Monday, April 20, 2015

FAMILY PHOTO ALBUM



 If I ever knew how much trouble Texas was going to cause me in later life, I would have hanged myself around the time this photo was taken. I was about one and a half years old. I seriously doubt if that Paducah monument is still in existence.


I'm not in the mood to write much today - - and you're probably not in the mood to read. The logical solution to this perplexing dilemma is for me to post photos.

If you were familiar with my old blog, Lone Star Concerto, you've definitely seen all these photos before. That's not stopping me from posting them again. Heck, the entire world is one big rerun.


 My Great Aunt Mary (my maternal grandmother's sister), who was known as Tucumcari Mary. She had a ranch near Tucumcari, New Mexico and was quite a flamboyant character. She was handy with a rifle and could shoot the heads off rattlesnakes from an impressive distance.


My Great Uncle George (my maternal grandmother's youngest brother). He had a ranch near Clovis, New Mexico. I visited him numerous times when he was old. He was one of the kindest people I ever knew.



My mother Marie, in Red River, New Mexico, before she was married. Mom was from New Jersey, but she used to spend her summers with relatives who owned a resort in Red River.


On a visit to Red River when I was six. I'm sharing a horse with a family friend named Patty Cane (I think she was about nine). Shortly after this photo was taken, the horse went berserk and bounded down a very steep mountain cliff. Never one for chivalry, I leaped off the horse and left Patty to fend for herself. Several men had to climb down with ropes to rescue us.

Tragically, a few months after this incident, Patty's mother was robbed and brutally murdered in Los Angeles. The killer was never caught.


My father, John, long before he was married. My guess is that the car belonged to Dad's eldest brother Jim.



My father (right) in Oran, Algeria, 1943. 



I vividly remember the day this photo was  taken - - in downtown New Brunswick, New Jersey. I think it was the first (and last) time I ever wore shorts in public (and the only time I ever looked good in them).



Me, age six, on the movie set where the western classic Fort Apache was filmed. It was located in the Santa Susana Mountains in the Simi Valley, California. I think at the time I was there they were filming the Rin Tin Tin TV series. 
The entire movie set was destroyed by fire in the 1970's.



My Mom, by the old '62 Ford Falcon. That's the car that I eventually learned to drive on - many years later.


 My Mother, by our piano (which I still have). She was a brilliant pianist and was my first piano teacher.



My Mom, wearing an original dress from the Miss Universe Pageant.
My cousin Patti was Miss Arizona (I won't mention what year) and was also a contestant in the Miss Universe Competition. She later gave my mother some clothes from her Miss Universe wardrobe. The dresses fit Mom perfectly.





Graduation Day. I was sixteen-years-old. Contrary to persistent rumors, Abraham Lincoln did not give the commencement speech. (that robe was burgundy - - the school colors were burgundy and gold)


Mom, photo taken around the time that I graduated. 
So, what year was that, Jon?
Hey - - don't ask, don't tell.
 


 Calico Ghost Town, near Barstow, California.
I was probably about seven.
Always tried to keep my act clean......







3 comments:

  1. Don't mind seeing your photos a second time and I'll say it again your Mom was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon,
    You have some really cool old photos. You have more of you as a little boy than I do. Even though I was the oldest, the novelty of taking photos of me as a little boy quickly wore off. I'm glad you didn't lost these photos. They are priceless.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing these photos again. Great-aunt Mary looks like someone you wouldn't want to cross! Truly, your mom looks so (capital letter) Classy in every picture.

    I had to laugh out loud at your abandoning ship (er, horse).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.