Saturday, October 7, 2023

LONE WOLF




Lone Wolf Concerto?

A loner in the wilderness - - decidedly spartan, but sophisticated enough to thoroughly enjoy Wagner's Gotterdammerung and the works of Dostoevsky.

That's me.

I've always been a contradictory enigma. Many people can't understand me. Truthfully, I often can't understand myself.

"Why do you want to live totally alone in a rural area, with no human contact?"

That's a question I've been frequently asked lately.

It's my choice - - something I've always wanted and something I've done with absolutely no regrets.

It's admittedly difficult, fraught with inconveniences, complications, and things unexpected. But so is life, no matter where you live.

"But, Jon, how can you live without friends, neighbors, people in general? We need human contact."

Dismissing human contact has given me strength. Throughout my entire life I have never needed another person to make me feel whole. I'm my own best friend. Most people crave to depend on others, and I think it's a sign of weakness.

I certainly don't shun other people. At this late point in my life, however, I value my privacy more than ever. I still have relatives and many friends that are long - distance. I prefer it that way.

"Jon, you're all alone. What if you have a medical emergency?"

I was very - and I mean EXTREMELY- near death on June the 1st. I managed to call 911 and was saved. So what?

You can live around a multitude of people and still drop dead. Life is a gamble.

Don't assume that I was a loner my entire life. My life has been extraordinary - - filled with more adventures and incredible journeys than most people ever dreamed of. I've had an extremely unconventional existence filled with glorious opportunities, a myriad of friends (and relationships). I played a piano concerto with a symphony orchestra, performed with chamber orchestras throughout Southern California, and was also a pianist soloist and accompanist.

I also later did an enormous amount of freelance writing and was surprisingly successful. I also published two books of poetry (available on Amazon). One is for children.

My years in Hollywood afforded me to hustle on the sleazy hardcore midnight streets.....and attend parties in Beverly Hills mansions.

I had one helluva life, with glorious heights and horrifying depths of despair. I'm thankful that I experienced it and grateful for the memories.

Now, I am desperately trying to recover from a heart attack and a malignant tumor that nearly killed me. I'm not in the clear yet.

But I'm fervently hoping I can soon return to my home in the wilderness - - to savor the astonishment of Mother Nature and the comfort of peace and privacy.

                 Jon

I'm not going to reply to your comments until I find out how to disable auto-correct. It keeps changing the words that I type.

P.S. Well, I've spent the good part of an hour trying to disable auto-correct. Nothing works. I'll simply have to toletate it.

DAMN!!!

23 comments:

  1. Did anyone in Hollywood surprise you with their goodness or kindness? We've all heard sad stories about that place, but are there good stories too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hollywood is definitely an egotistical place where everybody is greedy and solely concerned for themselves. But somewhere amidst the blinding glitz there are compassionate people - difficult to find, but they are there.
      Most of the stars and famous people that I met were surprisingly nice. Behind the fake images were genuinely good people - like Joan Rivers. She was fantastic.

      Delete
    2. I always liked her. I was so sad when she passed.

      Delete
  2. Simply said, I always thought it was the perfect title for your blog. Some days I think I would like to live out where you are, but then by one week, I'd be going stir crazy. The pandemic was one thing, but otherwise Im too social a creature.

    Here's to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Socially active people like yourself would probably be screaming within an hour *smile* and I honestly wouldn't blame you.
      I always thought some people would be puzzled by my blog title, so I figured I'd explain it.
      I'll drink to recovery!

      Delete
  3. I would be happy living like the wonderful Tasha Tudor. I was an only child, and was fulfilled with my own little world. Plop me on the side of a mountain and I'd be in my glory.
    Cold weather moving in tonight, our first real taste of Autumn 🍁
    Blessings,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was an only child, too, and was used to savoring my own private world.
      Autumn is passing too quickly! I want to enjoy it by my forest before it ends.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for addressing my/our concerns. I hope you'll tell us how your senses feel the first morning you wake up in your own bed and step outside.
    I'm certainly no expert but believe there are those (of us) who experience different seasons in their life. Not in a million years would 30-something me envision 2023's version -- and, for the most part, thoroughly enjoying it. Maybe that's something we have to grow into without intent.
    Lifting my glass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll undoubtedly have to step outside with the aide of a walker - but what the heck.....
      Myra, when I looked back at my youth I am absolutely stunned at the extremely dangerous things I did. There is NO possible way I could ever live thst lifestyle now.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Jon, for addressing the concerns your fellow bloggers have for your well being given your preference of living alone with minimal human contact. It's a bit more understandable given your years of living with more adventures than most others. It's a personal decision and if your choice ifs to return to your wilderness home, then I would wish you all the best and sure others would as well. It's not always necessary to understand the choices of someone, but to accept that is it their own to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lost my youth, my looks, my thirst for adventure and danger. I truly wanted to live my final years in peace and solitude. I deserve it. I'm all worn out, but the glory of being surrounded by Mother Nature is truly healing to the soul.

      Delete
  6. Auto correct can be so frustrating and hope you can work out a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried nearly everything but so far nothing worked.

      Delete
  7. You're absolutely right, Rita. It isn't the solitude. It's the safety. My main concern now is that I'm too physically weak to do the work that needs to be done. It's all going to take more time and effort than I thougt. And I'll definitely need some help with doing things.
    I need to do a thorough house-cleaning - - and I want to buy some new appliances.
    As always, thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jon
    I really do relate to where you’re coming from.
    A cat is like the cherry on top.
    I’ve one of your poetry books.
    Hope you sign it for me sometime.
    Love
    Lisa
    Posh
    Whiteface
    (salemslot9)🧡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa - sometimes I think I'm too opinionated, but I like to voice my true feelings. You have certainly been a long-time blogger friend and I really appreciate that.
      Unfortunately I can't sign the book, but if you email me your address I'll send a card to say "hello".( I promise I won't show up on your doorstep *smile".
      jonvtenn@aol.com

      Delete
  9. I posted and either I hit the wrong button or spam got it. I was agreeing about the joy of being alone. I grew up in a large family, the youngest by a distance, and was so happy when each sib grew up and left. The isolation of the pandemic worked for me, long widowed and living alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard from several people whose comments disappeared. It must have been difficult growing up in a large family. I can understand why you enjoy being alone.
      Peace and solitude is precious. I wouldn't want to live without it.

      Delete
  10. I understand you. I am a loner, not as solitary as you are, I have a spouse, but I live a life mostly in solitude. I have a choice and it's what I chose. So, I get it. I really hope you get home before winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people don't understand others who crave solitude. I've lived my wild youth, and now all I want is peace and privacy.
      I am really hoping I can get home before the cold weather sets in. It seems to be arriving early this year. Last night there was a frost warning.

      Delete
  11. I, too, share your need for privacy, Jon. In my youth; however, I thought that I could not live without people in my life. As I have gotten older, all I want is to be alone. Th world had changed and so have I - big time.

    I am praying hard for you to get back home again SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived my wild youth with lots of people. Now that I'm (much) older, I value peace and privacy with no excess baggage.
      It's great to hear from you!

      Delete
  12. I think you're going to be so glad to get home, even if it will be winter! I went to boarding school for a couple of years as a kid and it was hell on earth sharing a room with 8 others and having no privacy. I don't like to be completely alone, and I'm a city person at heart, but that is a very different thing from being forced to have other people in your face all the time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.