is coming and soon I hope your transportation challenges will settle into a normal routine. Always thinking of you Jon and concerned for your welfare. So says Ron of Retired in Delaware (I borrowed "Woody of Ohio"s sign-off)
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are coping remarkably well, Ron, and I'm so glad. There is no way to fully recover after the trauma of a great loss. The shock, pain, and emptiness never fully subsides - - - but the mental anguish does lessen in time. I think everything worked out perfectly. You did extraordinary work as a caregiver. Bill's final years were blessed with your love and dedication.
      There are many new adventures awaiting you. Take advantage of them when you feel that you can. I'm glad that saw Pat. There are many good people in your life.
      Take care, and thanks for your comment. Things are not going well for me but I'm managing to survive.
      Pushing foreward is our only solace. Hugs, Jon

      Delete
    2. Sorry for any typos. I'm writing on my cell phone.

      Delete
  9. Things are pretty bad when FedEx is more reliable than a medical transport service! God! What a Country we live in, eh?

    I am so sorry you have to deal that horseshit seriously. Unreal.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.