Tuesday, January 16, 2018

RARE LIVE FOOTAGE AND LATE NIGHT SCARE



Okay - it's not exactly rare....and it's definitely not live. But it's footage!
Footage that I filmed this morning specifically for your viewing pleasure.

I almost never take videos with my El Cheapo digital camera for two reasons:
1. It takes very short crappy videos.
2. It devours the camera battery.

I used to have a very good camcorder, but it's one of the many things that the movers "lost" (or stole) when I moved to Tennessee. 

It snowed all day today. I stepped outside (in my bathrobe) at around nine o'clock this morning to film a few seconds of my back yard. At the time it was 12 degrees (Fahrenheit). The temp is supposed to drop far below zero tonight.

Late last night - at about 3:00 a.m. - I went outside just to check the weather. It was very dark and bitterly cold. Despite the frigid temperature, I stood there for several minutes savoring the incredible silence and gazing at the black sightless woods.

Suddenly a rowdy band of coyotes started yelping and howling right at the edge of the woods, only a few yards from where I was standing.

It scared the jeeters out of me because there was previously no sign of them. They seemed to appear out of nowhere, and they were clamoring down the hillside heading directly towards me!

I ran like hell for the back door and made it safely inside. 

There are always coyotes around here but they never bother me and very seldom scare me.
This time I was alarmed.
Had they been watching me the whole while I was out there?
Were they hungry? Did I look good enough to eat?
(hell, everybody looks more appetizing in the dark).

Anyway, here's another very brief video of my back yard that I took this morning.

When I just checked my blog I noticed that this second video had inexplicably vanished!!! So, I've re-posted it:







19 comments:

  1. I think the videos are actually not back sweet cheeks. Why do I picture you in a robe with cowboy boots on?????? Meanwhile, our warm spell is ending...we are to get another snow storm tonight around midnight into tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I WAS wearing cowboy boots with the robe!!! I didn't want to ruin my slippers in the snow.

      Delete
  2. what serene peaceful views of the snow gently falling on your backyard. it's beautiful there. however coyotes aren't anything to mess with. glad you escaped safely inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing I was near the back porch and didn't have to run far.

      Delete
  3. Holy hootenanny, Jon. I started to type "those poor" coyotes, then figure they're far more acclimated to the weather than you. (I'd have probably fainted and provided them plenty of suet to last until Spring.)

    Nevertheless, I'm enjoying seeing the snow fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel sorry for the coyotes during these hungry winters....although I'd prefer not to sacrifice myself for their dinner (I'd give them indigestion).

      Delete
  4. beautiful photos, Jon. Just showed those to Norma --didn't tell her about how cold it was-- and she thought it was beautiful. You did good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow always does look beautiful from afar. We won't mention that it's presently MINUS 3 degrees as I'm writing this (Wednesday night).

      Delete
  5. I do love snow coming down softly and not horizontally. So much prettier and calmer. The coyotes!! Running towards you--OMG! Now that would be scary. Coyotes, wolves, wild dogs--pack animals can be dangerous! Glad you hadn't ventured outside very far. I probably wouldn't go out at night without a big stick or a baseball bat and something that made a lot of loud noise (besides me)...wouldn't a bullhorn be perfect? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bullhorn would be a good idea. My father used to have one but I don't know what happened to it.
      I have often gone out here at night (which is truly crazy) but this latest incident has made me think twice. There are not only coyotes here but also wild dogs. The dogs scare me the most.

      Delete
  6. I'd say those coyotes were observing you, Jon, since they stalk their prey before pouncing on them. Good thing you made it inside. The videos captured your peaceful surroundings very nicely.

    I'm presently in a study class learning more about ( Snowflake Science ) where we're diving into the molecular dynamics of crystal growth and how ice crystals grow from water vapor ... which is the physics of snowflakes and how no two flakes are ever alike. Patterns are similar, but never completely alike. Too bad the naked eye can't spot this.

    PS - Hello back to Dylan and thank you for the kind words. I miss hearing from you on your blog, but I get it. All the best, take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything was so perfectly silent and peaceful. I was really startled when the coyotes appeared seemingly out of nowhere. I have no doubt that they had been watching me.
      Snowflake science is a very unique thing to study. I'm definitely not scientifically inclined, but it's truly amazing (astounding, really) that no two snowflakes are alike.

      Delete
    2. Hello to you, dear Helga! It sounds like your life is going well for you. This news does my heart good :-)

      Delete
  7. Now here where I live in Alaska the weather is in the 40's during the day and above freezing at night. Can you say icy road conditions?
    I had a Fuji digital camera that gave up the ghost last spring. When I sent it in for repairs I got a call saying it was too old and they no longer had parts for it. They offered a replacement but when I asked for one that used SD cards the guy practically laughed at me. Technology, pfffft.
    We used to howl at the coyotes and they'd howl back. Of course they were a long ways away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it almost sounds like summer in your neck of the woods. Right now (I'm writing this long after midnight) it is minus 4 degrees - which is really frigid for Tennessee.
      My camera is an ancient Kodak Easy Share, which still works really well (knock wood). I can't keep up with technology...and don't understand it.

      I never thought about howling at the coyotes. I'll have to try it some time - - as long as they're far away.

      Delete
  8. It's so cold here in south Texas but nary a snow flake in sight. Enjoyed your video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula. I enjoy watching the snow, as long as I don't have to go out in it. The good thing about living in the wilderness is I don't have to worry about shoveling it.

      Delete
    2. Hey, Jon: I just wanted to thank you for your recent support. You are a very brave and loyal friend...

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Dylan. I'm glad you got my comment - - and I truly hope this devastating problem will be resolved.
      Life is tough enough, without all the added shit that people pile on us.
      Take care.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.