Sunday, February 10, 2019

NEVER ON SUNDAY



This post has nothing to do with the 1960 movie.

Do I hear sighs of relief or disappointment?

My blog readership has plummeted  to the bottom of the toilet. I figure it's because people are sick of my bitching and complaints.... or they're tired of my beautiful piano music.

It's neither, Jon. We're disgusted with seeing photos of the forest and your damn cats.

Relax, Kemosahbee. No photos today. Just an excruciatingly tedious account of my Sunday adventure.

There's always a method to my madness, which explains the Never On Sunday theme.

I never go out on Sunday. But today I decided to break that cardinal rule.

I desperately needed to go to town (again) - because when I went last Thursday I got a bad migraine headache and couldn't go shopping. And, to make matters worse, the wind was about 350 mph (very slight exaggeration).

SO....
rain was predicted for Sunday afternoon and for the next few days. I figured if I got up REALLY early Sunday morning I could go to town and do my shopping quickly (before the rain began). 

I got up at 7:00 a.m. (which is insanely early for me) after having LESS than two hours of sleep (which is usual for me).

I didn't feel well at all but managed to stagger out to the car. As I was staggering, I noticed sporadic raindrops starting to fall. 

As I'm navigating the narrow, winding, scary-as-hell mountain road to town the heavens burst and a Biblical deluge ensued.

When I arrived in town it was still pouring. I managed to get gas (that's petrol for those of you in Yorkshire) and go to Walmart (where I always buy cat food).

Things were going reasonably well until I went to the supermarket to do the grocery shopping.
Somewhere between the ground beef and the frozen tater tots I got (yet another) migraine headache.

This was a Mega Migraine. The mother of all migraines. I was nearly incapacitated.

I got flushed, my entire body felt tingly, I was dizzy and nauseous, my head was pounding. Worst of all I saw psychedelic flashing lights, multi-colored zigzag lines, and lost half the sight in both my eyes.

That's what my "normal" migraines are always like. They scare the shit out of me when I'm safely at home.
You can imagine what it's like when you're in the middle of a supermarket.

I managed to get to the checkout counter and pay for my stuff.

Outside the rain was still pouring and I could hardly find my car in the parking lot. After I shoved all my groceries (and there were a LOT) into the trunk, I felt like I was going to pass out.

I sat in the car for about half an hour. I considered driving to my cousin's house but didn't want to burden her with any more of my problems.
(she endured enough of my problems last summer, when I was broke and suicidal).

So I eventually drove home. The rain was torrential. The narrow road was slippery. The entire ordeal was like an episode of The Twilight Zone. In slow motion.

Happy ending?
Heck, I guess so.
Got home safely. Had a nap. Ate dinner. Gave the cats their new food.

It's supposed to rain for the next few days.

20 comments:

  1. Well, Thank goodness you made it home!!!! I very rarely even get headaches, but a aunt of mine used to get the worst migraines. She had to be in a completely dark, cold room, with no noise and could be in there sometimes for two days till it passed. They never did concluded why she got them so bad.


    Blogging has been very quiet everywhere lately. My lazy ass while hibernating has been binge watching a bbc drama detective show called Vera. I'm am enthralled.

    Now take care of yourself. Good thing you rested half an hour before driving. When I get tired I often pull off the road to find a quite place to put the seat back and sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women seem to get migraines far more often than men. I'm sure they're hereditary. My Mom used to get the same kind of aura migraines that I do. And they are often caused by stress. I'm completely stressed out even on a good day. If I ever had a calm day I'd probably die from the shock.

      I like detective shows but haven't heard of Vera. Lately I've been binge watching old episodes of "Kitchen Nightmares" with chef Ramsey.

      Delete
  2. "The worst day of the week is Sunday, and they close the bars?" Janis Joplin

    I think she was talking about many bars in the deep south of America during the 1960s? Anyway, I have not been to a bar in more than 20 years, and I count my blessings: Bars (straight or gay) should only be frequented by young attractive people that love to dance - and have a natural talent for doing so.

    Once upon a time I was a great dancer, but those days are long gone. Now all I can offer is my own quite exhausted self. It isn't a pretty sight. So I remain at home. I've now been reduced to ordering groceries online and having them delivered (for a small fee). Apart from a few dented cans - I really cannot complain: Plus it's always nice to have company! Even if it means a 20% tip. Such is life... Jon, please take good care of yourself and your cats. I don't think you have lost any readers: It's just too damn miserable and cold for most of us to leave a comment. Plus Blogger is now changing the comment feature!

    Spring cannot get here soon enough. Big Hugs,

    Dylan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always disliked the bar scene, yet I went to them frequently when I was in my early 20's and lived in California. In fact, sometimes I bar-hopped all night. I never danced, however, because I was a rotten dancer. You're right - bars should be frequented by young, attractive people.

      When I lived in the Missouri Ozarks the bars were closed on Sunday. There aren't any bars here in rural Tennessee and I sure don't miss them.

      I've never ordered groceries online but it's a great idea - especially now that I live so far from stores.

      It really is too damn cold and miserable to do anything constructive.All I want to do is snuggle in bed and sleep.

      Your hugs are always appreciated.

      Delete
  3. That is frightening as H***, Jon! Do you mean that not another soul in the store (or parking lot) paused to ask if you were alright? Are there no nearby walk-in medical facilities? Still, you persevered. You did it, Jon. This calls for a cigar and brandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I always have the ability to feign normalcy even when I'm half-dead. I don't think anyone noticed me. There is a walk-in medical facility here but I didn't even think of it.

      I'll gladly accept the brandy - but to heck with the cigar.

      Delete
  4. i am happy to hear you got home safely and the cats got their new food. migraines are incapacitating for sure. i was surprised you were able to get the bags of groceries out of the car without falling down in the mud from all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I breathed a BIG sigh of relief when I finally got home - but it was hell trying to get all the groceries up the muddy hill and into the house.

      This peaceful, "simple" rural life seems to be killing me. I am constantly stressed.

      The kitties are content and presently sleeping.

      Delete
  5. I think we might be pathologically connected, Jon. I felt lousy all day but didn't have to drive anywhere. You're a stalwart fellow in the the throes of migraine. It's not even 10 p.m. and I'm going to read something pleasant in bed. Hope you --and I-- feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for the migraine and the rain, my day would have been fairly pleasant. Unfortunately I am always stressed and continuously feel lousy. Reading in bed and trying to relax is the best thing to do.

      It's presently 2:00 a.m. here (Monday) and I'm just about ready to collapse into bed.

      Delete
  6. Thank goodness you got home without any mishaps. I have never suffered with migraine or ordinary headaches but I know from others how debilitating migraines are. I'm glad you got home without any mishaps. I don't cook now, I order ready meals from the supermarket, and have them delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be wonderful to have your meals delivered - just like having a cook!
      I get weary of cooking for myself and I often opt for the easiest meals to make.

      Delete
  7. You keep reminding me, why I love living in the city. Take care, stress less. If you can drive through that, you can do ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always found cities to be stressful - but the stress here in the peaceful countryside is killing me. The frequent foul weather always makes my journey to town a nightmare.

      Delete
  8. back in my 30's I had a lot of migraines, I had lots of stress then. I learned that if I kept about 4 inch or more blocks under the front legs of my bed,to elevate my head, it lessened the amount of migraines I had. hope it works for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really believe that stress is one of the major causes of migraines. I've never heard of the elevation theory but it's definitely worth a try. I hope you and Pat have a great time in good ol' California!

      Delete
  9. What an ordeal! Really--what we won't do for our critters.
    If you made it through these last two trips to town you can make it through just about anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my stress would lessen if the weather would be pleasant the next time I drive to town. Oh well, at least it didn't snow! I hope you and Annie are staying warm and cozy.
      My best regards to the jackrabbit!

      Delete
  10. I suffered from migraine headaches some years ago, and magically they disappeared ! I used to take Cafergot if you feel a migraine coming on, it would ward it away, and for me, it worked.
    I kept a diary of what I had eaten, red dyes especially, seemed to trigger mine, those found in hot dogs and bologna, chocolate was my weakness..
    Hope you have more stress-free days.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Migraines have always been an enigma to me. They seem to be hereditary - my mother had them and so did one of her sisters. Stress is definitely a factor. But there were several times that I got migraines after taking a hot bath - and other times after I ate chocolate.
    Keeping a migraine diary is a good idea. I'm glad your migraines disappeared!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.