Wednesday, September 11, 2024

HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD MYSTERY HOUSE

   



  When I was a reckless youth roaming the midnight streets of Hollywood there were many places on the Boulevard that thoroughly intrigued me. One was the dilapidated old wooden Victorian house that belonged to the mysterious Janes Sisters.

Located on 6541 Hollywood Boulevard, it was way up on the dreary west end, away from the centralized touristy glitz. I used to love walking past it late at night because it looked exactly like a haunted Halloween house. It seemed so completely out of place on the Boulevard, a curious relic stubbornly remaining from a by-gone era.

A few dim lights glowed eerily from the windows, and every once in a while one of the ancient sisters would peak out from behind curtains and glare at me. It was almost as though I could actually feel her annoyance. Annoying them was never my intention. I was merely fascinated.

I had heard a few sketchy stories about the sisters and their peculiarities. I'd even heard that the house was haunted. I didn't learn the truth until many years later. 

The only resident "ghosts" were the four siblings who lived there for many decades: Mabel, Mary, Carrie, and Donald Janes. By the time I became fascinated with the house, Mary and Donald were deceased. Only Carrie and Mabel remained.


The Janes House as it looks in recent years -
a far cry from the creepy haunted house that I remember.

  The house was built in 1902. Herman and Mary Janes lived there - along with their four children (the aforementioned Carrie, Mabel, Mary, and Donald). In 1911, the women of the household opened a school in the house. It was known as the Misses Janes School of Hollywood. Their pupils included the children of such celebrities as Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, Wallace Beery, and film producer Jesse Lasky.

After Mr. and Mrs. Janes died, the school fell upon hard times. It closed in 1926, but the four Janes siblings continued living in the house. Donald opened a gas station in the front yard, known as Janes Auto Service.



Rare interior photos

By 1964 part of the property was converted into a parking lot. That same year, Carrie's husband died (she was the only sibling who had married). Within a decade, the house fell into decay. A handyman was hired to look after the property. The two remaining sisters, Carrie and Mabel, never ventured outside.

After Mabel died in 1978, Carrie moved into the kitchen and slept in a makeshift window box bed. Carrie is the one who would peer out the window at me. In 1982 Carrie was moved to a nursing home in the valley, where she died the following year at the age of 94.

Fortunately the Janes House didn't suffer the fate of demolition, like so many other historic Hollywood buildings. It was purchased in 1985. The new owners had the entire house moved to the back lot, away from the street. After extensive renovations it was used as a Visitor Center, then it became a restaurant called Memphis, and later a nightclub. So far as I know, it's now a 1920's style speakeasy.(written in 2015)

Although the radical transformation of the house has served varied - and mostly unsuccessful - purposes, it is at least securely preserved for posterity. The Janes sisters would certainly be amazed - and perhaps pleased.



The house is almost unrecognizable from when I knew it. It somehow looks smaller and benign, rather than like the foreboding, decaying oddity that it once was.

Here's an interesting fact:
The Janes House inspired author Harry Farrell to write a novel entitled Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? It later became a 1962 hit movie (and a cult classic) starring Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

The name of the main character in the book, Baby Jane Hudson, was derived from the surname of the Janes sisters - and the name of a nearby street, Hudson Avenue.

Only in Hollywood.     

                                    

copyright 2015, J. Varga


 

Note:

This is an old post and one of my favorites. I'm rehashing it for those who have never read it.

Cheers, Jon

17 comments:

  1. One of my favorites, as well! How I'd have loved visiting that restaurant/night club. (My only fan-girl indulgence was a visit to the Polo Lounge... huge disappointment.)
    Now I've that song playing in my head, "Hush, hush, sweet Charlotte."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Myra. I always like to flaunt my favorite posts.
      I was kicked out of the Polo Lounge twice. Once for being drunk and the other for wearing a cowboy hat.
      I miss those Hollywood days!

      Delete
  2. "I've written a letter to daddy"...."It's not me that needs the doctor, Blanche".... "I'm Baby Jane Hudson"...... so many great lines. I remember reading this post and its fun seeing it again. Thanks so much for posting.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "But ya ARE in the chair, Blanche!"
      Yes, there are lots of great lines in that movie - it's one of my favorite classics.
      Thanks, John.

      Delete
  3. I've read it before, but it is just as interesting as it was the first time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that, Rita. I'm glad that I got to see that house long ago, when some of the Janes sisters were still alive.

      Delete
  4. Who hasn’t had memories of an old house in one the older neighborhoods thought to be haunted. We had one on Esplanade Street in Orange Ca that I would pass on my way to kindergarten and the beginning of first grade 1969-70. The old Victorian house was various shades of grey from being sun and weather beaten, and definitely had seen better days, it had to have been the oldest house on the street. At night a very dim light would glow from a side window. A very elderly woman lived in the house who had outlived all her family. A black cleaning woman would visit the house several times a week. We moved from the area in October 70. A couple years later we had heard the elderly woman had died, and the house had been torn down.
    Interesting side story about the book What Ever Happened Baby Jane and its connection to the Janes’ residence.
    A not so well known fact, Joan Crawford liked the novel and she bought the film rights to it, so that she could do a film with Bette Davis. My favorite scenes were when Jane mimics Blanche’s voice, the first time to order 6 bottles of Scotch and 3 bottles of gin from Johnson’s liquor store. And again when she tells Dr. Shelby that they’ve found another doctor for Jane. :) Another scene is where Jane goes to place an ad and the ad man says to his co-worker “who the hell is Baby Jane ?” That movie should have received a special Oscar, it’s so a part of film legend. 🎬🎥🎞️ -Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house that you described sounds similar to the Janes house. It was grey and weather worn. So many of these old residences were like haunted houses.....and (unfortunately) most were torn down.
      I never knew Joan Crawford bought the film rights from the novel.
      Bette Davis was nominated for Best Actress in Baby Jane - - but if memory serves me, I think Anne Bancroft won that year for The Miracle Worker.
      Baby Jane is really a classic and I never get tired of watching in. Bette Davis was priceless.
      Thanks for your interesting comment.

      Delete
    2. "watching it" - - sorry for the typo

      Delete
  5. A little more info. Sounds like a movie could be made of the Janes sisters/family. They had quite a story and I bet a lot more than people know.
    https://www.beforethe101.com/post/janes-house-hollywood-no-vacancy-bar
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do recall reading this previously, but I enjoy reading all your posts, no matter if (or how many times) they are reposted... thank you Jon, for sharing! Love- Louise, you Tennessee neighbor:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means a lot to know that you enjoy reading my posts - - no matter what they are. I needed that vote of confidence.
      Thank you, Louise! (hugs)

      Delete
  7. Did you know it has its own Wikipedia page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I listed the wrong address. The Janes family owned several blocks of property in the 1920s. 7021 was part of it - - but the house is on 6541. The 7021 address is now a pharmacy.
      I finally corrected my error!

      Delete
    2. Can you imagine buying a house for $10,000? That must have been like a million dollars today, I am guessing.

      Delete
    3. Yes, that was an enormous amount of money back then.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.