Monday, September 23, 2019

AUTUMN



The first day of autumn: threshold of my favorite time of year.

I figured the above photo was rather appropriate. I took it in my back "yard" a few years ago. It was an early sun-streaked morning and the web was glazed in frost. A delicate, almost surrealistic, work of art.

A momentous occasion today! Despite the fact that I'm still semi-incapacitated with my painful knee and hip - - I actually managed to drive to town to get desperately-needed supplies. I haven't been to town since August.

I was so worried about an impending disaster with my injured leg that I plied myself with aspirin and beer before embarking on the perilous journey.

I discovered that NOTHING irritates my painful hip more than sitting in that damn Toyota. It's like a torture chamber for my long legs and it's absolute agony for me to get in or out.

I went to Walmart and the supermarket - and in both places I parked far from the other cars just in case my leg "froze up" (like it did last week). I didn't want anyone seeing me crawling on the ground.

Fortunately there were no mishaps - - despite the fact that I was navigating like a bad imitation of Quasimodo.

The very worst part was the long drive home - when the pain in my hip became excruciating.

And - wouldn't you know - it started to rain. When I turned on the wipers, the windshield was so dirty that it became completely streaked in mud and I  couldn't see a thing.

I'm on  narrow, two-way, winding mountain road with no place to pull over.

I finally came to a house and managed to pull in front of it. It took me a helluva long time to crawl out of the car and clean the windshield. If anyone was home in the house, I'm sure I provided ample entertainment.


When I finally got home, my shouts of joy and sighs of relief were so loud that they were probably heard in Kentucky.

So - in essence - the first day of autumn was a good day for me. I won't ruin it by saying that my leg was ravaged by today's excursion, my knee is still swollen, and I'll be spending more time resting in bed.

I won't mention that I still have a myriad (yes, myriad) of other unresolved problems, unrelated to my ailing leg.

But heck - it's autumn! I'm on the verge of being nearly content and almost semi-optimistic.


12 comments:

  1. Such good news! I also welcome autumn with open arms, and I'm glad you were somehow able to make it to town: I also managed to make it to the store (walking), so I'm good to go for a few more days. I've never owned a car, so I've always tried to live in an area where the nearest store is a mere 6-8 block walk. I would be totally lost in the country! That's why I am so proud of you :-)

    P.S. I miss Helga big time, but I figured her mysterious vanishing had something to do with Google? The internet is a very odd place...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to walk to the store, Dylan. I hate driving - and owning a vehicle is nothing but trouble. I certainly needed wheels when I lived in Southern Calif. and unfortunately I still need them here in the wilderness.

      The only disadvantage with walking is that you probably can't carry very many groceries (unless you have some type of a shopping cart). I wish we could have out groceries delivered, but that's not always an easy possibility.

      I miss hearing from Helga, too, but I'm sure she's thinking about us.

      Delete
  2. Baby steps, my friend. I'm rooting for you!
    BTW, would you consider getting a handicap parking sticker for the Toyota? More people would see you, yes. But more people might be apt to lend you a hand. Jus' saying ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could definitely use a handicap parking sticker, but it would embarrass me - and probably annoy others. For right now I'll keep my handicaps under wrap.....until I'm crawling in the Walmart parking lot.

      Delete
  3. I would bet that two of your motivations have four legs. ;)
    Wow! I hope you got enough supplies to last you a month!! You'd better get totally stocked up as much as possible before winter. Maybe have your cousin help? And you still need to get into a clinic, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, you are definitely right. Cat food and litter were on my list...
      I have enough food to last a month - - but I'm planning to go to town again in about two weeks. Stocking up for winter is a great idea.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear you've made some progress, but you still need to see a doctor asap. There's no need for you to be in so much pain. Hang in there, cowboy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realize that I should see a doctor - - but for some crazy reason I prefer to suffer until it heals or I die. My condition has improved, but I re-injured my leg several times - and I'm sure my excursion to town didn't exactly help it. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A painful adventure bravely endured and well-recounted, Jon. Your cobweb photo is magnificent --the spectral light reminds me of some of Norma's best efforts. Keep doing your best to stay mobile, Jon. I too have had some problems coping with physical duties lately. But if I was nine feet tall and massively muscled like a couple of Norma's aunts, I'd visit you myself and carry you places. All my best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right about staying mobile, Geo - I actually feel a little better since my excursion to town. And I got a big (and welcomed) laugh at your description of Norma's aunts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m not sure whether to cheer or groan after reading about your excursion, especially reading about the windshield issue. But, it’s good to know that you and your furry companions have supplies and it must have been quite another ordeal to get everything into your home as well. As Geo said staying mobile is good but painful in your case and it’s unfortunate that nothing is within walking distance. Great spider web capture, something I’ve never mastered. Autumn is my favorite season but it seems summer wants to hang around Nashua, NH as it’s been in the mid 80s a few days recently and I orefer fleece jacket weather now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a major (and painful) challenge driving to town but I'm glad I did it. I plan to go again in about two weeks. I feel somewhat better than I did - at least I can walk (or hobble).

      Summer is lingering here in TN, too. It was near 90 a few days ago and about 83 today.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.