Wednesday, July 3, 2024

DISTANT SUMMERS, RELUCTANT PHOTOS

 I was feeling pretty good last weekend. Then came Monday and I got another one of those mysterious fevers. I was shaking so hard with chills on Monday night, that I turned on a portable heater.

Fever be damned. I'm more angry and disgusted than anything else. The fever has presently diminished because I'm taking Tylenol. Home care nurse comes on Friday.

I wasn't intending to focus on my health, but I figured you'd be more interested in that than what I intend to do next.

Old photos from distant summers?

I'm in a quandary concerning this blog.

Some of my long-time readers (all two of you)  don't like to see the old posts that I rerun.

Some of my new readers (all three of you) don't want to hear about my past.

Truth to tell - I've had a heckuva interesting past, and I'd much rather share that with you than....

....telling you about me sitting in a wheelchair watching the begonias bloom.

I prefer to have this blog colorful rather than boring. If I don't reveal things from my past, I'll be severing an important part of myself.

But, of course, I could probably make blooming begonias sound interesting if I pushed my creativity hard enough....

Now I'm going to be courageous and reluctantly post some uninteresting photos of summers from my distant past. It's for my own selfish personal pleasure, so I can forget about my fever.


A long-ago photo taken at Huntington Beach, CA


When I was sixteen I spent the summer with relatives in New Jersey. My cousin Maryann and her husband Pete had a boat. Pete got drunk, was speeding full force, and we almost crashed into the Statue of Liberty (that's when I took this photo). The boat finally ran out of gas and we had to be towed back to New Jersey.


Me in a yellow Bakelite pool (my father worked for Bakelite at that time). A few minutes after this photo was taken, a wasp landed in the pool. I reached out to touch it and got stung.


Me, age two or three, in Paducha, Texas. My parents were taking a trip from New Jersey to California. I'm wondering if this stone monument is still in existence. I only saw one other old photo of it on the Internet.


The summer when I was nine years old - - my mother and I went (from California) to New Jersey for two weeks. This is me and (some of) my cousins on our grandmother's front steps.
Back row: Nancy and her sister Patty. Front row: Stephanie, Barbara, Cookie (Elizabeth) and me.
Mom and I took a TWA flight to New Jersey. One of the engines stopped en route and we had to make a crash landing in Denver.


Weird picture. Nothing interesting here. One summer when I was twelve we stopped to have a picnic somewhere near Flagstaff, Arizona. There were so many bugs flying around that my father covered his head. I took the photo.


Let's fast foreward a few years. I was in my early twenties and was escaping a very toxic relationship. I went to Baja and lived on the beach for several weeks.


Standing by my boat in Baja.


Another weird photo, taken several years later. This was the summer when I dyed my hair brown - - and a friend and I sailed a boat to Catalina. I was drunk for two weeks. I'd like to tell the story about this escapade, but it's too long. And it's so hot that it would burn a hole in this blog.


Long Beach, CA
The Queen Mary and the Goodyear "blimp" - - photo taken on the 4th of July. (faded Polaroid)

I have hundreds more summer photos.......but I'll give you time to recouperate....

Happy Independence Day!  Jon


28 comments:

  1. I am new to your blog and enjoy the past present and hopefully the future! I have received good advice from my blogging pals, don't worry about what you have to say on your blog. No one else is and if they are, they won't read. I have a strong feeling you have some interesting tales to tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. You've given me the incentive to post more stories about my (colorful?) past.

      Delete
    2. Sandra...it is beyond me why Jon has not put out a memoir yet!!!!!

      Delete
    3. I'm lazy....but I'll get there.

      Delete
  2. Happy Fourth! Here's an idea: write whatever you want to! When you write with enthusiasm, people want to read. Don't agonize, organize! Oh, that's Nancy, but anyway, go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Organization was never one of my fortes - - but I'm really good at agonizing. Am I enthusiastic? Who knows...
      Yes that's my cousin Nancy who now lives here in TN.

      Delete
  3. It's interesting to me! I hope you will keep posting, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think it's interesting, I'll keep resurrecting my (sordid) past.

      Delete
  4. I've been reading for a while, I enjoy the old posts, I enjoy hearing about your past. I even enjoy what you call the boring posts. This is your space, to write what you want. If readers don't want to read a certain post, they know how to exit out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your comment. Sometimes I bore myself...but I hope you'll continue visiting my blog

      Delete
  5. Yes. Please keep sharing the moments that were most important to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think that I say too much, but writing has always been an emotional outlet for me. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  6. First things first! Who told you that they don't want to hear about your past??? I say post what you want. Readers constantly find blogs to read, so you're bound to get readers for the first time. There are far more readers than commenters. And never watch what you say, or hold back details. They make for the fun , interesting side of you.

    2- never , ever dye your hair brown again!!!!! You're a blond damn it! I have always loved that first picture of you. Hell, I would have probably made a pass at you!!!

    3-Blogging is interesting. Although more blogs I read, another 5 shuttered up this month alone. I think my list is now down to 39 blogs.

    4- I hope you have a wonderful Fourth Jon. I hope you have plenty of baked beans!!!! Here's to hopefully no more fevers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't reveal the people who aren't interested in my past. I've had an unusually interesting past. I'm planning to write a post about the time I was a security guard and worked the midnight shift with a man who was a murder! That should generate some attention

      I used to hate being a blond and wished I had dark hair - - but now I'm really glad I'm a blond. BTW I would have been flattered if you had made a pass at me.
      I'm feeling better today, so I might have a good 4th.

      Delete
  7. I'm a big fan of your sordid past! I had one, too! LOL! Keep 'em coming! ALL your stories are interesting as well as the pics. I love the one (maybe more than one) where you showed some of your paintings...and there was that Halloween clock I flipped over! I miss seeing any kitties, though. So sorry to hear about these fevers of 'unknown origin'. Hope the nurse can get this one figured out and resolved. Hotter than hades in Ohio today and the humidity was horrible. Hope it's more comfortable there. Take care, Jon.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always confident that you enjoy the sordid tales of my past. Unfortunately, there are many things I can't reveal on a public blog.
      I'm glad that you remember the Halloween clock and my art collection.
      I really want more kitties, but I want to wait until things are more settled at this chaotic time in my life.
      I suspect the fever might be caused from a (possible) urinary tract infection.
      It's been in the 90s for two weeks here, but today was a cool 89 *smile*

      Delete
  8. Please! Don't go concerning yourself with the armchair critics. (They're probably jealous.) Some of these are new to me, and I really like this idea. The 'old' is new again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think the old is new again, and remains interesting for a second time. I'll not give up on revealing my past....I have many tales yet to share.

      Delete
  9. I love when you post your old photos, Jon! Especially the ones of you around the time you seldom speak about your life adventures. BTW, and respectfully speaking, ummmm, well, that one pic of you standing by your boat? Let's just say you looked very "hot".

    That being said, I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me smile. I love compliments- - especially because I don't get very many. I enjoy posting old photos and revealing things about my past.
      I'm feeling much better today and the fever is gone.

      Delete
  10. Jon it’s your blog, post as you see fit.:)
    I would never dream of telling others what to put on their blog. :/ -Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're still here, and I always love your insightful comments.
      I have many more tales of my past to tell.

      Delete
  11. A lovely collection of photos Jon, you remind me of John Schneider, in Dukes of Hazzard,
    I used to swoon over him every week :)
    Hope you are fever free and on the mend.
    Wishing you a Happy July 4th.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I happened to meet John Schneider before he was famous. He was just trying out for the part in The Dukes of Hazzard. He was very humble and down to earth - at that time more interested in music than acting. I had some photos and letters from him - - and unfortunately they were all lost when I moved to TN. He was taller than me. I'm 6 feet. I think he is 6'2".
      I'm feeling better, no fever today.

      Delete
  12. You and your cousins favor a lot. Were you the only grandson on that side? Write and/or share whatever you want. Hope your 4th is going well, and you’re feeling better. Take care, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My maternal grandmother had twelve grandchildren, eight girls and four boys.
      I'm feeling much better now. At least the fever is gone.
      Thanks, Sheila

      Delete
  13. You should write about whatever you want. If it is interesting to you it will be interesting to others. You hinted at some stories that could be longer in this post...like the crash landing with your mom! Glad the fever is gone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That crash landing was the first plane ride of my life - - I'm surprised that it didn't give me a lifetime fear of flying. I really do have a lot of stories to tell.
      Fortunately the mysterious fever is gone. I have no clue what's causing it.
      Have a pleasant 4th!
      .

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.