Thursday, September 22, 2022

HOMAGE TO AUTUMN

  




I made this video last autumn and blatant sentimentality has inspired me to post it again.

 Visually and musically, it reflects the absolute essence of my autumnal soul. It is nearly impossible for my (humble) creative efforts to convey my passionate love for autumn, but this video almost comes close. 

It was admittedly difficult to chose sufficient visuals, but there was no doubt about my choice of music. It's the Andante, from the piano concerto no. 2 in F major by Russian composer Dimitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975).

Strangely enough, Shostakovich was never one of my favorite composers -  in fact I generally dislike his music.

The Andante from his second piano concerto, however, is one of my all-time favorite compositions. I think it's one of the most beautiful things ever written.
It captures the very essence of autumn's intoxicating spell - -  melancholy, sentimental, nostalgic, deeply emotional.

The video is quite long - six minutes -  I'm presenting it solely as a moment of introspection, inspiration, and relaxation.

Shostakovich wrote this concerto in 1957 and decicated it to his nineteen-year-old son Maxim. Maxim (who later became a conductor) performed the premier of the concerto at his graduation concert at the Moscow Conservatory.

Welcome to the first day of autumn.    Jon


Video is best viewed full-screen



 Dimitri Shostakovich with his cat


6 comments:

  1. Very possibly my favorite of your compilations, Jon. (Is that the right word?) Images of early-morning fog always 'get' me. This is dessert for the eyes and ears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Myra. I love the morning fog - and it is a frequent occurrence here in TN. Autumn is a feast for the eyes and soul.

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful - both the music and the video!! THANK YOU for making my day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I'm so glad you enjoyed this. Thanks, and welcome to autumn!

      Delete
  3. Such a wonderful welcome to my absolute favorite time of year, Jon. It took longer than I would have liked to arrive, but thankfully cooler days are here in Nashua, NH, and for you in TN as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cool weather ironically arrived on the first day of autumn. It had been 85 degrees and suddenly it dropped to 60. The nights are in the chilly 40s now. I think autumn has decided to stay.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.