Monday, September 4, 2017

LABOR DAY

Labor Day?
Did I do any labor today? Naw, not much.

Am I in labor? Nope, although sometimes I wonder....

Nobody is laughing, Jon. You're not funny.

Labor Day (for those of you in the West Indies) is an American holiday, commemorating the labor movement. Whatever that is. Most uninformed Americans (like myself) simply consider Labor Day as the unofficial end of summer.

Labor Day always reminds me of one of my all-time favorite movies, A Place in the Sun (1951).
In the film, on the Labor Day holiday, Montgomery Clift murders his pregnant girlfriend Shelley Winters so that he can marry Elizabeth Taylor.

 A Place in the Sun (1951)

Hell, I'd murder Shelley Winters in order to marry Liz Taylor, too. 
In fact, I'd murder Shelley Winters to marry Montgomery Clift, but that's another story entirely....

The film is based on the novel An American Tragedy by Theodore Drieser -which is based on a real murder that happened in 1906 when a guy named Chester Gillette murdered his pregnant girlfriend Grace Brown.

Sorry, my surplus of worthless trivia has overflowed and gone rampant....

Did I ever mention that I met Shelley Winters? 

Yea, hundreds of times, Jon.

It was at the L.A. Music Center when I was 19.  She was humorous and witty. A genuinely nice and down-to-earth lady.

It's September already, and the month began with a delightful cool spell. It was in the 40's a few nights ago. I closed my bedroom window and got out some cozy blankets.

Today is sunny and glorious.

I was going to open my online store today, but I'm stalling in order to organize the products - which isn't as easy as it sounds. I have ten categories - including Art Nouveau, Egyptian, Movie Collectables, Gypsy, etc. - - and now I decided to throw in some stuff for Halloween.

It will open soon...soon.....

Lately I've been extremely lazy and lethargic - kinda like treading through quicksand...or moving SloMo under water.

I was going to post some more photos, but I didn't want to be boring.

Don't give us that "modesty" crap, Jon. You're never boring.

14 comments:

  1. Jon, you're never boring. I know that Labor Day was created during the Cleveland Administration to help mollify the massacres of striking workers by Pinkertons and military --a bad time for Unions, and one we ought not forget. But show business people work hard too and the news that Montgomery Clift murdered Shelley Winters in 1951 leaves me in awe of her ability to work for many years afterward. Ok, I'm getting silly too. Have a great day, Jon, and enjoy the pleasant weather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked briefly for Pinkertons during my early stint as a security officer. It was slightly after the Cleveland Administration.
      Shelley Winters was actually a fearless and tough woman. I think she could have pulverized Monty Clift.....

      Delete
  2. Your cool spell sounds wonderful. We're supposed to have one about Thursday but I wouldn't bet on it. I always liked Shelly Winters and Liz Taylor too. I never knew Shelly's name had an E in it but I guess you would know more then I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't positive about the spelling of Shelley's name - I had to look it up to be sure. I really like the cool weather!!

      Delete
  3. never saw the movie. will have to check it out. my husband loves montgomery clift too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to see this movie - - it's a real classic!!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hey, Donna - I'll take all the compliments I can get...(Gawd knows, I need them...)

      Delete
  5. Jon,

    An American Tragedy, read te book, never saw the movie. Did Shelley Winters always get murdered? Got her throat slit in Night of the Hunter. That was watery, too. One of my favorite movies. Only one Charles Laughton directed. Wonder why?

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read the book, but I'd like to. In the movie, they made Shelley Winters as unattractive and unappealing as possible. She was supposedly horrified when she saw herself on the screen.

      I only saw Night of the Hunter once, long ago, but I remember how evil Robert Mitchum was!

      Delete
  6. Ah yes! A Place In The Sun. Dark and atmospheric--kind of funny with sun in the title. It was hot (90s) and now is chilly at night again and cooler during the day. Back and forth. It's basically fall, though--LOL!

    Shelly Winters never struck me as being artificial like many of the actors can be. Nice to know from someone who met her. :)

    Good luck with your store! Take your time and get it how you want it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley Winters was extremely down to earth - I think that's why her roles were always so believable.
      It's only been in the 70's here but there were lots of thunderstorms today. I'm really looking forward to autumn (but I wish we could eliminate the cold winter).

      Delete
  7. I've so envious of your cool temps! They say it's supposed to be 107 today, but I'm reluctant to step outside.

    Were he not deceased, I'D have loved to marry Mr. Clift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suppose the only advantage to marrying a dead person is they don't talk back.
    I lived in hot climates most of my life and it's truly a PLEASURE to finally be in a place where the summers are mild and it actually cools down after August.
    So what if it rains every day and I have 35 foot weeds and strange animals living in my roof.....(*smile*).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.