Friday, March 8, 2024

SILENT SCREAMS




When I was undergoing rigorous physical therapy, one of the therapists asked me "How come you never complain about the pain?" 

"My screams are silent," I answered.

That was absolutely true. Throughout my entire extraordinary life, my physical and mental pain are largely kept within myself.

Lately, I'm tempted to unleash a scream so loud that it would trigger an avalanche in the Rockies.

I didn't want to write another post until I found out more info about my medical issues (I will admit that I'm deteriorating).

Today (Friday) I had a scheduled CT scan in Cookeville, with a followup appt. with my oncologist on Monday.

I was initially supposed to have these appointments in January, but they were cancelled due to snow and ice.

The appointments were rescheduled in February. That's when the (#!××**#!!) transport driver refused to take me because she was afraid that she'd get stuck in my rural driveway.

So, boys and girls, let me tell you what happened today.

My CT scan was scheduled for 1:30. The UCHRA-transport driver was supposed to pick me up between 11:45 and 12:15.

My plan was to be well prepared in case the driver whimped out and refused to trek my driveway

Despite being half-dead (no exaggeration) I single-handedly dragged my heavy wheelchair down the seven front porch steps and sat in it. I figured if the driver refused to come to me - - I damn well will wheel myself down to him (her).

The predicted rain didn't materialize, but it was very cloudy with a chilly wind.

I and my wheelchair waited. And waited. And.....

By 12:30 I was getting worried. Cookeville is far away. By 1:00 I was near hysteria.

By 1:15 I said "To hell with it!"....and some other things that would make Satan blush.

I decided to go back inside.

Dragging a wheelchair up seven steps isn't easy when you have severe edema and a ravaged spine. I almost tumbled over. It was an impossibility. 

I finally tried to go in the back door, but it was even worse than the front porch steps.

I had to go up a treacherous hill where I got stuck. The wheelchair wouldn't budge. I was completely out of breath and both of my slippers came off (I couldn't wear shoes). There was no way I could get into the house.

In absolute desperation I grabbed my cell phone and called the Home Health Care center.

I babbled something about desperately needing help.

My abject humiliation knew no bounds.

Fortunately one of their workers was in my area and he came within minutes. I remembered him from a previous emergency.

 Anyway , he helped me and my wheelchair up the steps.

Just as he was leaving, the transport driver finally showed up. He told me that he'd give the driver hell.

I don't like to instigate rumbles - - but it sounded like a good idea.

Much more to tell, but I'll try to condense (???)

I called the transit office. They were sympathetic, apologetic, etc. I was told that they have unwittingly been switched to using a new system, which doesn't work well and often provides drivers with wrong schedules and late information.

I called the Cookeville Medical Center. They are going to contact UCHRA-transit and try to get things straightened out.

Good luck.

They also scheduled more appointments for me on April 2nd and 4th.......

Excuse me, while I go into another room and scream.

Jon


I'm too tired to check for typos. The photo has nothing to do with this post....

 

30 comments:

  1. That is absolutely insane! I hope that nice gentlemen gave the driver hell in no uncertain terms. I am sooo glad you called for help! I can't believe they never even bothered to call you when they were late/not showing up/refusing to pick you up--whatever damn excuse they have for their incompetence. I thought the Medical Center was going to try to get this straightened out after last time!? Good Lord!! No wonder you are exhausted and fed up!! Scream! As loud as you want. Scream so I can hear you in Fargo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost at a loss for words - - this is an ongoing nightmare and I'm dreading my next appointments. I don't know if the Medical Center could ever get it straightened out.
      I have enough problems without this crap.
      I generally don't like to call for help, but I panicked when I couldn't get into the house. Good thing I had my cell phone!

      Delete
  2. There is little to add, Jon, as this whole situation if trying to get appts and then transportation is a pure nightmare for you. Screaming may not resolve it, but just doing it has to be such a release. Having your cell phone with you at all times is a very good thing and as much as you do not like to call for help, the fact that you did so was an even better thing, Jon. It is unfortunate that the medical center could not reschedule the appts sooner than April. Perhaps or others acting on your behalf could convince them otherwise, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so disgusted with this entire situation. I have absolutely no optimism for my April appointments. This is really jeopardizing my health. Unfortunately I don't have any other alternative for transportation.
      The problems never end...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I appreciate that, Sandi. Many thanks for your concern.

      Delete
  4. This is beyond awful. Yes, always having the phone on you is vital. I keep mine in a cross body pouch, comes with me everywhere because you never know. That transportation nightmare is terrible. Apologies don't exactly fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. At this point apologies are well-intentioned but absolutely useless.
      I now carry my cell phone everywhere, being prepared for the unexpected.

      Delete
  5. I hope you get something done to help all the pain, at least. I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My optimism has completely vanished. If something positive ever happens, I'd probably die from the shock.
      Thanks, Donna.

      Delete
  6. Oh, Jon. I'm so sorry about all of this. This has probably been asked and answered, do you have anyone you know who would be able to transport you that can be counted on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the bright side, at least I always have something to write about *smile*.
      Unfortunately I have absolutely no one who can drive me. My cousin Nancy was always helpful, but she now has health problems and can hardly drive at all.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear man! I so wish there was something I could do or say.
    "Humiliation" ??? -- Please don't even talk that way. It takes guts to ask for help. And I've learned (for the most part) people are happy to help. Please let us know how the transport situation works out. Still praying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Myra.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous? What has blogger done to you? *smile*.
      This latest incident is only one of my present problems. It's a never-ending nightmare.
      I definitely dislike asking for help, but sometimes there's no alternative. It's fortunate that the care worker was in my area.
      Many thanks, Myra.

      Delete
  8. How frustrating Jon, not once but twice now !
    I'm glad that you were able to get your water pipes fixed, one less problem to think about.
    You definitely need some kind of wheelchair ramp to make life easier.
    Sending continued healing thoughts and prayers your way.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ramp would definitely help but the rugged and erratic terrain around my house would make it nearly impossible.
      I am dreading my upcoming April appointments, because I doubt that the deplorable transit situation will ever improve. Unfortunately, I have no alternative.
      Many thanks for your concern and positive thoughts.

      Delete
  9. thecontemplativecat here. You are in my prayers, Jon. God is the Physician, the Healer. No matter what He has in store for you, just relax into His Arms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your comforting comment is greatly appreciated. Thanks for thinking of me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good lord, this is something out of "Unfortunate events..." Lemony Snicket stuff.
    My sympathies, Jon, damn...can you get the cell number of the person who supposedly is picking you up for these things, to call in times like this?
    I'm hoping the medical staff there can accommodate you, you certainly should be on their priority list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Mike - unfortunately the transit company has a new policy of using drivers from many different counties - - so I never know what driver I'll get.
    I'm really upset after missing so many important appointments. The medical staff is looking into the situation and trying to help.
    I'm a Lemony Snicket fan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why does this Country have to make things so difficult? You should not have to go through that in this so-called "modern age of technology". And YES the medical field really does need to get their shit together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am completely disgusted. You're right on target - - everything has become impossibly difficult. I'm presently dealing with several things that are driving me to the brink of insanity. The problems never end.......
      I know you can identify with this. Take care. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. Good Lord! My screams would not be so silent! I think our 'medical system' is a hot mess. Being an RN, I can verify that one!! I've got stories!! Anyway, I sure hope they get their shat together and show up for the next appointment. Yes, carry your phone everywhere...even to the bathroom! Hoping this sorts itself out. Take care, Jon.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't trust UCHRA-Transport any longer. They messed up so many of my important appointments that it's unforgivable. One of the home care nurses is presently trying to find another mode of transportation for me.
      For some dumb reason I wasn't going to brink my cell phone that day, but I'm sure glad I did! I never realized it would be so difficult getting back in the house.
      Thanks for your comment, John.

      Delete
  15. Oh gosh, so sorry to hear of your struggles. This post broke my heart that times are so severe that even transport won't show up! I wish you lived near us. Me or Steve (husband) would take you GLADLY! We try to do that for others in need in our area. We live way out in the country but it's all flat land here in SE Georgia (say it correctly: Gawga). We have no children, so, I'm especially thankful to have a Church family that will look out for each other if needs must. Do you have a Church family or friends that are reliable? Maybe they can help. When we serve others we serve God.
    Sending prayers. May health and circumstances improve for you soon.
    Blessings. 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. I moved to rural Tennessee nearly ten years ago, for the peace and privacy. I never realized how difficult things would be if I ever became seriously ill.
      One of my cousins lives near me. She used to be extremely helpful, but now she has health problems and can't drive.
      Unfortunately, I have no mode of transportation other than the one I'm trying to use - but so far they are very unreliable. It's extremely frustrating.
      I really appreciate your concern.

      Delete
  16. Oh Jon, I am sorry that you are having these difficulties. I haven't been to your blog for a while, preoccupied as you probably know. I'm getting my life back in order to my new reality. I am amazed that you manage so much by yourself. You should have a caregiver but I realize that isn't always possible with some people.
    Ron of Retired in Delaware

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad that your life is getting back to a semblance of normalcy, Ron. You need time to rest and regenerate. It's good that you have helpful friends who can sustain you. The emptiness never goes away, but new positive adventures await you.
    I'm presently dealing with more problems that I'd ever dare to mention. It's one unpleasant thing after another, but I'm plodding forward......

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.