Wednesday, August 21, 2024

TANGO AND DEATH




My latest video. This is the famous tango scene from the 1921 blockbuster film The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, directed by Rex Ingram. This was Rudolph Valentino's first major film role, and it established him as a star.

 Valentino's partner in this tango scene was Beatrice Dominguez. At that time, Dominguez - known as La Bella Sevilla - was a popular dancer in Los Angeles, who also occasionally appeared in silent movies.

Tragically, Beatrice Dominguez died at the age of twenty-four of a ruptured appendix in February, 1921 - - shortly before the release of the film.

In her brief scene with Valentino, Dominguez was portrayed as somewhat of a tart and her bizarre makeup made her look like a floozy. In reality she was really quite lovely.


The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is one of the greatest silent films, and one of my personal favorites. The original length was three hours, but most of the versions seen today have been edited to 2 1/2 hours.

It's based on the 1916 Spanish novel (the same title) by Vicente Blasco Ibanez, and takes place during World War I. Valentino plays the part of Julio Desnoyers, the grandson of a wealthy Argentine landowner. Julio is a shiftless playboy whose main pursuit is pleasure. He eventually gets involved with a married woman and brings disgrace to his family.

When WWI errupts, Julio enlists in the army and is hurled into the horrors of war and the brutality of the real world - - which drastically curtails his former carefree attitude. Unfortunately he is killed before returning home.


The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is a powerful film, infused with religious symbolism and an explosive gamut of human emotions. The raw  creativity in silent films is astounding.

The tango scene in the movie depicts Julio during his reckless youth. It served as an introduction to Valentino's on-screen appeal and also featured his dancing skills ( note the sharp spurs on his boots). The elderly man sitting with a younger woman is Julio's grandfather.

The Russian philosopher in the film has a saint-like (almost Christ-like) presence. He brings a sense of rationality during the chaotic onslaught of war, and reveals Biblical predictions to Julio and his friend.



The horseman of death

In my humble opinion, the final scene of this film is one of the most powerful in movie history. 

It depicts a massive cemetery, with thousands of graves of those soldiers killed in WWI. Julio's parents wander about, trying to find their son's grave. The Russian philosopher appears, seemingly out of nowhere, and leads them to Julio's grave. 

"Did you know him?" asks Julio's father.

The philosopher spreads his arms out and replies 

"I knew them all."

Video best viewed full screen
Music score by Carl Davis

Blogger messed this up -- I had to edit several times.     Jon



23 comments:

  1. Admittedly, I didn’t know much about Valentino, but recentky read an article about a mansion he formerly owned in CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mansion was Falcon Lair. It was supposedly haunted and I saw it several times. The final owner was heiress Doris Duke, who died there.
      Part of the mansion has been demolished.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jon for refreshing my memory. I thought it was once owned by Ms Duke and now recall watching a YouTube video about the house. You're correct in saying most of was demolished, but there was a separate cottage/garage (?) left standing.

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure, but I think it is a garage with a guest house on the second floor.

      Delete
  2. What a tragedy, Beatrice's passing. Every time I get to longing for an older, gentler time, I need to remind myself of the blessings (modern medicine) we enjoy today.
    The final scenes you describe give me goosebumps. Now that's great cinematography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a fierce silent film enthusiast, I always wondered what happened to Beatrice. I heard several bogus rumors. Thanks to the Internet, I finally learned about her early demise. So many people died needlessly before modern medicine.
      The end of this film never fails to give me goosebumps.

      Delete
  3. So tragic for Beatrice Dominguez and Valentino to die young. As Mevley says much to be thankful for modern medicine, especially antibiotics, which may have saved them both.
    In 1925 Valentino had Falcon Lair built, before that he and then wife Natasha Rambova had Villa Valentino built in Whitley Heights by the Cahuenga Pass in the Hollywood Hills.
    Villa Valentino was torn down to make way for the Hollywood Freeway in 1951.
    In 1921, at the time Four Men of the Apocalypse was released, Valentino rented apartments in Hollywood.
    With the film’s success, and being the first film in Hollywood to make a 1 million dollar profit, Valentino went house hunting and Villa Valentino was the result. -Rj
    PS: a good site for old Hollywood is Silents are Golden with great overviews of silent films and a section on homes of the stars. And another good site is author Martin Turnbull and his Garden of Allah novels, a great old Hollywood places tab is included. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew very much about Villa Valentino. Unfortunately he only lived in Falcon Lair for a short time before he died. I saw that place several times - - a nearby resident told me his horse stables were haunted.
      Falcon Lair was located in the same area where Sharon Tate was murdered.
      I also heard that when MGM was filming Four Horsemen, the studio made Valentino buy his own wardrobe, at his expense.
      Thanks for the silent movie links!

      Delete
  4. "Julio's parents wander about, trying to find their son's grave."

    Oh, Lord. This stopped my heart cold. I have two sons.


    "The Russian philosopher appears, seemingly out of nowhere, and leads them to Julio's grave.

    "Did you know him?" asks Julio's father.

    The philosopher spreads his arms out and replies

    "I knew them all."


    Powerful.

    I don't know if I have the heart to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That final scene is truly powerful. No matter how many times I've seen it, I always get emotionally overwhelmed.
      There are so many silent movies that are better than ones that are made nowadays.

      Delete
  5. The movie might be great when you can see the whole thing, but just seeing him be such a dangerous arrogant jerk to the woman and man she was dancing with--awk! I am so glad times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie initially deliberately portrays Julio as an arrogant ass, but as the story unfolds and the war erupts - Julio's attitude changes drastically.
      Unfortunately, as he becomes humanized, his life is cut short.

      That opening tango scene contains some dark humor.

      Delete
  6. Unfortunately, at the time she died, an appendectomy, now sometimes done as an outpatient procedure with a half-inch scar, was a major operation, and often misdiagnosed and the patient wasn't treated in time.
    I've seen the film "Four Horsemen..." at an art house cinema some years back, and I agree...it's one of the best, classic silent films. And a real anti-war statement back when I saw it.
    Hope you are well, Jon. I'm enjoying the relatively cool Aug at this time.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is truly amazing how medical things have advanced during the past century. Dominguez and Valentino would both have probably avoided early deaths.
    I love silent films, and many of them still retain a powerful impact.
    It has finally cooled down here in TN, thank goodness.
    I'm feeling reasonably well - which is all I can ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Italy in the 1920’s Valentino was not widely known as they had their own cinema stars. When he visited Italy in the early 1920’s, Italians asked Valentino who ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Real curious! Did you ever get your ice cream? Can you get the famous Blue Bell from Texas? 😆
    Pat/Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, after several tries, I haven't had any more grocery deliveries from Walmart. From what I heard, the delivery drivers are over-worked and many deliveries have been cancelled. I probably won't have ice cream until Christmas!
      I haven't seen Blue Bell here.

      Delete
  10. I have never heard of this silent film before. But I imagine that creativity was a MUST when making this type of movie. I have; however, heard of Valentino.

    Sorry, I have been absent this week. I was having technical difficulties thanks to my cat Teddy lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the silent films are more creative than the films nowadays. They didn't rely on technology back then - - they used their own ingenuity.
      Our feline friends often have a knack for causing technical difficulties. I know from experience...

      Delete
  11. I laughed when the band shrugged and kept playing! Not sure why that was so funny to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several moments of subtle humor inserted into this scene. I like when the band shrugged.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.