Thursday, June 20, 2019

ALMOST SUMMER








There are times when I get so tired of blogging that a temporary break is required. When I re-read the posts that I've written, I dislike every one of them. I get frustrated when I start boring myself. After all, I've often said I'm the most fascinating person I know.

My "fascinating" aspects have lately disintegrated into mundane crap.
My readership has dwindled. Comments on my blog are nearly non-existent.

I made two recent blog blunders:
Writing a pro-Trump post (which I'm sure infuriated 99 per cent of my readers)
and writing a quasi gay pride post (which probably caused a few of the church ladies to grab their smelling salts).

An aside here:
Some people might be puzzled or annoyed at my occasional "church lady" remarks. I started using that phrase long, long ago when I first started blogging.
I used to jokingly say that I'd better not put anything risque in my blog, or it will offend all the innocent church ladies.
I still think it's kinda cute.
And maybe kinda true.

Anyway, when I write in my blog, I'm mostly just talking to myself. That's why I bitch, complain, and ramble.
And occasionally blurt out my real feelings.

I plan to "blurt" my real feelings much more often. It's extremely invigorating.

When you live alone in the wilderness, like I do, blogging is an emotional outlet - a way of convincing myself I'm still alive. Finding creative ways to write about mundane things isn't always easy. Or interesting.

Change of subject

Tomorrow (Friday) is the first official day of summer.
Summer??
I'll believe it when the weather warms up. And when the incessant rain stops.

Rain, rain, continual, endless rain every day without letup. Severe storms last night which nearly put the fear of God in me. My cats retreated to safe places.
I got out the candles and oil lamps. 

I used to think the Missouri Ozarks was the rainiest place on earth. Hell, it can't compare with Tennessee.

This morning was foggy and autumnal (I liked it).
This afternoon - just before I started writing this - the clouds broke and the sun appeared. This rare event nearly took my breath away.

I looked for a rainbow but there was none.


Sunlight appeared this afternoon:
a rare occurrence

Bosco (this afternoon)
enjoying the open window in my bedroom

Kitzee (also known as Scratch)
enjoying the open window 
in the living room

(I never open the living room windows all the way, because the rain pours in)



13 comments:

  1. I love the blue glass on your window sill....very cheery!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love colored glass, especially when it's in the sunlight. I have a large collection of it (many colors) but there aren't very many places to put it in this house.
      Besides, the sun seldom shines in TN...

      Delete
  2. SO glad to see you back! Methinks you need a new audience; the 'how' part's a whole 'nother ball of wax. Maybe another of your faithful readers might have an idea or two. It's been so hot (and STEAMY) here - yesterday while we were driving somewhere I commented, "My mind knows better, but this looks like a snow sky." What I wouldn't give to see a blizzard right about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means a lot to know I was missed. When I first started blogging (loooong ago) I had lots of readers and felt free to say anything I wanted. Nowadays it seems that the blog audience has changed drastically. There's too much sensitivity and nitpicking.

      I'm sure that some of my opinions sound "disagreeable", but I've NEVER been a mainstream thinker. That's part of my charm (*smile*). I'm probably viewed by some as being more harsh than I really am.

      This humidity is difficult to get used to - - especially after being in super-dry places like AZ and ^TX.

      Delete
  3. Don't feel bad about having a dwindling number of readers and comments. Mine have fallen dramatically, too. C'est la vie. Try not to take it personally.

    As for that rainbow? Just because you didn't see one doesn't mean there wasn't one there. (You can take that both literally AND figuratively.)

    Take care of yourself, cowboy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that the comments have dwindled due to the fact that I use Comment Moderation - - which I really HATE but I do it to keep the trolls away. I also disabled anonymous comments because it encourages a LOT of spam.

      Anyway, there are more big storms here tonight. I'll look for a rainbow tomorrow...

      Delete
  4. I enjoy reading your blog know matter what you write about just keep writing. We have had a lot of rain here, but for the pass few weeks we have had some hot but nice days. I like the pictures of your cats they're enjoying looking outside. Take care, Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate that, Jean. It's nice to know that you're there.
      It's still raining here tonight as I write this. The power went off once but came back on in only a few minutes.
      I always enjoy photographing the cats....and they don't seem to mind (*smile*)

      Delete
  5. You're right, Jon. Blogger is changing. I too have noticed some diminishing returns --not just correspondents dropping off, but more vitriol, more mindless emotion verbalized against opinions that vary even slightly from each other. It makes me long for the days when I lived in a rougher but more polite and unified society --remember that?-- where guys like Andre Gide could write,"Be true to what exists nowhere but in yourself and thus make yourself indispensable." Like my big sister Minnie closes her letters to me: "Keep writing!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My readership has drastically diminished. I don't easily attract readers - quite possibly because I'm an enigma. I don't fit into any specific category. I'm not liberal enough, not gay enough - sometimes I seem crude and harsh, and other times I'm much too sappy and sentimental.

      Some people don't appreciate poetry or classical music. Or tongue-in-cheek humor. Only a handful of people appreciate my true self-worth (heck, it took me a LONG time to appreciate it myself).
      Possibly I come across as too pompous and self-serving. That's my faux bravado.....

      I try to just be myself...that's all we can do. You certainly can't please everyone.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Geo - - "keep writing"....

      Delete
  6. Good to see your post. I was seriously thinking of giving up blogging mainly because I seem to have lost the art of 'conversation'. I should get out more - I wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, I think I've lost the art of conversation, too - - but when I blog I feel like I'm talking to myself. Don't ever give up!

      The problem for me is that I often bore myself when I talk to myself (*smile*)

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.