Saturday, December 11, 2021

ANOTHER TORNADO WARNING

 


Two tornado warnings in the past week. In December. Go figure.
As if I didn't already have enough problems to contend with - Mother Nature seems to be uprising against me, too. It's been a strange week.

Yesterday (Friday) I forced myself to make the harrowing excursion to town. I desperately needed supplies. It was a dank, dismal, rainy day with mild temperatures. Christmas shoppers were sparse. A sense of lethargy and  indifference seemed to prevail.

I spent too much money and didn't get half of what I need - but that's a usual occurrence. The worst part is driving home and suddenly remembering the things I forgot to buy. There's no chance in hell that I'll be driving a zillion miles back to town any time soon.

The unending joys of rural life. 

Severe weather and high winds were predicted for Friday night.  At least I was safely back at home with lots of groceries.

My oven still doesn't work. I need to order a new baking element (that's what it's called) from Amazon. It should be easy to fix.
Fortunately, the broiler still works. Yesterday I broiled some thick, boneless pork chops and they were delicious.

The winds really picked up late Friday night - furiously sifting through the trees. There was distant thunder, occasional lightning, and restless packs of wild dogs. Frequent visits from the coyotes never bother me - but for some reason, wild dogs unnerve me.

By midnight the temperature was still only 61 degrees (Fahrenheit) which is eerie, especially in December. I went to bed fairly confident that the impending storms would be minimal. 

Sometime around 4:00 a.m. the weather really got nasty. The wind was shrieking and the flimsy house was shaking. Rain poured in torrents and the lightning was brutally bright.

The tornado warning happened around 4:45 a.m. My only source of weather information comes from my computer. You're on your own in this friggin' rural area.


 
I don't generally scare easily, but this storm was horrendous. I just stayed in bed - petrified - watching the lights blink on and off. The wind screamed and the loud, odd noises outside were truly frightening. There was an incredible rushing noise that sounded like the whole forest was being demolished. I kept waiting for the house to be swept away and carried to the Land of OZ.

To make a long story short (which was never my forte) the chaos didn't subside until after dawn. Me and the cats survived and (so far) I've only seen minimal outside damage.

According to weather accounts, the massive tornadic storm swept through four states and traveled over two hundred miles. Damage was extremely extensive and at least fifty people were killed in Kentucky. Entire towns were destroyed.

I'm thankful to have been spared - and my heartfelt sympathy goes out to the thousands of people who were affected by this bizarre monster storm.

 

5 comments:

  1. I am glad that you are safe. We had tornado touchdowns just north west of St. Louis,not far from wheremy daughter lives, and then there was the horrible destruction of an Amazon fulfillment center in Illinois about 25 miles or so away from us across the Mississippi in Edwardsvill, Illinois.

    As that wind blew through our house really chilled and we could smell the super fresh air in our house. Our Fuzzy Pom,could smell all all of that storm air and was all excited about it. He is completely deaf and has bad cataracts now, but he sure could smell that air with all of the scents carried from hundreds of miles away. My husband and I were trying to get lanterns and stuff together, and there was Fuzzy wandering around the house sniffing the air that was being forced into our old loose fitting closed windows. Around here there were two waves of tornado sirens wailing. I was relieved we didn't lose our electric. We lose it so often, it sometimes seems like if somebody in the neighborhood farts too loud the whole neighborhood loses electric.

    It was good to read that you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting us know you're OK! We're watching the radar now -- and of course, footage of all the devastation. Unbelievable. My heart's breaking for all those affected; too, for another blogging friend whose 21 y/o son just passed away from Covid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon,
    I'm listening to Illinois governor Pritzker giving a press conference now on the aftermath of last night's devastating tornadoes that tore through five states in central US last night. I immediately thought of you and your cats. Thank God you're safe! We're all at the whims of Mother Nature. I like on perfectly flat land her in coastal Delaware. They always talk about "The Big One" (hurricane) that we're due. I hope I'm long gone by the time that one lands here on this coastal plain. I am so thankful that you're and your kitties are safe!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness! That sounds bad. 50 people is a lot for a tornado. I never worried much about tornadoes in Michigan, but here in Iowa. We take them a little more seriously. You would Think the mountains would keep you slightly protected from such winds and currents. But weather has a mind of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK GOD you and the cats are okay! I totally agree with Ron in that we ARE all at the whims of Mother Nature!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.