Tuesday, August 20, 2019

BIG BAD BITCH OF A SUMMER





This summer is a huge bitch. And it doesn't want to end.

I've lived in Southern California and West Texas - - which means I'm acquainted with agonizing six-month summers. 

When I came to the Tennessee wilderness I was delighted to discover summers that are brief and relatively mild. At least the first three were.

This fourth summer is a combination of the Twilight Zone, Wild Kingdom, and Death Valley Days.

I've endured more misery, horror, and pathos than one humble blog could maintain.

(What exactly is pathos? I threw it in for literary enhancement)

It hasn't rained in three days, which - in this area - probably means a serious drought.
The "brush" on my property has grown so tall from the continuous rain that it exceeds my six-foot-one height and impedes any attempt to drive out (in a vehicle).

I no longer give a rat's royal ass about trying to maintain it.

 My front "yard"
This is the shallow part

Of course, the tall brush attracts critters - which is probably why I had a snake in the house last week (see previous post).
I'm still completely unnerved over that adventure. I keep looking everywhere - thinking I'll find another humongous serpent.

I have squirrels in the roof and 'possums under the house. The critter invasion permanently expels the concept of all those cutsie Disney animal films that I was indoctrinated with as a child.

I'm ready to load my shotgun and annihilate Bambi. 

Did I mention that there was a small bat (yes, bat!) hovering around the kitchen window tonight?
I was making nachos at midnight (one of the advantages of living alone).
Suddenly there was persistent banging on the window.
 I was stunned to see a fluttering bat looking in at me. 
My first thought was Dracula!
My second thought was - he might break the glass.

I pulled down the blinds and turned out the bright light.

Bugs, anyone?
I'm still plagued with gnats (see two previous posts) and when they finally disappear, the Asian beetles will arrive (no, I'm not jesting). Happens every year.

My latest wasp sting (I've now had four this summer) is healing nicely but still itches.
The wasps are building nests everywhere and their aggression knows no bounds. I eliminated three nests this week and noticed a new one being constructed near one of my windows.

Four wasps got in the house yesterday and I was running around in my Fruit of the Looms armed with a gallon (yes, gallon) of bug spray. I managed to kill two of them.

Late last night (about 4:00 a.m.) I was in bed reading, naked (too damn hot to wear clothes), when a wasp came out of nowhere. It zoomed around the reading lamp.
I jumped out of bed and raced around the room, stark naked and armed with a fly swat
(don't try to visualize this - it's immensely unappealing).
Never did find the wasp.

Did I mention the intense heat?
It's been hotter than a tamale in Hades.
The header photo of my cat Kitzee (also known as Scratch) attests to the fact.

Bosco stays in low, cool places, but still enjoys basking near the sun.



16 comments:

  1. You should charge for wasp stings. Or maybe utter a loud prayer when they attack. I have a prayer that consists of four letter words which makes me feel better when invaded by flying pests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually speechless and breathless when the angry wasps are chasing me. The four letter words and curses come after I'm stung....

      Delete
  2. As I was reading this post, Jon, and the misery of your summer in the TN wilderness just kept getting more miserable, My thoughts were that I would have been packing up and looking to relocate. But, I know that is easier said than done in some cases, perhaps yours as well. You had me feeling bad for you with those wasps and snake last week...now a bat and more wasps invasions and those ever annoying gnats/fruit flies. I sure hope that cooler weather comes soon for you. And not even going to mention the front yard...whoops I just did, sorry😕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought that life in the wilderness would be pleasant, peaceful, and carefree.
      Instead, I have more problems and complications than ever. I had initially been trying to ignore the negatives, but it's getting more and more difficult to do. I don't mind bats. I can (almost) tolerate wasps.
      But the indoor snake really unnerved me.

      Delete
  3. I'd be really, really scared of a bat that has lost it's sonar and is banging into windows!! Awk!! And to think I was annoyed by a very loud cricket I couldn't find last night--LOL! Are you sure you don't want to move?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bat surprised me ....almost as much as the snake. I've never seen a bat banging against a window before. Fortunately he was small and didn't break the glass. I'm hoping he won't return!

      After these past few weeks, there's nothing left that can surprise me - - except maybe Bigfoot...

      Delete
  4. I think I had rather have wasps then snakes, I would have to move out If I found a snake in my house. You one ahead of me on the wasp stings I was coming in the outside door Monday when something hit me on my neck I hit and killed him but not before getting stung. I called pest control back they came and still couldn't find a nest but sprayed all the bushes again, still not sure that helps. I'm hiring someone to cut my grass every two weeks and since we have had rain these past two weeks they were really in need of mowing when they come this morning. Maybe yours will dry up and die when winter gets here. Take care. Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wasps are really frighteningly aggressive, Jean. I get attacked almost every time I open a door - - and that's also when they quickly come inside.
      I'm surprised that pest control couldn't find a nest when you called. They must be nesting somewhere near your house.

      It's always easy for me to find the nests, because they build them above my doors and windows.

      I should really try to get someone to cut the brush on my property, but it's not easy out here in this rural area.
      Most of it will dry up in the winter.

      Delete
  5. I keep an oversize man's shirt by the back door to protect a large part of my anatomy from mosquitos -- but now I'm thinking you need a scythe. These unholy creatures may have won the battle, but my bet's on you winning the war!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, I could possibly win if I had a tractor, a shotgun, a live-in exterminator,.....and was 20 years younger.

      With all the insects around here - and all the rain - it's amazing that I have very few mosquitoes. Perhaps I should thank God for small favors....

      Delete
  6. Oh Jon, I agree with you 100%...this summer has been a bitch! I am so sick of sweating. Like you, I used to live in a very hot and humid area (Florida) for 20 years, so I know how intense heat and humidity feels. But I swear, over the years, even here in Northeast, the summers are getting worse every year. And summer seems to drag on longer and longer every year. I commend you because I couldn't live without A/C in the summer. I don't run my unit all day, however, I need it on (full blast) at night when I sleep.

    Man, I'm sorry to hear about your lack of rain because I know hoe dangerous that can be. I remember certain areas of Orlando that would break out into fires because of how dry everything was. Even houses would catch on fire.

    "My first thought was Dracula!"

    OMG, that made me laugh out loud because I love anything that has to do with Dracula. I used to tell people that I was vampire in a past life because I love all things GOTH.

    Love the pics of you cats. I'd be like the cat in the first photo--laying right in front of a fan!

    Stay cool, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was happy when I first moved here because the summers were rather short. This summer, however, is dragging on forever - and the forecast for September isn't much better.
    This is the first place I ever lived without A/C and it's really miserable.

    Hey, I love everything GOTH, too - and I've always had a penchant for Dracula. I'm sure it has to do with my Hungarian heritage. I've always maintained that some of my ancestors were vampires.

    I couldn't believe there was a bat trying to get in the window!!! Good thing he was small or he might have broken the glass.

    Glad you like my cat photos - - (you're the only one who mentioned them)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the kitties trying to stay cool. glad you shut the blinds on Dracula. bats make me just as squeamish as snakes. god help you out there in the wilderness trying to fend off these creatures. i'm allergic to bees so i'd be toast if one stung me. hang in there. hope cooler temps arrive soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really stunned when I saw a bat hovering by the window. He was very small (thank goodness) but it was like a horror movie. I never know what to expect next - but I'm VERY apprehensive about finding another snake in the house.

      It's extremely scary to be allergic to bees. I always get bad reactions from insect bites, but nothing serious.
      Hope you're enjoying summer and staying cool.
      I know we're both looking forward to autumn!

      Delete
  9. I'm surprised you had a few nice summers in TN. I've always thought it to be a hot, humid area in general. We get humidity in Ohio, but fortunately, the extreme cold winters keep away the onslaught of bugs.

    True story: when my son was in high school marching band, they'd practice on the field at night under the stadium lights. One time, a bat flew right into his head. He was never the same....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious about the bat flying into your son's head - - perhaps he (the bat) was attracted to the music??

      I suppose the Tennessee summers initially seemed mild to me because I was so used to the long, hot, brutal summers in California and Texas.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.