Friday, August 30, 2024

ECHOES OF DISTANT SUMMERS

  Note:

I re-post this at the end of every summer.
Why?
Because I like it.   Jon



 Dwelling continuously in the past is for idle dreamers. Occasionally visiting the past can be nourishment for a hungry soul.

 

There are times when I can close my eyes and make the distance of years melt away......

..... and suddenly I'm on the beach again, young and exuberant, immersed in the drowsy haze of a summer afternoon where the silver glare of sky and water mingle as one, where the soft sand burns my bare feet, and the salty scent of the ocean intoxicates my senses. The soothing, eternal roar of the waves seem to echo like the song of a shell pressed against my ear.

 I cherish those summers of distant memories, because now - - in the present purgatory of a different time and place, in the subtle shadows of my rapidly dwindling existence - - I fully appreciate their value. 

Memories often tend to assume halcyon proportions and our distant pasts sometimes seem better than they really were. Careful scrutiny of my past, however, confirms the fact that it did indeed harbor the best times of my life.

There is a fierce pang of sadness wedged in the heart of my memories, because what I miss most is the innocence and the optimism - - two precious things that I will never have again.




I was fortunate enough to have divided my youthful summers between the west coast and the east coast. 

I lived in Southern California which, in my biased opinion, was the greatest place on earth. I also spent summers on the east coast, the Jersey shore, where most of my relatives were. I was particularly partial to the Pacific Ocean, because it was my territory - - but the Atlantic had its own mesmeric powers. The Pacific - always blue, placid, inviting. The Atlantic - greenish gray, remote, moody.

 West Coast

In California, in Orange County, we lived less than five miles from the beach and it was an integral part of my life. I was well-acquainted with all the beach communities up the coast:
Laguna, Newport, Huntington, Bolsa Chica, Sunset, Seal Beach. 

Huntington Beach was the closest. Sometimes I'd ride my bike there. Occasionally I'd hitch a ride. All the kids hitched on Beach Boulevard and Pacific Coast Highway.....long ago when things seemed safe.


 The Huntington Beach Pier

Long, hot summer days languishing in the sand at Huntington, absorbing the perpetual sunshine. Eating corn dogs & "strips" (fried tortilla strips with a mild hot sauce). Drinking Cactus Coolers (an orange-pineapple soft drink that I think still exists). Always swimming. Sometimes surfing. Enduring sunburns and jellyfish stings. 


Midnight bonfiresmoonlit walks on the beach when the Grunion were running. Haunting the deserted pier at Seal Beach after midnight. Sailing with friends at Newport Beach on languid, carefree afternoons. Visiting Balboa Island and Catalina Island.

Later, when I had wheels, I'd drive to the beach or go with friends. Day or night, it was my most sacred refuge. 


Sudden flashback:
Driving with my best friend Mike in his red convertible Mustang along Pacific Coast Highway at sunset on the 4th of July. Stereo blaring, the evening alive with magic. Dazzling explosions of fireworks igniting every mile of the shore. The air warm and salty, heavy with the pungent sulfuric smell of  smoke.

  Years later I was best man at Mike's wedding. Marriage inevitably has a way of severing friendships and expunging the exuberance of youth. We lost contact long ago. The carefree days linger like taunting ghosts at the edge of our memories....


The Jersey Shore

East Coast

The east coast was always a blessed escape from unrelenting family problems and my father's insane violence.

I loved the colorful, comforting chaos of being alone in New York City: walking barefooted in Central Park, discovering museums, visiting Lincoln Center. Getting drunk in a sleazy Staten Island bar with my cousin Nancy and her husband Jim. Drinking was a new novelty to me then ( Nancy wasn't fond of drinking, but Jim and I got smashed).

Horseback riding with my cousin Nancy on early August evenings in the balmy New Jersey countryside. Boating along the Jersey coast and into New York Harbor (several of my relatives had boats). Watching the moon rise from the water in a sultry surrealistic haze. Long walks on the beach at Sandy Hook. Exploring the boardwalks at Asbury Park and Seaside Heights.


Asbury Park, New Jersey
 

Our once-large family has now dwindled drasticallyThe relatives are all dead, except for my cousins. Friends have vanished. And lovers. All those whom I truly cherished only remain in faded ghost memories, where distant voices still echo with warmth and laughter......

....and those golden summers linger tenderly in the recesses of my mind:  carefree times when the invincibility of youth deceived us into believing that life is eternal - -

- - where distant memories echo like the taunting pulse of a delicate whisper in a seashell pressed to my ear.

Jon V.



18 comments:

  1. Evocative writing, well done. Thanks for the look into your past, Jon, I feel I know you a little better now.
    SoCal was a poorly-imagined goal of mine as a callow youth in high school, in a small town in Oregon. My last year in high school two friends and I decided to take a road trip early one October our senior year, 1963. We piled in one of our cars, a '57 Ford, and headed out, leaving notes for parents. Lol. A month later we were back, bruised egos and broke. My basketball coach said it was a good thing for me the season hadn't started yet...
    It was my one deviation from an academic period that lasted several more years, but I remember it fondly, a time of freedom.
    Cheers my friend, and thanks again for the post. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mike - - I'm really glad you enjoyed this post. I tried to convey my deepest feelings, and I enjoy revealing my past.
      Your 1963 youthful excursion made me smile. Great expectations are often curtailed by rude reality.
      It's always good to hear from you. Take care.

      Delete
  2. The OC ain’t what it use to be, now so expensive ! Rents went out the roof, examples from family experience renting - 2 bedroom in 1982 $535 (= $ 1700 in 2024) when we moved out in 1990 it was $900 (= $2150 in 2024) Today it rents for $3200. :( Overpriced due to real estate speculation. Had a relative who was a muscleboy who lived in Venice Beach and paid $120 (= $970 in 2024)for a 1 bedroom! Today that place rents for $2500 ! Wait til these bubbles burst :( -Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your absolutely right - - OC is nothing like it used to be, and I'd never go back. I'm glad that I lived there when times were good. I remember when you could get a nice one bedroom apartment in Anaheim for $125 a month, and a luxurious apt. in the Hollywood area for $450.
      The prices for houses are impossible.

      Delete
    2. I meant "you're" instead of your

      Delete
    3. And meant to add my relative’s rent of $120 in Venice Beach was in 1972.

      Delete
  3. Splendid! I'm so glad you've shared this post once more. Even seeing your title sends delicious shivers throughout my whole.
    PS - What did you use to create that last photo? So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't often that I give anyone delicious shivers - - but I'm flattered.
      For some reason unbeknownst to me, there aren't too many people who appreciate my writing. Perhaps they're stunned into silence.....?

      I made that last photo long ago and honestly can't remember where I created it. I used to visit many different photo sites - - and now they all seem to be one big blur...

      Delete
  4. Wistful, dreamy, moving memories. Thanks for sharing, Jon.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always imagined the two coasts would be very different. In fact, areas of the coasts from north to south, also. I've only been to the Florida coast, but I hear it is very different than say the Jersey coast. You are lucky to have grown up knowing both. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coasts in different areas are all unique in their own way. The ocean in Northern California is much different from the Southern coast.
      I've never been to Florida, but I'm sure it's a lot different from the Jersey shore.
      Hope you and Allie are A-OK.

      Delete
  6. The memories you share of your life are never dull or uninteresting, Jon. Even though I grew up in NJ, my childhood didn’t include visits to the shore areas. However, I have visited Asbury Park and other places in adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Jersey is a small state, but it has a lot of interesting places and lots of history.
      Thank you for appreciating my memories - - I enjoy writing about them. I hope you're having a great Labor Day weekend!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing these memories.. They took me far away along with you. It seemed like another world to my quite boring life that I live or have lived. Thanks again.. Louise- your Tennessee neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my present life is boring - - which inspires me to cherish my memories. I'm glad you were transported with me.
      Thanks, Louise!

      Delete
  8. What beautiful memories and places you have been. I've never been on the west coast although I've read so many things about it's splendor. Hold on to those memories my friend, it's what inspires and keeps us going. Cooler weather in our fair city ....
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jo - - memories often keep us going. I (unfortunately) have many bad memories,, but the good ones shine like soothing sunlight.
      Cooler weather is here, too, and it's delightful.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.