Monday, March 29, 2021

IN AN EASTER MOOD

Question:
Does anybody made real genuine Easter candy anymore? The kind that I remember when I was a kid.

The only store around here (in the Godforsaken boonies) that sells Easter candy is Walmart, and all they have is 

(ladies, hold your ears) 

absolute CRAP. 

The "peeps" now come in gaudy neon colors and they are completely inedible. They seem to be made of a mixture of pure sugar and plastic. Probably some lethal concoction from China.


 

Years ago in the halcyon realms of the good ol' days, Easter peeps were always yellow and made with real marshmallow. I also remember white rabbit "peeps" with pink eyes.

Whatever happened to those big chocolate eggs that were filled with coconut cream? They always had pretty pastel candy flowers on top. I'd commit devious deeds to have one of those again.

And BIG SOLID chocolate rabbits!  Seems like most candy rabbits are small and hollow nowadays - filled with vapid air.   You get a three ounce rabbit housed in an elaborate 64 ounce box.

Bring back my childhood immediately!!
(sorry, I've always been known to make impossible demands).

You know what I really used to love? Those beautiful elaborate eggs made of sugar, which had little Easter scenes inside. They were so pretty that I never dared to eat one.
They were created for visual pleasure - not consumption.


 For your visual consumption, I have a collection of Easter photos. A few are recent, but many were taken when I lived in Texas.

I post this one every year. It's my cat Kitzee (also known as Scratch) eating the Easter tulips.
One Easter morning, when I lived in Texas, a bunch of tumbleweeds blew into my yard. I photographed the Easter Bunny with a tumbleweed.



This is my Spring Bunny tea set, which I purchased about twenty-five years ago and never used.
Could you picture me having a tea party with my bunny dishes??
Perhaps I'll live dangerously and use one of the bunny mugs this year.


I never purposely collected rabbits, but I seem to have a lot of them. They multiply quickly.....




The big "Mama" chick walks around when you wind her up. It used to drive the cats crazy.

Got both of these from an antique store in Springfield, Missouri. The chick sitting on the egg is over 100 years old.
The chick emerging from an egg isn't very old, but it's sweet nevertheless.

Kitzee meets the Easter Bunny
 


 

9 comments:

  1. Kitzee is so cute tasting the tulips with her two lips. It brightens my mood to see your nice collection of Easter bunnies, and Bunny tea set. The hundred year old chick on an egg has that certain sweet antique-y look to it. You have to be careful of bunnies in tumbleweeds in Texas I guess (and Easter Jackalopes, in tumbleweeds too.)

    I remember seeing those candy Easter Eggs that have scenery or surprise bunnies or chicks, or lambs inside them, but I haven't seen any in a few years. I'm sure a good candy store would have them.

    I used to put up a small Easter tree each year. I put it on the table. It was actually tree branches anchored in sand in a large milk glass hobnail flowerpot. I did hand-painted eggs to hang on it. I would cut out an oval opening in some of the eggs and put a small spring scene inside of them. I still have the branches, and I have my hand painted hollowed out chicken eggs, but I haven't put the Easter Tree on the table for a few years now. I have a little 2 month old grand daughter now who I am sure will enjoy seeing the Easter tree when she is older. My grandson used to, but to get his interest now, I would need to build it out of Legos.

    It was good to see your Easter decorating. Thank you for showing us.







    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Easter for just the coming of the spring season and all the new life alone. It's one of the prettiest times of the year.

    I love all your little decorations. I put out a few things myself...mostly all vintage items that were my grandmothers or given to me by a good friend. We also have a legendary candy shop here in Philly called Shane's Confectionery. It is a GORGEOUS shop, and they specialize in all the old candy treats and hard to find things like when you were a kid. At Easter, they do indeed make those eggs with the scene in them, to eat and to have as a sugar collectible. Amazing! They also do the clear toy candy in Easter designs as well as choclate bunnies, chicken, lambs, cows and such. When I go in it's like walking in the pass, and they often do magical windows at the front of the store. They do candy for each Holiday....Halloween is especially fun too. I'm sure they have a website. I have featured then once on my blog too.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. And PS- That last pictured really cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also fascinated with those decorative sugar eggs. Since I heartily dislike marshmallow, I've never been a fan of peeps. I'm all over anything coconut or eggs with truffle filling, malted milk candy eggs or anything real chocolate. (NOT Palmers which is wax with brown coloring)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never liked Peeps, either. But we used to get one small solid chocolate easter bunny. That's it. No hunting for Easter eggs at my house growing up. So there's nothing I personally miss about Easter. But the grandsons get to hunt for Easter eggs and get some candy every year so that's really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I'd totally forgotten about those decorative sugar eggs! Do you recall those made with marzipan? I've never been a fan of peeps (YUK!!!) -- or jelly beans, for that matter. But I'm loving that image of the Easter bunny with the tumbleweeds. The tea set? Methinks you should start enjoying them right now. Despite the fact I've little to no storage space, between you and (Tary)Terre, I'm going to start looking for quaint seasonal knick-knacks at thrift stores and estate sales. Blame it on the pandemic (or old age), but I think it's high time we start celebrating little things that bring us joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jon, I loved this post so much!! Brought back lots of great childhood memories. And, as always, I loved seeing your handsome fur babies!!

    And yes, I too remember the REAL Easter goodies - by yesteryear's standards the current candy is crap indeed! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are SO right, Jon, the Peeps have gone way overboard with not only so many "flavors" including cotton candy, chocolate pudding, bubblegum, etc. As for the chocolate bunnies, we always preferred the solid ears, but years ago the entire body was solid, compared to today. Thanks for the tour of your bunny collection. There's none here, except for a few $1 store decos as exterior decos outside the apt. door.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.