Thursday, February 22, 2024

UNLEASHED WITHOUT RESERVATIONS

 



Do you know how taxing it is for me to think up (clever) titles which will cajole you into reading my posts?

(I can't remember the last time I ever used the word "cajole")

I'm going to unleash another update, in an attempt to purge my multitudinous anxieties.

I'll save the worst for last - - which will be difficult, due to the fact that my worsts are numerous and seemingly endless.

I'm having so much pain in my back and spine that it's nearly intolerable. The pain is accompanied by screaming spasms.

This is all because of the fall I had last month. I fell directly on my back and my spine hit the concrete blocks that I use as steps to the back porch. I've had so many previous spinal injuries that inflicted permanent damage.

Consequently, I'm now hanging on to my walker for dear life.....

.....but I'm used to pain and agony.

I still haven't found anyone to fix the latest broken water pipe. All the helpful people haven't been helpful at all. Plumbers in rural Tennessee are rarer than hen's teeth......or Rachmaninov fans.

The house is infested with mice. I need about a dozen cats.

Or ten pounds of rat poison. It's quicker.

Let's have an enthusiastic drum roll for the latest disaster.

I was supposed to have three doctor appointments this month, and  a CT scan was scheduled for yesterday (Tues. the 20th)

The appointments are in Cookeville (a zillion miles away)....so I had to "book" my rides with a local transport company.

My CT scan appointment yesterday was for 9:30 a.m. This had me extremely worried because I'm not a morning person, and going alone in a wheelchair will be an agonizing humiliation.

So, I got up extremely early (3:00a.m.). It takes me forever to get ready and suppress my anxiety attacks. Making certain that I wouldn't miss my ride, I sat in the living room at 6:00 a.m. (waiting for 8:00 a.m.)

Shortly after 8:00 I got a phone call. It was the driver of my transit vehicle. She bluntly informed me that she wasn't going to pick me up. Since I live in a rural area, she was afraid that she would get stuck in the "soft ground" in my driveway.

I could hardly believe my ears. I was so completely stunned that I was rendered speechless. I finally told her I had an important medical appointment.

She said "Well, you'd better get someone with a truck to take you"

I thought -

Sure, lady. I'll wheel myself out to the highway and flag down a trucker.

She had no mercy. I was left high and dry.

I don't get upset very easily, but this unexpected disaster had me on the verge of hysteria. I grabbed the phone and cancelled all of my appointments.

Everyone I talked to was sympathetic. My Cookeville appointments are rescheduled for March and they will look into the transportation problem.

IRONICALLY

Two hours later, the FedEx truck came and delivered my latest orders right to my front door

No problems with my driveway.

Later that same day, a UPS vehicle came up my driveway and delivered an important package. No problems.

I now know why SOME (not all) of the FedEx drivers didn't deliver my packages. They were afraid they'd get stuck in my driveway.

I'm not an expert when it comes to rural "driveways", but I lived here for over nine years and nobody ever got stuck in my driveway.

I'm sure it could be a problem when there's ice or rain. Several years ago my car got stuck in mud halfway up the driveway during a torrential rain storm.

I have a LOT more to say, but I'll cut it short for now.

BTW

The above photo is my front "yard". The so-called driveway is on the right side of the picture.

I hope the driveway didn't terrify you,  Jon



28 comments:

  1. I felt murderous at the words of that driver. And I pray that the March appointments happen. This is so wrong. I'm hoping your visiting nurse can help with pain relief.
    You don't need fancy titles to bring me in, though they are very inventive. I just see your handle and need to find out what's up with Jon today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt murderous, too. I couldn't believe she was so heartless. I'm really worried about how I'll get to the March appointments. The nurses are looking into it.
      There's never a dull day here in Hillbillyland.

      Delete
  2. That transport driver deserves to be canned! Has it really been 9 years you moved? Wow, time flies. Hey, those Tennessee denizens haven't bested you yet and I seriously doubt they're going to. It may not feel like it right now, but I believe you're made of sterner stuff than what they're used to seeing. Still praying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be ten years in October. Time really does fly. The transport driver had me stunned and infuriated. One of the nurses told me to file a complaint - - but I'm too darn nice. I'm tough but I'm sweet.
      The problems never end.....

      Delete
  3. She didn't! OMG, what kind of person is this? Bad kind. Is there someplace to complain about this phone call and cancellation? I feel deep sympathy for your pain, I have spent a few years with it myself, except yours is worse. Is there a government agency that can help you get your water pipe fixed? I would think so. I wish I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could file a complaint with the transport company - - but I'm too nice. My nurses are going to look into the situation. I don't get upset very easily, but this really took me over the edge. It was the last thing I was expecting.
    I've learned to live with pain. I'll survive.....hopefully.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is bullshit on Fed Ed Ex's part! You should not have to deal with this happy horse shit. This is the state of our Country anymore. I am so sorry you have to deal with this crap. I could say A LOT more about it, but I won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've conveyed my thoughts. To put it bluntly - - I am sick and tired of these whimps who are afraid of my driveway. I lived here for over nine years and nobody ever got stuck in my dtiveway.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the typo. I'd like to get quicksand for the dang driveway and get rid of them all.

      Delete
    3. Is it whimps or wimps? I'm the worst speller on earth.

      Delete
  6. Jon, I agree with all the previous folks who commented and advised you to COMPLAIN about that driver's attitude and comments. yes, I know you want to be nice, but really how nice was she not being to you. And, if complaining gets her chewed out or reprimanded or worse then she rightfully deserves it, sorry I am a nice person too but this situation was simply awful.I hope the nurses can get you some help for the March appts, better yet some help for the discomfort.

    Also, never be concerned about not coming up with a clever title, even if you just included the date, your blogger friends would read and comment, just like Boud said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I TOTALLY AGREE! Clever title? Who cares? WE are your friends AND we CARE!

      Delete
    2. I did talk to a lady who works for the transit company, so she knows what's going on. When I gave her my address, she said that she knows one of my neighbors and is familiar where I live.
      I doubt if I'll file a complaint. I've been a "nice" guy my entire life....which can be annoying.
      BTW
      I was only joking about the titles on my posts.

      Delete
  7. I had colon cancer when I was 62 and breast cancer when I was 67 and the thing that really ticks me off is your dr. Appointments are so important that you get to them when they’re scheduled. Now you have to wait another month because of that jerk!
    PS I’m 79 and still going strong. lol
    I thought I would be dead soon after they discovered the colon cancer.
    I hope you will continue to keep us posted.
    Pat/Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful that you are still going strong, after all you've been through.
      Last summer the doctors told me I was going to die. The tests and followup appointments are extremely important.
      I can't believe that idiot was afraid of my driveway. I don't know how I'll get to my next appointments, but
      I don't plan to miss them.

      Delete
  8. If you are "nice" about this that person is free to continue to do this to others. It should be reported. Not just for your sake. I hope you can get to all your appointments without a hitch again. I'm glad you have the nurses to help you out, too. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I think about it, the angrier I get. If she's that afraid of driveways she should find another job. I had to go through a helluva lot of trouble because of this.
      You're right. If I don't complain, she'll do it to someone else.

      Delete
  9. I hope things get better for you Jon. I swear, something is not letting you forge ahead. And that transport lady should be horse whipped for not calling sooner to let you know she wasn't coming, so you could make other arrangements. Excuse me but what a twat!

    You do need a cat. I bet that for sure will drive the mice away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know when things will ever get better - - but I'm hoping.....I've been through so much this past year. If things start going right, I'd probably drop dead from the shock.

      I'll be looking for some feline friends soon.

      Delete
  10. I am sorry this happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandi. As if I didn't have enough troubles.....it really took me by surprise.

      Delete
  11. HI Jon, it's me Ron from Retired in Delaware. It's been awhile since I've visited your blog. Been busy here. Right now I'm in Bill's hospice room. I stay with him all day during the daylight hours, only driving home before it gets dark. I don't like to drive in the dark. I brought my MacBook computer with me today to catch up on things while I'm keeping Bill company here at the hospice for his final days. He's been unconscious since he arrived here three days ago but I believe he can hear me. So I often whisper "I love you" or other things in his ear, like after someone visits the room (the chaplin was just here, I bet Bill loved that). Reading your last posting, that road does look treacherous. That lady has probably got stuck in past pickups. Mice in the house? You need a cat of course. You are in a prime location for mice. Every now and then the mice try to take up residence here at Casa Tipton-Kelly (our one acre lot adjoined a cornfield). I quickly dispatch them. I am merciless when it comes to mice. Well, that's about it for now. This "comment" is way too long, I hope you get some relief from the pain in your back.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ron - - thank you for taking the time to comment. I know that you're going through extremely difficult times. I'm glad you have your MacBook computer to keep busy, and get your mind off all the stress (at least for awhile). I have no doubt that Bill knows you're at his side. I admire your strength and the compassion you have for Bill. You've done an enormous amount of work and self-sacrifice these past few years. My positive thoughts are with you. Big hugs.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jon. Just reading your reply now. Yes, the past three years have been a challenge. This last month was the worst. Thank goodness Delaware Hospice came in and placed Bill in their hospice center where he could pass peacefully. I'm just now trying to resume my life without Bill.

      Delete
  12. Your driveway looks like half the driveways in Montana, once you get out of the 'big' cities' (over 5K). It's unconscionable that you have to delay your follow up appointments that long. Your providers should have gotten you appointments quicker than that, but it seems that medicine has gone to the low bidder now in the US.
    If you start to experience any shortness of breath, wheezing or more edema, don't hesitate to get help quickly, even it it means calling 911.
    Here's hoping for the best, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really infuriated about how heartless and unyielding the driver was - - especially since the FedEx and UPS trucks made deliveries that same day.
      I'm presently disgusted with everything......but I won't give up.

      Delete
  13. Hi Jon, I've been down the rabbit hole lately, with Internet problems, but hopefully all fixed for the time being.
    It's quite upsetting that your driver refused to pick you up in your driveway, and the consequences of you missing your appointments surely there has to be a better way.
    Do you still have a case manager that can address the issue for you ?
    Hopefully you can get your neck and back pain sorted, I personally know how disabling it can be.
    Keep pushing your limits Jon, you have done so well in these past months.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Internet always seems to give troubles when we least expect it. I hope your problems are resolved.
    I've let a lot of people know about the fearful driver and the transit company has been informed. ...but I don't know if it will help my plight.
    I'm presently depressed and disgusted with everything - - but I'm not planning to give up.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.