Wednesday, March 8, 2017

NOTHING MUCH, AND VICTORIA

Every time I reread a post that I write on this blog I'm completely dissatisfied. They're all crap. That's my self-critical alter ego speaking.

I do, however, truly appreciate your comments (even when I'm too lazy to respond to them, as in the previous post).
I've never appreciated the insults and (occasional) death threats - of course - but I think most of the bitter trolls have been successfully weeded out.
At least for the moment.

Lately I've been in a miserable mood - plagued with devastating aural migraines. I had several of them yesterday. I blame it on stress, lack of sleep, poor eating habits, eye strain, and the extreme changes in the weather. One day it's 70 degrees, the next day it's 35. With rain, rain, rain....
Did I mention stress?

Jenna Coleman as Victoria

Well, the first season of Victoria is finally over...and I'm not particularly looking forward to a second season.
I'm talking about Queen Victoria, the Victoria series on Masterpiece, PBS.

The costumes and settings are satisfying. The cast is doing their very best with the mediocre scripts they have to work with. But the potency of the series has dwindled with every new episode, and my interest is gone. Besides, I can't  get very enthused about a flimsy semi-biographical story that is strongly rooted in fiction.

Victoria is a combination of Upstairs, Downstairs and a Harlequin romance - - and the overly-glamorized queen often comes across as Kate Middleton in Victorian garb.

I realize that liberties have to be taken to enhance the plodding story line, but the deviations in this saga border on the ridiculous. It's great if you're merely looking for costume-drama entertainment.
If you want to know the real story of Queen Victoria, however, read a legitimate biography (such as the one by Stanley Weintraub) - not the fictional fantasy fluff devised by Daisy Goodwin (who created and wrote this series).

I suppose all good stories need subplots to hold interest, but the wacky antics and romantic shenanigans of the downstairs servants are grossly overdone - to the annoying point that it often overshadows the Queen and Albert.


 Queen Victoria and actress Jenna Coleman



Prince Albert and actor Tom Hughes


As for Queen Victoria (Jenna Coleman) and Prince Albert (Tom Hughes), both actors are very good in their roles - even though the characters they portray are a far cry from the real British monarch and her German consort.

I can overlook the fact that the cutsie German Prince Albert has a decidedly British accent. And that Queen Victoria is far less bitchy and demanding than the real woman was. 
Sometimes I grow weary of Albert's bumbling ineptness.....and the endless closeups of lovely Victoria's moon-like face.

But now I'm nitpicking and being bitchy. Politely overlook it if you can. Being bitchy is part of my charm.


My other blog (as if one wasn't enough...)
Cabinet of Curious Treasures 

25 comments:

  1. I watched Victoria and would rate it a 6 7 out of ten. I think they were trying very hard to replace Downton Abbey with a period piece. While I enjoyed it, I agree with your assessment. But Tom Hughes had me purrrrrrring. I'll watch a second season IF nothing else grabs my attention. The show that in currently enjoying is Bates Motel. Its on it final season. That show surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - they are trying hard to have another hit like Downton Abbey, but this one doesn't quite make the mark. I'm wondering if different actors will be used for season 2, with an aging Victoria. Coleman and Hughes are so young (well, actually, both of them are 30).
      Yup, Tom Hughes is easy to look at....

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your blog because I never know what the topic will be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite honestly, I seldom know what the topic will be, either....

      Delete
  3. I missed this one. I only have internet and antenna doesn't even work here. Been having internet issues and PBS online (as well as other broadcast TV channels online) only allows you to see the episodes for free for a limited period of time and then they remove them. So once I had missed the first? second? one I have to wait and catch it on Netflix down the road. Doesn't sound like I missed too much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I no longer have a TV, I always watch on the PBS website - but, as you said - they only leave the episodes on for a limited time.

      Delete
    2. I heard that on the DVD version, some of the original scenes are omitted - such as the scene where Prince Albert goes to a brothel (before his marriage). If I remember correctly, he didn't have sex, but rather questioned the prostitute about what exactly he should do on his upcoming wedding night!

      Delete
    3. Normally I can manage to get back to the shows I want to keep up with, but been hard this year so far with Karma and the eyes and then add internet connection issues when I do try to watch. *sigh*
      Only asked questions?! Well, I suppose a prince would be absolutely terrified of even the possibility of an illegitimate child with a prostitute.

      Delete
  4. I have not watched that series. I do like that period in English history. Stay warm and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to stay warm and dry here in the boonies, but I'll sure try.

      Delete
  5. Then again, (I suspect) Hollywood feeds on cheap sensationalism, hoping no-one discovers they've taken liberties with the truth. (Not unlike Washington DC, eh?)

    At least you've 70-degree highs. We're hovering around 90, and I'm contemplating slitting my wrists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Near 90 already?? Believe it or not, snow is predicted here by late Saturday afternoon - - even though today was 65.

      Delete
  6. Excellent critique of PBS series, Jon. As for migraines (between rainstorms is when I get them), all I can recommend is aspirin, espresso and bed --also compresses. Time to be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seldom kind to myself - - which is a large part of the problem....
      I was probably a little too harsh regarding Victoria, but somehow a highly-fictionalized romance-style account irks me.

      Delete
  7. I totally missed this one on PBS. Thank you for the insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still catch most of the episodes on the PBS website, but I'm sure they won't be available for long.

      Delete
  8. I have never heard of aural hallucinations but they don't sound nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a migraine headache accompanied by radical visual disturbances - where you see flashing lights, zigzag lines, and often temporarily lose part of your vision. VERY scary, but it usually doesn't last long. It's often hereditary. My mother used to get them.

      Delete
  9. I'm spoiled by Downton Abbey. Victoria was underwhelming at best. I just never got in to it.
    There is no problem with your blog entries here. They come in loud and clear from the provinces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we were all spoiled by Downton Abbey. "Underwhelming" is the best word to describe Victoria. Somehow it leaves me cold (except for watching Albert....)

      Delete
  10. What's an aural migraine? I have optical migraines from time to time, which can be very disconcerting, but not too terribly painful.

    I hope your mood is better now, cowboy. It'll be spring before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that an aura migraine is just about the same as an optical one. My mother had them and I have no doubt that it's hereditary.

      Delete
  11. Jon,
    I do like a good historical drama, especially an English one. However, so many of them take too many liberties with the facts for dramatic effect. Ironically, stating the real facts are often more interesting. Thanks for the review on "Victoria". I probably will take a pass on this series.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't have been so harsh on Victoria, but they did take an enormous amount of historical liberties - and turned it into a campy romance.

      Delete
  12. Jon,

    We were out of power for several days due to the last snowstorm (Trying to put the adventure into a post ). Once more I am trying to catch up on your posts. PBS' English Dramas are not my spot of tea, old boy, but this making films and changing facts for fiction is a pet peeve. I understand some needs to take literary license, such as combining some mini characters into one, but I hate how they think rel life can't hold interest and must be punched up with a lot of fuss 'n' feathers that never happened. Funny, looking at the photos it appears the actress playing Victoria is somewhat better looking than the real queen, but the real prince was better looking than the actor playing him.


    Larry

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.