Thursday, September 14, 2023

STRENGTH OR WEAKNESS

Do I have strength, weakness, or both? Do all of us harbor these two traits? I suppose it depends on what challenges we are faced with at the moment.

My moments of cowardice disgust me.

My moments of strength astonish me.

I've never considered myself to be strong or tough. When I was young enduring my father's insane violence and abuse, I cowered from a fear that was too terrifying to describe. My entire world revolved around his unpredictable brutality. I often said that I feared him more than God. And that fear lasted into my adulthood

I would cower in my room, trying to escape by reading books, praying that he wouldn't find me and ruthlessly interrupt my literary fantasies. Was this a sign of weakness.....? At the time, there seemed to be no alternative.

There was a horrid night when I was so emotionally overwhelmed from the torturous chaos of my father, that from FEAR I actually went into shock and was rushed to the hospital. The doctors back then were worthless when dealing with emotions. I was told to "get more exercise." Bullshit

Later, when I was 19 or 20, haunting the hardcore midnight streets of Hollywood, I feigned a toughness that I never truly had. Deep inside I was a sissy and a coward - but my faux toughness was so convincing that it actually astonished myself. I lived a wild, reckless, extremely dangerous, promiscuous lifestyle that would shock and stun those who are blessedly innocent and unaware.

In essence I was still escaping my father's destruction by devising my own. Strange? I had a secret death wish back then. Booze, drugs, sex, suicide yearnings...

I could tell you things that would seem beyond belief. I could reveal things that would have you gasping in abject horror.

Strength? I suppose so, because I survived. Perhaps I had a guardian angel back then.....

Much later, my devastating years in Texas revealed my cowardice and strength. How I got there is too long a tale to tell. Both my parents died there. After my father died in 2005, I took care of my mother until she passed away from a terrifying series of strokes in 2009.

Afterwards I had an enormous amount of medical bills to pay and I lost all my savings due to identity theft (too long to reveal the details). I couldn't sell my house for several years because it was in a tiny rural town where no one wanted to live. My elderly neighbor moved to live with her son and abandoned her dozens of cats that immediately migrated to my yard. I was completely financially wiped out and found myself eventually feeding over thirty cats (they multiply quickly). I very often fed them and skipped meals for myself.

In order to survive, I sold all my antiques, extensive coin collections, half of my art collection, furniture, dishes- - anything that the shyster dealers in nearby Lubbock would buy. I lost an ENORMOUS amount of money. And I generally had only about ten or twenty dollars a week for food....and cat food.

Strength? I think not. It was merely raw, desperate survival. Beyond desperate.

My worst moment of cowardice happened when my mother died. December, 2009 - the most brutally cold Texas winter I could ever remember. Snow, ice storms - - astonishingly abundant in the high Plains.

It was an incredibly cold early evening when I was told she was dying. I hurried to the small, shabby local medical Center. A nurse ushered me into a tiny dark room and told me "Hold her hand, she's dying."

My mother was unconscious - - the beautiful, brilliant woman who had been my most faithful confidant - who was my only anchor in a sea of chaos. She was definitely a woman of incredible strength - surviving my father's insanity.

I couldn't bear the agony. There's no way that I could watch her die. I hurried out of the room, out of the hideous medical Center.

It was getting dark, icy snow was blowing. When I got home I sat on a stone bench in the frigid yard for several hours - watching the snow fall. Disbelieving that she was gone, hating myself for being a coward.

Strength? Weakness? Who knows.

Now I've been given a new challenge which, I suppose, summoned my greatest inner strength. Two agonizing months in a hospital fighting desperately for my life. Now a battered relic in a physical rehab facility - - desperately trying to regain some semblance of physical strength, trying to learn how to walk again. Praying that by some miracle I can go home again. Home.....

Am I surviving from strength or sheer desperation?

Strength, I think.

Thanks for reading this haphazard, seemingly endless post.

Love, Jon

PS

I received all of your recent cards and postcards. Many thanks!!!

I'm late in replying to your comments, but I'll get there.


20 comments:

  1. Thy Cross is for all men a well of blessings
    and a cause of thanksgiving.
    Thereby for them that believe in thee,
    weakness is turned into strength,
    shame into glory, and death into life.
    -St. Leo the Pope (d. 461)

    I took this from another blog: gretchenjoanna.com

    I was praying for something to say that would set you free and this seemed to be it. All your past, mine too, all your pain and that fear can be turned to something else. I've seen it myself. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi - thank you for sharing this sentiment. "Weakness into strength, shame into glory, death into life". Very appropriate for my feelings and this post.

      Delete
  2. In the end, we do what we must. Sometimes we are forced into a situation where there aren't any choices; who can say if it's strength or weakness we are showing? Only God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I think life is filled with unexpected situations and we don't really think about weakness or strength. Truly only God knows...

      Delete
  3. You sound to me endlessly capable of dealing with any damn thing. You've been through a lot. You got this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot - in retrospect I'm a survivor....but aren't we all...

      Delete
  4. I think Blogger just gobbled down my comment. Hopefully (?) you can find it in e-mail or spam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra I can't find anything in email or spam. Blogger is notorious for this. I'm so sorry!

      Delete
    2. Well, thank you for looking. Basically, as best I can recall -- giving you props (as ever) for your remarkable candor. I'd often wondered what contributed to your dear mother's passing, but didn't want to pry. Immediately, I remembered being at my own mother's death bed, wanting nothing more than to bolt ... run down the hospital corridor and out the door. Gut instinct ... Run!
      I totally agree with what Donna's written: "Only God."

      Delete
    3. Hopefully I can live long enough to finish my.memoirs. my candor is an excellent way to purge my soul.
      There is nothing more intensely difficult than facing the death of a loved one. My mom had a series of small strokes, then a massive one on her birthday, November 14th. She died about three weeks later.

      Delete
  5. Yes, we can be both at the same time...strong and weak...or fluctuate between. Humans are complex, surprising creatures, are we not? You are doing amazingly well. Be patient with yourself...and proud of your progress...and survival. Been a rough road. You have made it through the worst. *virtual hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humans are extremely complex and very often there's a fine line between strength and weakness. We've all been are own private hells. You can certainly identify with this. Take care, Rita and many thanks for your.comment

      Delete
    2. Meant to say " we've all been through our own private hells"

      Delete
  6. I so admire your strength and fight. You have a goal, that after all of your hard work, is a realistic one, with the return to your home in the woodlands. Hoping your days are more peaceful at least, and you can enjoy some much needed quiet time.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm truly looking forward to quiet times. I never realized how annoying a hospital can be. Finding.peace and privacy again will be a great reward for my efforts.

      Delete
    2. Dear Jon, your post encourages me as I wait for my hair to grow back. Thankyou.

      Delete
    3. Hi Geo - it's always uplifting to hear your humor. I hope you'll get hair soon.....and I'll be able to walk. Life's journey is most often uphill
      My very best to you and Norma.

      Delete
  7. I don't know how one deals with leaving their dying mother alone. It must be a difficult thing to deal with.
    We all have issues like that, I think. I left my sister in hospice, telling her I had to work when she was dying. I've had to deal with that for a long time.
    I hope you continue to recover, and function again, and be happy.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's extremely difficult to deal with the raw reality of a loved one dying. I absolutely couldn't handle it
      Physically I have a long way to go - but I'm doing very well in rehab. I'm gaining my strength and walking with the aide of a walker. I also gained about 18 pounds.
      Thanks for your comment, Mike.

      Delete
  8. What a summation of your life! You indeed are an excellent writer. In my opinion you're very brave, facing the circumstances you've had to face in your life and continue to face. One thing is for sure, you are a survivor. I am looking forward to you returning to your home in those Tennessee mountains in time to enjoy the fullness of this year's autumn splendor.
    Ron (of Retired in Delaware)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.