Thursday, August 15, 2019

WOODLAND HORROR





Unfortunately there's a Blogger glitch on this post and the comment "Thingy" (a technical word) went awry and has stopped working.

This is a (sort of) continuation of my previous post.

The past few days here in Daniel Boone Land have been ......particularly trying.
Let's begin with last Sunday and work our way up to the exciting climax.

Wasps are building nests everywhere around the house. That's nothing new, but this year they are extremely aggressive wasps. They attack with sudden, unexpected force like Kamikazi pilots. I was stung three times this summer.

Lately the wasps have been building a nest directly above the back door and every time I open it I get attacked.
On Sunday morning I cautiously opened the door and one  flew inside the house. It immediately hit my left hand and stung me under the thumb.

I always have bad reactions from insect bites, but this one was the worst. The pain subsided within a few hours, but my hand swelled like an inflated rubber glove - accompanied by intense itching.

By Monday morning my gigantic hand itched like an anthill and the itching was traveling down my wrist.

As if this wasn't enough, my back went "out". I always have severe back trouble due to old spinal injuries - but sometimes my back completely malfunctions and the pain is too excruciating to move.

While I'm scratching my ravaged hand and limping like Quasimodo, I suddenly get a bout of dysentery - courtesy of eating too much fermented cantaloupe and ice cream.

On Tuesday morning things are no better. I'm scratching, limping, and battling the shits.

I limp into the bedroom (wearing nothing but my underwear)  and notice that Bosco (the cat) is intensely looking at something.
That "something" is hiding behind an antique trunk at the foot of my bed.

Fighting my reluctance to face another problem, I eventually force myself to take a peek at the interloper.
It's grey, curled up, and has a tail.

I assume that it's a 'possum. I've already had two previous 'possums in the house. They're more annoying than scary.
I limp to the garage and drag in a cage. I put a bowl of cat food in the cage and carefully position the cage near the 'possum. That's how I caught the last two.

After ushering Bosco out of the room, I limp to the kitchen and get a broom. Perhaps I can coax the critter into the cage.

Imagine my surprise when I return to the bedroom.....and the critter is gone.

Imagine my HORROR...

okay, we can all scream now

......when I turn around and see a big snake sticking out of one of my dresser drawers!!!!!! ( I had left the drawer halfway open).

 I grabbed my camera and took this for posterity

My numb mind was having trouble registering reality.
That was no 'possum! It's a gargantuan serpent from hell!

I grabbed a trash can and the broom and VERY CAUTIOUSLY tried to coax the revolting reptile into the can.
It made a horrifying hissing sound, slithered into the drawer, and disappeared!!

I retreated from the bedroom and slammed the door shut. 

Now I'm limping, scratching, and shaking like a pansy in a zephyr.

Despite my agonizing back and knocking knees, I manage to get to the kitchen and....

You are not going to believe this, but I swear to Gawd Almighty it's true

....there's a small BIRD flying around!!!! It must have gotten in when I left the front door open a crack to let my other cat Kitzee out.

So there's a mega snake in my dresser drawer and a wild sparrow in the kitchen. It's like an expunged episode of Wild Kingdom.

I somehow managed to corner the bird and cup him in my good hand. Then I guide him out the front door. He was eager to leave.

I'm only assuming the bird was a he. It could've been a she.

 I start reading everything I can find about snakes on the Internet.
"Never fear snakes. They are our friends."

Yea. Tell that to Adam and Eve.

I cut through the PETA crap and start reading about the poisonous snakes of Tennessee.
Then I study photos, trying to identify the snake in the drawer. It's a complete impossibility.

The crash course on serpents is getting me nowhere. I'm clueless and afraid to go back in the bedroom. 

By now it's early evening. I eventually open the bedroom door a crack. The snake is slithering on a bookcase!
How the hell can they climb so good with no limbs??

I slowly approach, armed with a broom. The thing starts hissing again, slides down, and quickly disappears under a chest of drawers.
This time I'm determined to trap him. I grab everything I can find (boxes, books, etc) and block the entire area under the chest of drawers. I figure there's no way he can get out.

It's getting dark. I valiantly decide to wait until morning to capture him.
AND I courageously decide to sleep in my room.
Hell, this isn't the first time I ever slept with a snake......

I keep a bright light on.
I keep my myopic eyes peeled for danger.
I keep reassuring myself that the revolting reptile is safely imprisoned under the chest of drawers.

Dawn finally arrives.

At this point - trying to make a long story short is a complete impossibility.

 Despite my bad back, swollen hand, and monumental apprehension - I decide to take action quickly. Armed with a broom and plastic trashcan.....
I cautiously look under the chest of drawers.

The snake is gone.

While trying to keep from swooning, I limp into the living room and discover Bosco - - who is completely preoccupied with something.
It's the snake, hiding behind a box and hissing like a deflating dirigible.



After two dozen tries, I finally manage to swoosh the snake out from behind the box. It coils up. I grab a large plastic trash can and plop it over him.
Then I carefully maneuver the trash can to the front door. I lift it slightly and the snake quickly slithers out, over the porch, down the steps, and into the yard.
It looks three feet long.

He's unnervingly close to the house, but what the hell else could I do - - drive him to Nashville?

Here's the big question:
Is this a happy ending?

My hand is no longer swollen, but still extremely itchy.
My back hurts but I'm not exactly limping.
And I'm snake-free. At least for the moment.

It'll take a few months for a sufficient psychological recovery, and I now have another phobia on my (very) long list of woodland horrors. But I'll survive.

Maybe.




31 comments:

  1. Oh my god, now just think, if this was a horror movie, what would happen tomorrow? (Not that I'm trying to freak you out or anything) Of course since it is not a horror movie, you're going to have a really peaceful and relaxed weekend!
    Seriously, my sympathies with this. I thought it was tough just having a damn bird in my living room which showed no signs of wanting to leave. I am very glad that your itching is better and I hope your back is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, my life here in the wilderness has become a horror film. I love nature, but not when it comes in the house with me.
      Hopefully the snake will stay away this weekend (I truly don't know how he got inside).

      That bird in your living room was rather charming (*smile*) but I'm sure he was an unappreciated guest.

      Delete
  2. Where do I begin to comment on this post, John when Yikes! is all that comes to mind. First, I am terrified of wasps and they seem to sense that because any I have ever tried to kill have come straight back at me. Luckily I have managed to avoid being stung but have fun for a can of hornet spray which really angers many of them even more, then I call for Grenville who doesn't have the same fear. Luckily, this scenario only happened when we were living in VA and had an older home. I refused to go up into the attic in summer months. We only saw a snake twice at the VA house and I was told they were "harmless" garden and/or black snakes, but still any snake is NOT my friend. I hope the one you finally disposed of does not return. You were braver than I would have been to sleep in the BR with a hissing snake around. Glad Bosco wasn't attacked because he did seem unafraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived here for over four years and there were always LOTS of wasps around, but I never got stung. This year they are extremely aggressive and angry.

      I also never saw any snakes around here until this summer. And I never dreamed that one could get inside. That REALLY unnerves me. He seemed rather shy and was probably (???) harmless - but you never know.

      Delete
  3. What the ****? OK, I'm officially speechless. I'd like to know how that monster was able to get in, then escape every place he was (presumably) trapped. Gotta hand it to you, Jon. I'd have taken the cats and slept in my car. Perhaps for the rest of my natural life.
    Alfred Hitchcock has nothing on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, I was officially speechless, too. I never even thought about snakes. Now I'm going to be worried about them constantly. It's obvious that they can get in through VERY small spaces - - and this one moved extremely fast and "climbed" like a pro.

      My biggest concern was that I didn't know if it was poisonous, and I was afraid it would bite the cats - - but it didn't seem very aggressive.

      I'm hoping that I won't have to go through this experience again.....but...something tells me I probably will.

      The joys of living in the wilderness are wearing thin (VERY thin).

      Delete
  4. And to think I'm worried about sand mites. I sure hope the snake was male and didn't lie eggs anywhere inside?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy crap, I never thought of that!! Now I have something new to give me nightmares.....

      Delete
  5. After reading this post I will be sleeping with the bathroom light on, and praying I won't have to pee! That's if I can even get to sleep. I am petrified of sssnakes and as soon as I read BIG SNAKE, my heart and head started pounding and I immediately skipped everything else.

    And to think for a few seconds I was feeling guilty for laughing about your wasp encounter and sudden bout of dysentery.

    Wasn't someone related to the previous owner wanting to buy the house not long ago?
    Hmm, maybe it's time to take him up on the offer before winter gets here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never previously frightened of snakes - - until I found this one in the house. If it wasn't for my cat Bosco I wouldn't have even seen it.
      I don't panic very easily, but this incident REALLY shook me up.

      I will be sleeping with a light on - - and constantly looking around carefully.
      I was concerned about the wasps, until I saw the snake. That made me forget everything else.

      The dysentery thing is true - but I threw it in for laughs. I later regretted that it sounded too vulgar.....

      Delete
  6. Jon, I believe your nocturnal visitor is a king-snake. They are not usually aggressive except with other snakes, which they eat. I don't know how poisonous they might be but they're immune to poisons of other snakes. Coincidentally, a beautiful garter-snake got into the pumphouse an hour ago and I nudged him out with my foot before bolting the door for the night. Then I heard a rattling close behind me --it was the poor snake writhing in the pea-gravel. My slipper toe was on his tail. I apologized and he wriggled off into the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the identification, Geo. I admittedly know next to nothing about snakes and have been very concerned about what species this one is. He seemed much more shy than aggressive - but he valiantly stood up to Bosco.

      I've never previously seen any snakes around here, but this year - with all the rain - the brush on my property is extremely high and undoubtedly attracts critters. I don't know how he got inside but it must be pretty easy. They can slip through the SMALLEST cracks.

      Delete
    2. My very recent research on king-snakes indicates that they're not poisonous. But that doesn't assuage my fear.

      Delete
  7. If I had such an experience I would probably have passed out. I have never had to face a snake and hope one never comes my way. I think you coped very well with the situation. Bravo you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valerie, I certainly hope you never have to face a snake - especially one that is indoors. I almost passed out when I first saw this one!
    Take care and have a wonderful (snake-free) weekend!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!! Thank goodness you had Bosco the snake tracker to help you locate the interloper. I haven't had any critter invasions, but I can relate to the health issues piling up. Glad they are subsiding, anyways. Whew!! Life in the wilderness is never dull. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rita - if it wasn't for the cats, I wouldn't notice half the critters that get in the house. I've had 'possums and mice - and even a bird - but I NEVER dreamed a snake would make a visit!!! This has really unnerved me. I keep looking around, expecting to see another one.

    I innocently thought that life in the wilderness would be peaceful and easy. Instead, I'm dealing with more problems and complications than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jon, I CANNOT believe you were stung THREE times already this year!?!? YIKES! I was only stung once when I was a kid and I clearly recall how painful it was and how long the pain lasted. "but my hand swelled like an inflated rubber glove - accompanied by intense itching." Yes...that's exactly what happened to me.

    And OMG, when I scrolled down and took a look at your picture of the snake, I DID scream! Yet, isn't it hysterical how when you're a blogger, no matter what happens, you ALWAYS go and grab your camera so that you can share it on your blog? I do the same thing!

    ""Never fear snakes. They are our friends."

    Yea. Tell that to Adam and Eve."

    HAHAHAHAHAHA! That cracked me the hell up!!!

    I honestly don't know HOW you were able to sleep in your room, not knowing where that snake was going. I once had a palmetto bug in my apartment and I could not go to sleep until I eventually caught it and then smashed it with a magazine. And even then I thought it would come back to life while I was asleep and BITE me!

    What a fabulously written post because you had me riveted to your every word. It was like watching a suspense/horror film!

    And I'm so happy to hear that you eventually got that damn snake outside! Bra-vo!

    Good story, Jon!

    P.S. Have a SAFE weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, there are several types of wasps that hang around my house. The ones that stung me are very small and reddish in color. I've never seen them before. And they are ANGRY and AGGRESSIVE.
      I haven't been stung by a bee since I was twelve (knock wood.....)

      I'm glad that you enjoyed this post - - and I'm always delighted when my sense of humor is noticed and appreciated.
      And, yes, I always keep my El Cheapo digital camera handy so I can document the things that go on around here.

      When I first saw the snake I PANICKED - and then I said "Damn, that will make a great photo!"

      I've never seen a palmetto bug, but I'm terrified of spiders. And there are some HUGE ones here in TN.

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  12. Well, I guess you laughed at my suggestion of centipedes!!! Good God, you lived through my worst nightmare! And you actually slept in the same room? Are you insane??? I now understand the urban legend of a woman burning her house down over a spider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Centipedes are definitely on my list of things I hate, but I haven't seen any since I left Texas (well, not YET, anyway).

      This was definitely one of my worst nightmares - especially since it was about the last thing I ever expected. I was initially going to sleep on the sofa in the living room - - but then I said "Hell, I'm not gonna let a snake ruin my night."
      Little did I know he had escaped from under the chest of drawers.....

      Delete
  13. you poor man. what an ordeal. i'm glad you're on the mend and that horrible snake is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest worry is that the snake will come back - and maybe bring his friends!
      I'm glad to hear from you and hope you're doing okay.

      Delete
  14. your life beginning to sound like moses/pharoh/plagues in the bible. gnats, wasps, snakes, shits, ect.
    time to let my people go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep wondering - and dreading - what I'm going to encounter next. What could be worse than an indoor snake??
      Perhaps I'll see Bigfoot....

      Delete
    2. So far, I'm the only indoor skunk........

      Delete
    3. Susan - I didn't receive your previous comment. I'm suspecting that the Blogger Gremlins ate it.
      I was actually disappointed when I didn't get a comment from you, because you're one of the very few people left who still loves me......or at least tolerates me.

      I tried to incorporate humor into this post because all the things happening to me were totally insane. In retrospect, it was hilarious.

      I was stunned when I saw the snake because it was the last thing I ever expected. When I saw it hanging from the drawer I was nearly in catatonic shock. My only initial instinct was to grab my camera, because I thought "Nobody is ever going to believe this!"
      I'm wondering how the hell long the snake had been in the house, and was it previously in the bedroom when I was sleeping? If it wasn't for Bosco I wouldn't have seen it.

      And, as you said, HOW did it get in????

      I used to have lots of lizards in the house when I lived in Texas - but they never scared me. I also had a snake in my kitchen, but it was a small one. This TN serpent was about 3 feet long!

      Well, if nothing else, it made a fairly decent blog post.

      Delete
  15. Well, crap-a-doodlle-doo! I KNOW I left a comment here yesterday, but I reckon the snake must've eaten it...

    Anyhow, I apologize profusely for laughing at your woes... and for later repeating them to a couple of other people and making THEM laugh... :) But the way you told your story of the absurd was funny, cowboy!

    I'm glad you got that interloper out the door, but how did that bugger get IN? Makes me shudder to think of finding a snake in our bedroom. We found a lizard once, but that little guy was cute. Our TN pals have had possums, raccoons, birds, and a bat come into their place, but as far as I know, no snakes. If Kati found a snake in her bedroom, I think the house would be up for sale the next day. She was one of the people I told about your woes, and she said she wouldn't sell the house. She'd burn it down... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies











































































    1. Susan - I didn't receive your previous comment. I'm suspecting that the Blogger Gremlins ate it.
      I was actually disappointed when I didn't get a comment from you, because you're one of the very few people left who still loves me......or at least tolerates me.

      I tried to incorporate humor into this post because all the things happening to me were totally insane. In retrospect, it was hilarious.

      I was stunned when I saw the snake because it was the last thing I ever expected. When I saw it hanging from the drawer I was nearly in catatonic shock. My only initial instinct was to grab my camera, because I thought "Nobody is ever going to believe this!"
      I'm wondering how the hell long the snake had been in the house, and was it previously in the bedroom when I was sleeping? If it wasn't for Bosco I wouldn't have seen it.

      And, as you said, HOW did it get in????

      I used to have lots of lizards in the house when I lived in Texas - but they never scared me. I also had a snake in my kitchen, but it was a small one. This TN serpent was about 3 feet long!

      Well, if nothing else, it made a fairly decent blog post.





      Delete
    2. Susan, the "reply" thing on my blog isn't working properly. My reply is located ABOVE your comment.

      Delete