Wednesday, February 6, 2019

SUNSET IN FRAGMENTS



One drawback of being surrounded by trees and hills is that you can never get a good view of a sunrise or sunset.

These majestic displays of nature are almost completely obscured when the trees are lush with leaves.
During the lean and naked winter months, I manage to see the sunrise and sunset in fragments.

In the back of my house, which haphazardly faces east, I can see the rising sun peeking through a thick clutter of trees.
In the front, which sort-of faces west, I can catch glimpses of sunsets. 

I took these photos last evening - thinking they would be spectacular.
Unfortunately, they are mediocre - but suitable enough to fill an empty blog post. 

I'm savoring this unseasonably mild weather, which is supposed to end abruptly on Friday. 
And I'm dreading the fact that I have to drive to town this week. I'll probably go on Thursday, while the weather is still agreeable.

Much like the sunsets, my entire existence seems to be in fragments lately. 
Fragments and shreds.


Views from the front porch



5 comments:

  1. What do you mean they are mediocre? I think they are flippin' marvellous. I have never seen a sky like the pictures you show today.
    After months of ice cold weather I woke today to feel warmth around the place so I'm cheering like a football supporter. Next door neighbour ruined it by saying it won't last. Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Gorgeous!!! I get less of a view than you do since I moved. I used to be up on third floor at the old apartment with a broad view of the horizon. But here I have grouse, sparrows, and rabbits all winter so I can't complain. And even a few more varieties of birds in the summer.

    Yes--get to town while the getting is good! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW … like fire in the sky! You're exactly right about trees obscuring the view. So different than Arizona. Coming back from the airport last week I was finally treated to a sunrise (my favorite) … I love that feeling the Universe is giving me another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is abso-freaking-lutely NOTHING mediocre about those photos! They're gorgeous.

    It's seventy degrees today, and it's supposed to get near eighty tomorrow. Feels great, but seeing as how it's still technically winter, it makes me wonder how hot it's gonna be this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really impressed by your photos, Jon! Just remember to drive carefully and let the theologians worry about the fragmentation of existence. It's what we pay them for, dammit.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.