Sunday, December 30, 2018

REFLECTIONS



 

I never make New Year resolutions. It's a well-intended gesture that is basically useless, futile, and seldom realized.

For me, New Year's Eve has always been a time for sober reflection and serious introspection. As past years pile up behind me and future years begin to look comparatively sparse, my reflections are becoming more grim.
That's the pessimism in me - which often has a rein on my emotions.

Optimists assure us that we have control of our lives and destiny and can do anything that we set our minds to.

The realist in me knows that, to a very large extent, this isn't true. No matter how lofty our goals may be, our plans can be easily be thwarted by the unexpected. Life is a maze filled with detours, obstacles, dead ends, bogus routes, and passages to nowhere. It's impossible to securely pave a seamless road to our intended destination.

This past decade was the worst time of my entire life. I was plagued by one major disaster after another, which - without going into painful details -  eventually rendered me into what I am today: a hermit existing in near-poverty in the Tennessee wilderness.

As if that wasn't enough, I have been inundated with health issues and physical ailments that I've never mentioned to anyone - not even my relatives or closest friends.

In essence, I've become a shadow of my former self and it isn't easy to deal with. 

I suppose the deepest psychological wounds I presently bear are those inflicted by my losses:
I lost relatives, friends, and lovers through death. I lost all of my financial savings when I lived in Texas. When I came to Tennessee the movers lost all of my most cherished possessions.

The mirror keeps reminding me that my youth and good looks have vanished.

I know I'm not alone with my grievances. Life is indiscriminately cruel and we are all plagued with subtractions of one kind or another.

I have no list of New Year resolutions, but at the threshold of 2019  my reflections have yielded one simple, redeeming thought:

The past cannot be changed, no matter how much we grieve. The future is eternally unpredictable.

The only tangible gift we have is the present.

Instead of wallowing in the mire of bitterness and regret, it is far more productive to focus on the things we have now - no matter how sparse or humble they may be.

Within the shroud of shadow there is always a hopeful ray of light.

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hope is truly one of our greatest treasures.

      Delete
  2. I've been through quite a bit in my lifetime already, too. I like to think of myself as a realistic optimist. An eyes-wide-open optimist by choice. Life is truly a crap shoot. It can turn upside down in a moment. And it will. So, in the meantime, I choose to be as happy as possible and be grateful it isn't total chaos at the moment. It could be worse. Don't ever think it can't be--LOL! I've made that mistake before. But it's also precious and filled with little moments of beauty and calm and kindness. I choose to hold on to those. *hugs from Fargo*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Realistic optimism sounds good to me! I think I'm a pessimist mainly because I have a fear that if I'm too content or happy something is bound to go wrong. It's a matter of low self-esteem. Savoring the moment is the best thing we can do. Hugs from Tennessee.

      Delete
    2. But something WILL go wrong eventually whether you worry about it or not--LOL! I choose to tell myself I have plenty of time to be upset, sad, angry, or whatever when the time comes...and try to let go of all that as soon as possible so I get some good time in before the next thing goes wrong--ROFL! Realistic optimist. Makes most of your time a lot more pleasant. I tuck away all the good (and even boring) days to remember when things do turn to shit. ;)

      Delete
  3. I have a friend who posts excruciatingly "feel good" messages on Facebook. Most are gag-worthy but a few seem somewhat realistic. Getting old sucks. I was at a repair shop the other day. The guy sitting next to me and I got into a conversation and ended up comparing health stories. Really? A complete stranger and this is the best I can come up with to discuss. No wonder young people avoid senior citizens. It's true that we have very little control over our destinies but how we react supposedly is the secret to happiness, or at least acceptance. I wish you all the best in 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting old really does suck, but at least sharing health issues brings seniors together (*smile*). I know several of those Pollyanna-type people who constantly spread "feel good" messages. Their intentions are noble - but I'd still like to punch them.
      On that dire note I'll wish you a great 2019!

      Delete
  4. "The only tangible gift we have is the present." I keep telling myself that over and over (and over). More often than not, however, my mind returns to places where only cobwebs dwell. I'm going to take your advice; let's build one another up! Happy New Year, Jon … what have we got to lose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, my mind constantly returns to those places where only cobwebs dwell, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. My memories always sustain and inspire me.
      Building each other up is essential to survival (even avowed hermits need encouragement). Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. Hey Jon, just wanted to swing by and give you and your sweet cats a great big 2019 hug! It's really odd the way you see yourself in the mirror? I see the exact opposite: You are creative, intelligent, caring, humble, and one handsome devil.

    And I know I am not alone in these thoughts. Anyway, I am very much a pessimist, so I understand how these destructive thoughts can affect the way we see ourselves and the world. You are a wonderful person in every way I can think of. And you have strength of character - let that strength make 2019 one of your best years ever!

    P.S. I am not really a blogger anymore. If blogging means being a part of social media, then I am a total drop out. However, there are times when I will post a song or movie trailer I am especially fond of. Oh, and the odd comment or two I will leave when I feel healthy enough and inspired to do so. You caught me on a good day :-)

    BTW, You MUST see the new Lizzie Borden movie! I've, watched it twice, and I plan on seeing it again in a month or two: It really is that good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dylan, you have a way with words that fills me with warmth and restores my confidence and my faith in humanity (not an easy thing to do). You also understand the "real" me, which I don't always successfully project. For some reason, I still find myself often hiding behind the "tough" facade that I used when I was a youth on the streets of Hollywood.
      In reality, I'm far from being tough. I have a sweet and sentimental soul - and I know that is a trait we both share.....

      I haven't seen the new Lizzie movie, but I watched the trailer on your blog. It definitely looks like a very intriguing film which I'd like to see.

      Delete
  6. I forgot to mention it, but I LOVE this new header photo! And the hourglass is mesmerizing, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red sky at night, shepherds delight... isn't that so?
    New year is no fun for me either, it makes me reflect too much on things I need to put aside. However, that doesn't stop me from wishing you and everyone else a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it's rainy and dreary here on this New Year's Eve so unfortunately there will be no red sky this evening.
    I hope you have a wonderful and blessed New Year, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, here we are again dear. I have to tell you that the new header picture is amazing!!! I always like a calm and quite New Years to ring in the year and et the tone for the first month. I have yet again enjoyed your musing and music your always so kind to share. I do have good wishes of health and peace for you Jon, and I hope 2019 will bring you happiness .

    Happy New Year🎈🎉🎆🍸💋🎩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe that the holidays are now over and we're into another new year. Heck, I haven't even finished celebrating Halloween yet.
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  10. happy new year. i agree with you..."The only tangible gift we have is the present." love the new header picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally reached the point in life where I'm just thankful for every new day. Have a peaceful and blessed new year.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.