Saturday, March 16, 2024

NEVER TOO OLD

 For the past month or so, I've been listening to an enormous amount of music - - mostly on YouTube. It helps me forget my devastating physical pain and alleviates my intense mental depression.

It also resurrects vivid memories of my golden years - - filled with concerts, rehearsals, performances....and teaching (yes, I was chosen as a student piano teacher for Cypress College, but admittedly teaching is not my forte).

Sometimes past memories provide me with the incentive to plod onward.

So, what am I getting at? I selfishly forgot my purpose for writing this post.

I was initially thinking of great pianists who continued to perform into old age.

Arthur Rubinstein (1887- - 1982) retired from the concert stage at age 89. He only stopped because his eyesight was failing.

The other night I watched a concert on YouTube recorded in 1978 - - Vladimir Horowitz (1903-- 1989) performing one of my favorite concertos, the third piano concerto by Rachmaninov (the New York Philharmonic, Zubin Mehta conductor).

I've heard dozens of pianists tackling this extremely difficult concerto over the years, but this 1978 performance by Horowitz is undoubtedly the best. His technique and interpretation are unsurpassed. He was 75 years old.

I've saved the best for last.

Martha Argerich, who is considered one of the greatist pianists in the world today. She is presently 82 and still going strong. There are several of her recent concerts on YouTube. I am absolutely astounded at her strength, virtuosity, and passion. Her piano performances are (arguably) better today than they were fifty years ago. 


Martha Argerich, then and now

Argerich is an Argentine pianist, born in Buenos Aires. Her paternal ancestors were Spanish and her maternal grandparents were Russian Jews. She gave her first public piano concert at age eight. She speaks Spanish, French, Italian, German, and English fluently.

One thing that I only learned recently - - Argerich was diagnosed with malignant melanoma in 1990. In 1995 it metastasized to her lungs, pancreas, liver, brain, and lymph nodes.

She received experimental treatments at the John Wayne Cancer Institute in Santa Monica. To this day she is cancer-free.

I've always adored her and she is a great inspiration.

Age doesn't always have to be an impediment.

With a positive spirit and the grace of God, anything is possible.

Take care, Jon

16 comments:

  1. Jon, you said it all in that final sentence and Rubinstein, Horowitz and Argerich are great examples…good for them and yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many more examples in every walk of life. Keeping mentally and physically busy is extremely important.

      Delete
  2. Music is healing. I am encouraged that they played to such a great age. I watched an interview with Walter Koenig (Star Trek's Chekov) yesterday. He was 86 at the time. Still kicking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is definitely a powerful source of healing.
      When I was in rehab, I met a 94 yr. old man who lives alone on twenty acres. He's not a musician but he has a shotgun to keep the bears away (*smile*)

      Delete
  3. Conductors also tend to live long, maybe all the exercise at the podium! Here's wishing you better days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right. I've heard that conductors live longer because they get so much exercise waving their arms around.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this post, Jon. I NEEED this more than you will ever know right now. I, too, tend to turn to music (via YouTube mostly) to escape and get away from my current life problems.

    Perhaps you and I could get through our current situations by being supportive as we have been. However, I am questioning my faith more than ever these past few months and have come to two scenarios: Either God never existed as I was raised to believe OR God does and is NOT hearing my fervent prayers all this time. TAKE CARE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try every way to get through my current endless struggles, but it gets more difficult every time. I've lost faith many times - - often my suffering is so bad that I often pray that it will all end. I TRY to be "upbeat" on my blog. If I ever revealed everything, nobody would believe it.
      Take care, don't give up. Put yourself first.....that sounds selfish but it's the only way to survive.

      Delete
  5. thecontemplativecat here. Music is the soother of the soul. But, for me, it also seems more special. As a fellow depression sufferer, I appreciate your struggles. You are always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - - music has soothing qualities, but it does goes much deeper than that. In retrospect, I think I've been depressed much of my life. I've always felt that when something good happens it will eventually go awry.
      Thanks for thinking of me.

      Delete
  6. I'm at a loss to describe what music does to my heart and soul.
    That's an astonishing story of Argerich; I'll definitely be going over to YouTube!
    As ever, thank you for introducing us to these men and women. Every time I come over here, my learning curve (IQ?) goes up involuntarily.

    Still praying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm blushing from the compliment. I simply aquire knowledge as I go along - - I'm largely self-taught. I have a passionate quest for learning.
      In my post, I forgot to mention that Argerich and Horowitz were plagued with stage fright.

      BTW- - somebody has a birthday coming up.....have a happy one!

      Delete
  7. I confess I'd not heard of her before. My loss. I've now listened to some of her work, she's nothing less than amazing. Thank you for bringing to her to my attention.
    I hope your health and home situation and other things are improving.
    It's an early, too early, spring here, today temps were in the mid 70's, which is too warm for mid March.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people (including pianists) seem to lose some of their steam as they grow older. Argerich amazes me because she never lost her strength and passion - - even despite her serious health problems.
      The weather here in TN is like a rollercoaster. 75 degrees one day and 45 the next. Frost is expected next week.

      Delete
  8. Music touches us in mysterious ways. Truly can uplift your soul, for sure. Enjoy! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Music is like the answer to a prayer - - it transports us to better places....and soothes the soul.
    Spring will be here in a few days, and frost is predicted for my area of TN!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.