Saturday, October 19, 2024

ELEGY

 

Anna Gordon Knoll


These mellow, golden October days always intensify my sentimental nature. So many memories of the past keep surfacing.

October 17th marked the death of my maternal grandmother Anna Gordon Knoll. I was only sixteen when she died, but I retain vivid memories.

My great- grandfather John Gordon had twelve children. The first two were born in Hungary. The rest were born here in the U.S. My Grandmother Knoll was born in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

The eldest of the Gordon children was my great-aunt Kate, who was murdered in 1906 at the age of eighteen by my great uncle Frederick Lang (I've written several blog posts about this tragedy).

When I was a very young child in New Jersey, both my parents worked, so I was left in the care of my grandmother.

Her presence is indelibly etched in my memory. She was soft spoken, gentle, with an inherent manner of dignity and sophistication - which was prevalent in all the Gordon women.

She had a beautiful singing voice, and would usually sing while doing her daily tasks around the house.

She was a magnificent cook. Her Hungarian food was so delicious, that my cousins still remember it to this day. My very favorite was her tesztaleves (noodle soup) with, of course, homemade noodles. I also remember the kenyar (bread), sutemenyek (pastries), and serpenyos rostelyos (pot roast).

She always called me Janczi (pronounced yan-chee) - - which was a derivative of Janos (John).

She died in New Jersey and my parents and I lived in California. We had only a very short time to drive back east for the funeral.

My father drove at breakneck speed across country in his brand new Cadillac. We didn't even stop to sleep in a motel. We pulled over at a roadside rest stop and slept in the car for a few hours.

My most vivid memory of that trip was the gorgeous autumn scenery. The weather all across country was clear and beautiful.

The loss of my grandmother had an intense impact on me, which still remains.

Sleep in the comforting arms of peace.


Me, age sixteen in my senior year. This photo was taken two weeks before my grandmother died.


I took a crimson rose from her graveside and pressed it in my Bible. It retained a sweet scent for many years, but eventually faded and turned almost black. It's still in the Bible.


I still have her cookie jar, which was given to me by one of my aunts. I remember this jar since I was three years old. My grandmother always had it filled with homemade cookies.

Jon


I'm blogging frequently this month because  I have a lot to say. You can read about my possum house guests in my previous post.



14 comments:

  1. A touching tribute. It as an honor to be remembered this way. Something tells me she would appreciate this deeply, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that, but you're right - - I'm certain that she would have appreciated it.
      Thanks, Sandi.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your memories and your life with us, I enjoy your blog posts very much. Take care! Hugs to you...Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate that, Louise. I like to share my memories. It seems to be therapeutic for me.

      Delete
  3. I've no doubt whatsoever that your grandmother's enormously gratified -- both by the preserved rose and this beautiful tribute. I love your sentimental heart, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite all my flaws, I've always had an intensely sentimental heart - as long as I can remember. I think it's my saving grace.
      Thanks, Myra.

      Delete
  4. Jon, this was a lovely tribute to your grandmother who obviously was such an important person in your life. She would undoubtedly have appreciated knowing how much she meant to you. Owning that cookie jar must always bring happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blessed with an incredible memory - which enabled me to retain many details of my maternal grandmother (and all of my other relatives). I can almost still taste the cookies in that cookie jar.
      Thanks for your comment, Dorothy.

      Delete
  5. Being with your grandmother must have been such respite from your father's temper. Such wonderful, loving memories of her. She was definitely precious to you. Glad the movers didn't "lose" her cookie jar! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like being in a different world when I was away from my father.
      I'm glad you mentioned the movers who brought my possessions to TN. They had lost (or stolen) an enormous amount of things. Fortunately, I have the cookie jar.

      Delete
  6. I'm pleased you had her in your life. A quiet respite from you violent father. Carrying these memories is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always had peace and normalcy with my grandmother. That was a treasure in itself.

      Delete
  7. I could not agree more with you about good memories and this time of the year bringing them out and back to us. This is yet one more reason to LOVE AUTUMN!!

    I also love hearing about your family history and thank you so much for sharing them with us, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn is a very special season and it never fails to resurrect treasured memories....and to inspire new ones.
      Thanks, Kim
      and meow to the fur babies.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.