Wednesday, March 18, 2020

COACHES, MASCULINITY, AIDING AND ABETTING



 My old high school in California
looking exactly as I remember it


Got an email the other day from my dear friend Linda in California, whom I've known since we were kids. She sent me an article about Coach Wilkerson, who was one of the P.E. (physical education) coaches when we were in high school.

Was he one of your coaches? she wanted to know.

I remembered Wilkerson. Incredibly, however, I couldn't recall if he was ever one of my coaches. I hated P.E. so thoroughly that I did my best to expunge the details from my memory. I might have been in Wilkerson's P.E. class during my sophomore year - but it's all a myopic blur (vanity prevented me from wearing my glasses).

I know for certain that Jim Beales was my P.E. coach during my junior year. And then I had Richard Holden as a senior. Both of them were unnervingly memorable, for totally different reasons.

Coach Beales was a rough, gruff, macho-type man's man (ironic phrasing, huh?).  He was also a staunch homophobe. He persistently lectured us boys about the evils of homosexuality and the disgrace and destruction that would be instantly hurled upon us if homoerotic thoughts ever dared to cross our minds.

Let me interject by saying that  when I was in high school I was not only the biggest nerd in the entire school district, I was as pure and unblemished as the Hope Diamond. I didn't  remotely know a thing about  heterosexuality - let alone homosexuality.  I was a combination of Mother Theresa and Pope Innocent.

Ironically, only a few years later I was a slutty  ruffian on the streets of Hollywood - - doing sexual things that would have sent Coach Beales into unrelenting realms of shock. But that's beside the point.

Coach Beales would gather us boys together and tell harrowing tales about all the absolutely miserable and desperately unhappy homosexuals he had known. Only he called them Queers, fags, and fairies.
I recall one particularly nerve-shattering story about a guy, or a gay, that Beales knew in the Army.

"That queer was the most unhappy person I've ever known," Beales told us. "He lived in constant fear that his perversion would be discovered and he was miserable with remorse. One night he took a rope, sneaked outside after everyone was asleep, and......

.....hanged himself!!" 
 Beales eyes flashed gleefully as he said this - - and he looked directly at me.

Holy Crap! It was as if he was peering into the depths of my soul and seeing visions of what was to come.

Years later - when I had a much better perspective of reality - I wondered why the hell Coach Beales had known so many homosexuals. Was it mere coincidence, or - - - was he a raging closet queen?

Coach Richard Holden, in my senior year, wasn't a genuine coach at all. He was a math teacher who had unwittingly been given the task of being a P.E. coach during a lean time when there was an understaffed faculty.

Holden hated P.E. class as much as I did and he had sympathy for my plight. He would occasionally allow me to do work in his office instead of forcing me to "suit up" and play football or baseball outside.

In retrospect, I have no doubt that Holden also recruited me as his chosen one because I was the most naive and innocent kid in P.E. class. And in town. And probably in the entire state of California.

He began sending me on secret missions to retrieve things from his car in the parking lot.  No one was allowed in the school parking lot while class was in session - so I was engaging in risky business. 

The "items" that Holden wanted were most often large bottles of soft drinks that were  stashed under the seat of the car.
After completing several of these perplexing excursions, curiosity got the better of me. I might have been innocent but I was no fool. I unscrewed the cap on one of the bottles and took a whiff. 

Zonk!!
Whiskey! Nearly straight whiskey, diluted with a little soda. I took a swig. Nice! Warm, but nice.

Now I knew why Holden so desperately wanted those bottles from the car - - and why he was so admirably able to tolerate his unwanted stint as a gym coach.

A few months later, Holden showed up rip-roaring drunk for his math class. I'd heard from first-hand sources that he keeled over right onto the floor.
Holden was subsequently dismissed and I never saw him or his bottles of booze again.

  Years later, in the light of semi-maturity, I wondered whatever became of Coach Holden. And I had more than a few misgivings about aiding and abetting an alcoholic.



Note - I'm still having enormous pain in my right shoulder, which is why I haven't been responding to your comments. It's agony to type




10 comments:

  1. interesting tales. high school and colleges coaches have unbridled influence on young people with lasting affects. it's a wonder we survived them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had one alcoholic teacher in jr high that I remember. She taught speed reading, of all things, that we had to take for one grading period. I don't remember a damn thing about the class, except her bizarre behavior.

    I can't even imagine a teacher talking about homosexuality (and certainly not in a derogatory fashion) back then. We got the std talk in Health class, but that was the extent of human sexuality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated P.E. also; I was a nerdy book lover who grew up in a family of three athletic brothers and an athletic dad. I had my niche and was well-respected, but getting a grade for shooting baskets was irritating. It ruined my GPA! That first coach protested too much; whether it's in politics or sports, the ones who are vehemently anti-gay seem to be trying to hide in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Coach Beales was gay. We had a similar coach the b=very machoistic, barn yard rooster, acted powerful and like an ass most times. Years after I was through high school it came out he'd been seeing a under age guy, a student, for sex for years. When it came out the other guy was then legal age by then, they had started dating when I was still there. What a shock to hear that. And the young guy was one of the jocks. And the school I went to was forward thinking and with the times...so being gay was not a huge thing to care about. I was out in high school with no issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What characters! I've never been a 'closet' anything, but from what you've said it sounds like Coach Beales doth protest too much. Poor Coach Holden sounds like a desperately unhappy soul; pity he couldn't have been afforded rehab v. termination.

    My own high school P.E. classes were some of the most loathsome times in my life. Hopelessly uncoordinated, I still remember being on the receiving end of our teacher's scorn; my classmates barely disguised ridicule.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly do have good memories of your high school PE teachers, Jon, but I was curious as to what your friend, Linda, said about Coach Wilkerson that had you recalling Coaches Beales and Holden. I attended parochial grammar school and high school and there was no PE classes in the lower grades and in the coed high school, I had "gym" classes which was all female, led by an elderly instructor (Miss Halloran) and we more or less played games in the gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda always keeps me updated with news about people we knew in high school. Coach Wilkerson still lives in that area and there was a short article in the paper about his recent heart surgery.

      Delete
  7. Interesting tales, cowboy. (No surprise there. All your stories are interesting.)

    Yep, I'd say Coach Beale was definitely a closet queen. One of my high school P.E. teachers was a lesbian, but I was too naive at the time to understand... even though one of my gal pals had a humongous crush on her and spent an inordinate amount of time with her after hours. (Silly me thought it was a one-sided thing.)

    I was an academic nerd, so I resented the "waste" of time taking the required P.E. classes three times a week. I especially hated the communal showers. But once we got into playing our various sports, I enjoyed myself. Not that I was all that athletically inclined. The only A I ever got in gym was when we had a written test about archery. Give me something to read and test me on it, and I'd do just dandy, but don't grade me on how many 3-pointers I can make in a basketball game. :)

    I love your poem about spring. More upbeat and encouraging than usual. I hope your arm gets to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite teacher in high school became my life-long friend. Willie still phones me from Sonoma and corrects my grammar. We met 55 years ago and still call each other. Some people are just lovably valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had one very tough, stocky gym teacher who made us stand naked in front of her, one by one, and turn around--with no towel--to prove we had taken a shower. I heard some of the girls having suspicions about her inclinations...had never occured to me until then. I was also quite innocent and naive...up until senior year. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.