Friday, March 31, 2023

PHOTOS - - THE SEQUEL

Due to popular demand, I'm posting more photos from my private antique photo collection (he says with a smidgen of sarcasm). 

A continuation of my previous post.


William James Scanlan (1856 - 1898)
What? You've never heard of him?? Well, I never did, either - until I purchased this photo to add to my collection. Scanlan was an American composer and actor in theatrical musicals.
On Christmas Eve, 1891, during a performance of his musical "Mavourneen", Scanlan had a nervous breakdown, was restrained in a strait jacket, and was taken to Bloomingdale Insane Asylum in White Plains, New York. He remained there until his death in 1898.


King Ludwig of Bavaria (1845 - 1886)
I have three original photos of Ludwig in my collection (one of my favorite historical heroes).
He is erroneously referred as the "Mad King".
He was extremely eccentric, but definitely not mad. And he was most likely murdered.

King Ludwig had an enormous amount of political enemies, who used every ploy possible to destroy him and discredit his validity. The rumors of his supposed "insanity" were fabricated after his death.

Ironically, this unbridled political hatred is still prevalent today - and is rampant in our country.
Feel free to read between the lines.........


A beautiful portrait of Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II. There is no date on this photo.


King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the parents of Queen Elizabeth II)
No date on this photo.


Rare carte vista of Niccolo Paganini (1782 - 1840) - Italian violinist and composer.  Circa 1825.


American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807 - 1882). I have his signature (somewhere) and plan to frame it with this photo.


Beautiful Greta Garbo, sporting the worst hairdo in Hollywood history. Her hairdresser should have been hanged in the public square.
I have several portraits of Garbo, which I obtained from the MGM Archives.



An autographed photo of Marion Davies, silent screen actress and long-time mistress of William Randolph Hearst.




Ignancy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941) 
Polish pianist and composer, later became the Prime Minister of Poland. I have several portraits of him in my collection.


Anton Rubinstein (1829 - 1894) Russian pianist and composer (no relation to concert pianist Arthur Rubinstein).
I performed one of Anton Rubinstein's piano concertos at Cal State Fullerton when I was twenty years old.


Queen Alexandra (1844 - 1925) of the United Kingdom (former Princess of Denmark). She married Prince Edward, the eldest son of Queen Victoria. He became King Edward VII in 1901 when Victoria died. 

Edward was a notorious womanizer, having a multitude of affairs, mistresses, and scandals throughout his life. When he died in 1910, his wife Queen Alexandra said "Well, at least now I know where he is at night."
I love that quote!


Princess Alexandra and Prince Edward (before he was king) and their five children. 
Alexandra and Edward are in the center, second row.
This is a rare private photo I obtained from a collector in England.


Another of my numerous photos of Queen Victoria

Is this the end of the line???
I have many more photos in my collection.
Perhaps........perhaps someday I'll do a Part Three.
Maybe.

Cheers, Jon






17 comments:

  1. Great photos!!!! And Im sure some worth a small fortune.

    And could you imagine if Ignancy Jan Paderewski and Greta Garbo got together and had kids?!? Talk about a rat's nest of hair and untamable!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be hilarious to see what kind of hairy children Garbo and Paderewski could produce.
      Some of these photos are quite valuable - - but I sold some of my very best ones.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting and you could do a part three! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to be boring with too many photos, but I might consider a part three.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed the pics. I think Garbo and Paderewski went to the same hairdresser! Interesting (and sad) story of William James Scanlan. I just purchased the DVD, "Ludwig", the Visconti movie. You have a wonderful photo collection Please post more.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know which one would win First Prize for the wildest hair!
      I saw the Visconti film long ago, but can't remember much about it. I recently saw the 2012 German film "Ludwig II", which was fairly good. Neither film is completely historically accurate, but they are interesting nevertheless.

      Delete
  4. I hope you will, Jon. Sad, so little was known about mental health back then. (Seems we still need more; much more. Best save my commentary for another time.)
    I like what my friend Jean calls her bad hair days: "My hair is having an adventure."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair always looked like a yellow haystack, which I suppose is an adventure.....

      I'm sure I'd agree with your "commentary". If we focused more on the red signals of mental illness rather than on gun control, perhaps there would be fewer tragic mass murders.

      Delete
  5. How and where did you acquire all these cool vintage photos? You must have been collecting them for a long time?

    LOVE your Spring bunny banner, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been collecting for many years. I found photos in antique shops, estate sales, private collectors, and even eBay. Unfortunately, I sold some of my best photos (when I was desperate for money) and other photos were "lost" or stolen when I moved to Tennessee.

    I like the bunny banner, too (*smile*).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to add.....I love your header with the pics of the bunnies. Very springy and Easter. It put a smile on my face. Thank you, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the bunnies would be more appropriate this week than the wolf.

      Delete
  8. Opps....that was me. Paranormal John.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful collection of vintage photographs, you have quite the selection !
    Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip were quite the handsome pair.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That photo of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip is my favorite. It's beautiful with the light shining from the window.

      Delete
  10. Hi Jon, FYI this is Dorothy aka Beatrice and somehow I am relegated to anonymous because of something I tried earlier this week. I can comment on my desktop PC as my own name but not on this tablet😕

    Such a great collection of photos and I am in awe and a bit envious. Then one of Phillip and Elizabeth was wonderful as was Marion Davis and Greta Garbo. Too bad about William Scanlan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And yes meant to say that the bunny header was in keeping with the spirit of this week and spring as well.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.