Sunday, March 26, 2023

FROZEN IN TIME

My life-long fascination with old photos  has inspired me to procure a vast collection that has spanned many years. My preference is varied, but I am specifically intrigued by anything to do with history - especially famous people - royalty, musicians, movie stars.

I only collect original photos - which have monetary value. Prints or copies are completely worthless.

I used to have hundreds (probably more) of photographs in my collection - but it dwindled over the years. I sold an enormous amount of them when I lived in Texas. Many more were "lost" or stolen when I moved to Tennessee.

Recently I was (pleasantly) surprised when I found a huge stash of antique photos in an old trunk - many of which I had completely forgotten about.

It's difficult to choose favorites. Here are a few hodgepodge samples



My old trunk where I keep the photos, and my cat Kitzee (now deceased) when she was a kitten


"Blackie" and "Tiger"
these are two cats that belonged to President Calvin Coolidge. The photo is dated October, 1923.


Playwright Edward Albee (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?). I was never a fan of Albee, but I was intrigued by his cat. Circa 1961


Charles Lindberg and Amelia Earhart receiving medals for their aviation feats, presented by Charles Davila, Rumanian Minister to the U.S.
Photo dated 1933


 Lindberg and Spirit of St. Louis


Prince Philip and Elizabeth (before she was Queen) and their children Charles and Anne
photo dated "pre-1952"


I've never had any interest in Benito Mussolini whatsoever, but I got a series of his photos at auction for a very reasonable price. This is the Italian dictator with his son, dated 1933.


King George the Fifth and Queen Mary in 1917. I've always thought she looked more like a man than he did.


I have numerous photos of Queen Victoria. This one was taken in 1893.


A rare photo of composer Johann Strauss. It's not dated, but my guess is around 1870.


The 1863 wedding of midgets Tom Thumb (Charles Stratton) and Lavinia Warren, whose union was relentlessly promoted by P.T. Barnum. This is an original photo by Matthew Brady.

Is this a photo overdose??
I have so many photos in my collection, that I might be inspired to do a Part Two.

                                      Cheers, Jon


18 comments:

  1. This is a FABULOUS collection of photos!

    I only have hundreds of old family, friends, and school pics saved in old photos albums dated back from when I was a kid. The only worth they have is sentimental. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love family photos because they do have a lot of sentimental value.

      Delete
  2. Barefoot Anne with her chubby lil baby feet. Maybe she started to fuss when they tried to put on her shoes. šŸ‘£salemslot9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never noticed her bare feet until you mentioned it. Cute!

      Delete
  3. Great photos! Yes, could show more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are those who consider camera photography, photos taken with an actual camera not a cell phone, to no cell phone ever took these wonderful vintage photos.that original by Matthew Brady blew my mind, Jon! And, Lindbergh standing by his plane as well.

    You did well in your collecting. It is interesting to read more about things you obviously enjoyed.Please do show more when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - - digital photos are a modern marvel, but they can't compare with good ol' fashion photography. I had several large photos of Lindberg and his wife, but I sold them. I also have two Matthew Brady photos of the Tom Thumb wedding.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. My biggest regret is that I sold some of the best photos in my collection, when I was desperate and needed the money.

      Delete
  6. Regardless if I know the subject(s) or not, I so enjoy gazing at olden photographs. When posing for a picture was a Big Deal -- and didn't include making fish face selfies or sticking one's tongue out. More, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - - photography was once a big deal. Nowadays it is largely ruined by idiots with cell phones. I will have a Part Two of my photo collection.

      Delete
  7. I had to laugh....yes, Queen Mary does look like she could get banned in Florida! Queen Victoria looks like she's coming out of anethesia....or going in? Love the cat pics. Yes, by all means have Part II. Love old photos and you have a great collection. Did you collect them at antique shops?
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you laughed at the Queen Mary quip - - you're the only one who mentioned it. Queen Victoria always looked depressed and miserable.
      I got my photo collection from many places - antique shops, estate sales, etc.
      eBay is also a great place to find vintage photos (or at least it used to be, long ago).

      Delete
  8. I LOVE these!! Such a joy to look at, which is a rarity of this cold cruel world we exist in. Your sad Tennessee neighbor, Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These old photos really do take us to a different (and better) dimension. I'll have more in my next post.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful collection of a bygone era.
    I agree Queen Victoria always looked mad in her photographs and most probably life in general.
    Thank you for sharing Jon

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria spent much of her life mourning the loss of Albert. I've seen one very rare photo of her smiling - it can be found on the Internet (search Queen Victoria smiling). I'm fascinated with old photos and will post more soon.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.