Thursday, April 11, 2024

MUSIC I LOVE TO HATE

 


Polonaise Militaire

A major   op.40 no.1

By Frederic Chopin (1810 - 49)

When I found this piano video in my files yesterday, I cringed. When I dared to watch it, I couldn't stop laughing.

First, I must establish the fact that I love Chopin's music and have performed many of his compositions. As a pianist/composer, he was a sublime genius.

It is with regret and abject humility that I confess there is one of his compositions that I intensely dislike - - the notorious Military Polonaise.

Chopin wrote at least twenty polonaises (give or take), most of which are superb. This is the only one that irks the heck out of me.

Why?

In a proverbial nutshell, it is too long and annoyingly loud. The massive amount of repeats makes it seem endless (some pianists skip the repeats, but I don't).

It is incredibly loud - - ranging from forte to triple forte. There is nowhere in the composition to insert a soft tone. The possibility of pianissimo doesn't exist.

On the positive side, it is technically demanding - - definitely not for wimpy pianists. Performing it requires courage, strength, fortitude, and large hands.

While watching this video, I remember some of the thoughts going through my mind as I was performing this:

It's endless....completely endless. I'm in Keyboard Hell.

I've never seen so many octaves in one place.

Earplugs! I should have worn earplugs!

I should have taken up the clarinet.

Please! Somebody - - shoot me!

BTW

That smile at the end was a smile of relief.

Cheers, Jon

22 comments:

  1. You also need fast hands! You played it really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fast hands.....and occasionally a fast brain (?smile)
      Thank you, Sandra.

      Delete
  2. I remember this splendid performance. Your backstory and 'closed captions' are a hoot (RFLMAO)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd remember this! I was rather hesitant to rehash it, but what the heck......I needed the laughs.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you about this piece. But oh, the technical skill that would take to play it! Amazing! Do you still play? I took piano lessons as a kid, and I think my piano teacher was on the verge of becoming an alcoholic due to me! He recommended to my parents I might want to take up golf or something 'non-musical'. Golf didn't work out, either. LOL. Thanks for posting.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't played since I moved to TN. My incentive is sapped
      The movers "lost" most of my cherished music manuscripts. The dampness and mice completely destroyed my two pianos.
      My mother was my first piano teacher and she was a brilliant pianist. I later studied with some great teachers ( will write about this some day).
      Unfortunately I was often a stubborn pupil - - doing everything my way.

      Delete
  4. What a pianist you are! All that training! I really enjoyed this, even though this is also the least of Chopin's music. This just doesn't seem like his music.Good to see you. I pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that this doesn't sound lile Chopin's typical musical style. It sounds brash and unbridled - - although the technique is incredible.
      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  5. thecontemplativecat here. I neglected to put my moniker on the above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you identified yourself *smile*

      Delete
  6. I like the dramatic page turn!

    This sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when you said that. I struggle to turn the pages as quickly as possible, so I don't mess things up.( I'm not always successful)

      Delete
  7. I always found the rumtiddlyumpums hilarious! And it's like he just couldn't think how to get back out of it and FINISH! Just when you think it's safe.... Noooooo,v there's more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rumtiddlyumpums are running rampant and it almost seems there's no way out. The danger zone is a perilous trap......but Chopin finally and mercifully manages to save the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a challenge to play! I don't prefer loud music, either. Never been a fan of marches and such...or heavy metal when that came around, either--lol! Too bad your pianos got destroyed over time by mice and the dampness. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. This composition signifies Polish nationalism and pride - - I suppose the perpetual loudness reinforces it. That's my uneducated guess.
    I don't like heavy metal or rap, and I'm not exactly delighted with marches, either.
    I'm completely devastated over the destruction of my pianos......enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. I really appreciate that compliment. Many thanks!

      Delete
  12. Hi Jon
    Late to the party as usual, I've been traveling.
    I'm taken with your virtuosity with your hands. In other circumstances you might have made a good surgeon. I don't say that lightly.
    The piece does seem to carry on a bit longer than necessary, but your performance is impressive.
    Hope all is well with you.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mike. I'm admittedly envious of your travels. Lately my only travels are with my walker or wheelchair.
      The Chopin piece is definitely too long, but it's actually fun to play ( if you have technique and endurance).
      The weather here has been rainy, windy, and chilly. I'm still waiting for spring....
      Take care.

      Delete
  13. Jon, if truth be told, I could only listen to half of this piece. It had nothing to do with your talent, but a dislike of the composition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This tedious piece is radically different from Chopin's other compositions. I consider it to be an annoying mystery.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.