Tuesday, April 14, 2020

WILD NIGHT

Easter went on a rampage in the southern states. Devastating tornadic weather swept through Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, parts of Tennessee.

The news media hardly mentioned it. They were too busy force-feeding you an overdose of the Virus Bullshit. 

Easter always crowds my mind with appealingly sweet thoughts of spring: pastel flowers, fragrant blossoms, soft blue skies, ripe green fields - bunnies and baby chicks.

Here in the wilds of Tennessee Easter Sunday was drenched with torrential rain, dark with dismal skies, and chilly enough to make me hibernate under winter blankets.

It was a joyless day, but the really  wicked weather waited until dusk before it arrived. The winds whipped up with such incredible force that I thought I was back in Texas. 

I tried to ignore the howling gusts until suddenly the front door blew open all by itself!
To condense a long story, the dead bolt was installed improperly by the previous idiot who lived here. I have been meaning to fix it for an embarrassingly long time, but procrastination kept getting in my way.
The door-opening incident has inspired me to put the dead bolt on my lengthy ''To Do'' list.

Fortunately the lock on the doorknob works, and I barricaded the door with a chair.
During my five-and-a-half years in Tennessee I never felt wind this strong. A wooden ladder blew off the back porch and a metal chair soared off the front porch. Heavy things kept hitting the roof, which inspired my Gothic imagination.

I always worry about those tall trees that I like so much. They are only about twenty feet away from my bedroom. If they ever topple over, I'll be toast.


Since I'm surrounded by a forest, I could be pelted by trees from any direction. The thought curdles my blood during high winds.

In a cowardly attempt to ignor the foul weather, I crawled into bed and started to watch the old movie Easter Parade. Judy Garland didn't even finish singing her first song when the lights went out.

The power outage happened just at dusk. It was going to be one helluva long night.

Admittedly, I'm very ill-prepared for these nasty flukes of nature. I have oil lamps but no oil. I have transistor radios but no batteries. I don't know where the heck the battery for my laptop is.    
I have one feeble flashlight and a few candles.

It's almost impossible to describe how dark it is out here in the proverbial middle of nowhere. Blacker than the darkest shade of black.
The wind raged with sinister screams,  rain poured relentlessly. Unknown things outside kept banging and crashing. 

The thought that it was about ten hours until dawn inspired me to do a search with my feeble flashlight - looking for ANY item that might connect me with the outside world.

I found an old transistor radio in a drawer. Batteryless, of course.

A long extension of my search finally yielded an ancient cassette player that fortuitously had batteries in it.

Aside:
I don't often get to use the word "fortuitously".

By the feeble light of the flashlight, I transferred the batteries from the cassette player to the radio.
They worked!
Sort of.

The radio is lousy...and the radio reception out here in the Tennessee Boonies is far beyond appalling.

I could only pick up jumbled fragments of distant stations, undecipherable smatterings of words and music - - all sandwiched between rude, jarring static.

Note:
Is this blog post getting too long? Relax. You won't find this quality of free entertainment anywhere else.

To make matters worse, the only way the radio would work at all was if I put one hand on the station dial, put my other hand on top of the antenna, and pointed the radio toward the east.


(no, I am NOT exaggerating or kidding)

So I crawled into bed (accompanied by my two timid cats) with my feeble flashlight and the exasperating radio.

And all through the black night I kept one hand on the dial, the other hand atop the antenna, with the radio pointing east.

I managed to pick up a hillbilly station that was playing extremely morbid Gospel music about dying and going to Heaven, which I suppose was a redneck version of Easter joy.
One agonizing song after another - with no commercials or breaks whatsoever.

After about the forty-fifth song, I moved along and FINALLY found a station from the local town (which, from where I  live, is about a zillion miles away). 

At around 3:00 a.m. they finally gave a weather report: high winds, flash floods, but no tornadoes.
Three thousand people were without power (that's about the entire county) and dozens of trees were uprooted. 

There were uprooted trees on the street where my cousin lives (she lives near town).

By dawn, the wind started to abate and I was exhausted. I fell asleep.
When I woke up, the power was back on and there was no discernible damage outside. 

Thank God for small favors.
And unnecessarily long blog posts.




15 comments:

  1. We were supposed to have 60 mph gusts last night, but I think they exaggerated, as there are only a few branches in the yard. We were quite worried about losing power, so had turned the dials down in the fridge and freezers. I'm glad the power was back on by the time you awoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had more power outages this year than ever before. Fortunately, the power is always restored quickly.... but it is unnerving to be here all alone in the wilderness with no lights. I definitely have to buy oil for my oil lamps.

      Delete
  2. Yep, I get it! Had my front door blown in like that, I might have made a nose dive for the car. Considering the power outages and trees down all around us, I'm surprised we didn't sustain major damage on our lot -- just tons of tree branches needing picked up so they don't get sucked up by the lawn mower. PLEASE tell me you're going to stock up on batteries, and perhaps a weather radio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that there wasn't more damage around here - mostly just some tree branches down. Thank God no damage to the roof.

      I used to have a weather radio, but it was among the many things "lost" when I moved. I DEFINITELY need to buy batteries and oil for the lamps.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that sounds terrifying! I did hear a lot about your weather on the news and I live far away; I couldn't help thinking that it's the last thing any place needs right now. I have big trees all around me too, and worry every time there's high wind. I feel very alone and isolated when the power goes out too, although it's rare where I live since our power lines are mostly underground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be used to high winds, because the wind storms were constant when I lived in Texas - - but it's more unnerving when you live among a lot of trees (especially extremely tall ones).

      I found your blog (thanks for the link) and enjoyed seeing your family photos.

      Delete
    2. The power lines in Texas were underground, which is a great idea.

      Delete
  4. We had a daylong rain and winds on Monday, Jon, but hardly anything like what you experienced. I bet you have written a note to yourself is to get more batteries on your next Walmart adventure. I did see some online news stories about the destruction caused by tornadoes in many states as if there were not enough problems today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like these storms have hit a lot of states, including ones on the east coast. And, with the virus ordeal, it couldn't have come at a worse time.
      I definitely have batteries on my list. Stay safe!

      Delete
  5. I hope you made a list of things you will need for the next power outage, my friend! One long dark stormy night is enough! Whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how unprepared I've been. I plan to go shopping again next week, and batteries are on my list - along with oil for my oil lamps. I hope these things aren't rationed!

      Delete
  6. Long Blog Posts are My specialty... Most of the time. ( Not today....ah well) I read the adventure to my wife. She was captivated. It brings back memories of Michigan and even here in Iowa. ( High winds are an Iowa Specialty... Today for example!) Luckily... or un-luckily, Iowa folks HATE trees and do their best to cut them down the moment they get large enough to offer shade or a break from the wind. Right now our town is on a crusade to cut down all the trees in town. Chainsaws provide such lovely sounds in the early morning... To be fair, I think they are all Beetle kill trees. Ash, mostly. And finally... My wife says.. "Points for the Big word." We love words that make sense but are not offered in the dictionary... yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm notorious for writing long blog posts and then hating them after they're posted. But I'm certainly flattered that you took the time to read it.

      My father hated trees. He thought they were messy and took great delight in cutting them down. Perhaps that's why I like trees so much....

      Delete
  7. I hate to say this.... the weather here is very spring-like.
    Now then, don't forget to buy batteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me some spring weather, Valerie - - and while you're at it, send me some batteries!

      Delete