Tuesday, April 16, 2024

TOO MUCH MOONLIGHT?

 



In my previous post, I subjected you to the notorious Polonaise Militaire - - my least favorite composition by Chopin.

To be brutally honest, I shared that video solely to show off my pianistic virtuosity. Which is impressive (*smile*).

On this post, I'm going to torture you with another composition that I dislike - - Clair de lune by Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918), from the Suite Bergamasque.

The piece (inspired by an 1869 poem by Paul Verlaine) is a lovely composition. The reason that it irks me is because it is mercilessly over-played. 

Every pianist who can sit upright at a keyboard has performed this piece, often to the point of ad nauseam. They sway and swoon in a saccharine trance, conveying their nightmarish interpretation of moonlight.

I'm not the swooning type. My interpretation is sometimes considered crude or rough around the edges. And too fast.

Many pianists take over five agonizing minutes to get through this piece. I take four and a half minutes.

Interestingly, I discovered a 1913 recording of Debussy playing this piece himself. He takes less than four minutes - - a little faster than me.

I was delighted that Debussy had nearly the same tempo as myself. Neither of us swooned.

The thing I dislike the most about my video recording is that the camera was too close to the piano, giving the audio a harsh tone.

(Video best viewed full-screen)

BTW

Here is Debussy performing his Clair de lune in 1913. His rhythm is refreshingly unique.



22 comments:

  1. Thank you. Both versions are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that, Sandi. Debussy's unusual phrasing is delightful.

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful yet melancholy piece of music. Of course I have heard it before but never knew the title of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. The music is soothing and melancholy. I think we both need this interlude to help forget the problems in our lives.....

      Delete
  3. Thank you. Quite a change from Lucia in EFBenson, classic portrait of a wobbly piano player relying heavily on atmosphereeeee over skill! Complete with clutching forehead.
    Yours is so much more musical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wobbly, atmospheric pianists annoy me. I try to be unobtrusive, and sometimes I'm successful *smile*. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. thecontemplativecat here. thanks for the Chopin playing. What an amazing experience to hear him from across time. I am so impressed by your skills. I taught myself to play when I was 14. could not afford a piano, until a cousin loaned us t heir old piano. So joyful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your ability to teach yourself, and it was fortunate that a piano was loaned to you.
      My parents couldn't afford a piano, but they managed to buy one when I was ten. My mother was my first teacher.

      Delete
  5. One of my favorite composers, this piece reminds me of sailing over the ocean, and spotting my homeland of England.
    Your rendition is splendid, and your talents are endless.
    Thank you for sharing.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that this piece gave you pleasant memories of your homeland. I appreciate your comment, Jo.

      Delete
  6. It is a calming piece, for sure.
    Hope you are feeling halfways decent and having a good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much more calming than the Military Polonaise *smile*
      Unfortunately I've been having so many problems lately that I don't want to reveal them on my blog....

      Delete
  7. I really like your version, Jon. Lovely. I agree about the 'swooning' stuff. I saw a woman play this once and she damn near hurled herself off the piano stool! Really enjoy your videos. Please post more. Do you ever play Satie?
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. My first comment got messed up.
      I shouldn't be judgemental, but pianists who play unduly slow and theatrically swoon really annoy me.
      I became intrigued with Satie long ago when I was about 18, but for some reason I never played any of his music.
      The Gymnopedie No.1 is one of my favorites, too

      Delete
  8. Satie - Gymnopédie No. 1 is one of my fav's.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I'm not the swooning type." LOLOLO. I nearly spit my coffee. I'll never again hear that piece without envisioning the player's exaggerated body language.

    That's pretty neat you found that Debussy recording. I really enjoyed both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that the "swooning" quip amused you - - and it's absolutely true. Swooning has never been on my agenda. And I try not to make theatrical gestured when playing the piano. I used to have a habit of clenching my teeth, but I curtailed it....
      Thanks, Myra, it's always good to hear from you.

      Delete
  10. I first heard it years ago, and in the last 10 or so years, heard it too many times. It's great, once in a year or so. I like your version very much.
    I remember from an earlier look into the man, his dad was something of a anarchist, and briefly imprisoned for the tendency...made me like him a bit.
    Hope you're well as can be, I'm ok, like you, the chf takes a bit out of a person.
    I'll be back in the US soon, it's hard to refill rx's in some countries.
    Cheers
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clair de lune is definitely over-played, sometimes annoyingly so. I don't know much about Debussy's personal life - - but the singer Mary Garden said that he was only capable of loving himself.
      I'm not exactly doing well, but I'm struggling to keep going.
      Enjoy your travels, Mike, and thanks for thinking of me.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.