Friday, August 5, 2022

WAY OUT WEST


For some inexplicable reason, I was completely obsessed with the old west when I was a child. I thought it would be fantastic to have lived in an adventurous time when there were cowboys, Indians, outlaws, and courageous pioneers heading west in covered wagons. 

My parents moved from New Jersey to California when I was six, and the radical change in scenery and culture permanently inspired me. The west provided limitless opportunities to visit museums, ghost towns, and historical sites. I even had the rare opportunity to visit several movie sets where westerns were being filmed. 
It was a childhood fantasy.

It wasn't until I was about twelve when I began reading books about the old west. I was also completely obsessed with True West magazine, which did have a wealth of historical articles about the genuine old west.

My childhood fantasies about the old west soon evaporated when I discovered that the real west wasn't anything like all those fictional TV shows I loved to watch (Maverick, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train)

So, do I still have an interest in the old west?
Definitely. But now I'd prefer to be home with my computer - - rather than heading west in a covered wagon with the Donner Party.

Here come the photos -


Paducha, Texas - when I was three years old on our trip out west. Paducha was a tiny town then and it still is. I'm wondering if that sign is still in existence. I looked on the Internet but found no mention of it.



Age three with my mom in an Arizona teepee.



Don't know my age here, but my guess would be six or, more likely, seven. This pic was taken in front of an Arizona clothing store - probably in Flagstaff.



My father and I on a tree stump, somewhere near Flagstaff. Faded and blurry photo. Sorry about that.


Trying out a bathtub in Calico ghost town (California). Calico was truly isolated back then. Recently it's become a gaudy tourist trap.


A bird's eye view of Calico back then. Located in the Calico Mountains of the Mojave Desert.


Western attire - - and holding a Dennis the Menace hand puppet.
I was seven years old, and one of my front teeth was missing.
Strange.  Very strange.

I am nearly rendered speechless about this photo. Yes, that's me. I'll spare you the details.

I have no clue what my age was, but my guess would be about fourteen. I was pathetically skinny. My hair was short and plastered down.

At that time, there were stringent rules in school concerning boy's hair. It had to be cut very short. And if it was "long" enough to touch the top of your ears, you'd be kicked out of school.  I'm not kidding.

Well, have you had enough of my cowboy photos? I have plenty more, but I'll spare you.

HI HO SILVER!

                                      Jon




8 comments:

  1. While I didn't share your obsession for the wild west, Jon, I am enjoying your memory lane trips nevertheless. You were in full western regalia outside that Arizona clothing store, right down to the boots and necktie.

    Along with my family, we watched all the vintage western shows and my brother even had a cap gun and holster set that he practiced quick draws with in the back yard without any injuries, unlike these days when young children have had real guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have an interest in the old west, but my unbridled enthusiasm has waned slightly over the years. I vividly remember the Indian at the entrance of the clothing store, but for some strange reason my memory of the outfit I was wearing is vague. I had several cap guns and holsters as a child - - cap guns were popular then.
      Yes, the innocence is gone. Real guns are rampant nowadays, cap guns are a thing of the past.

      Delete
  2. Cool pictures, Jon. I had a fascination with American Indians starting when we took a trip to Cherokee, NC. We saw the outdoor drama "Unto These HIlls' which really was impressive to a kid. I collected Indian artifacts, mostly from those beloved gift shops. I'd say the "artifacts" were more like 'trinkets'. You're so lucky to have your pics from your childhood. Mine are long gone with many moves over the years. Your Dennis the Mennis puppet was neat. I really liked that show when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing.
    Your posts so often bring back memories of my own childhood that had been long forgotten. Your posts brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was something so intriguing about Indians and cowboys when we were kids. Things like the outdoor drama that you saw were inspiring and unforgettable. It's a shame that your childhood photos were lost. A lot of my old photos were lost during some of my moves, too. When I came to Tennessee the movers "lost" ALL of my diaries and journals. my entire record collection, and all of my mother's piano music. I never got over it.
      I was hesitant to post these photos, but glad you enjoyed seeing them. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. When I was 7(ish) my dream was to be a cowgirl someday. Love that last picture so much -- but what I found most endearing is that image of you with the Dennis puppet. (I don't remember seeing that before.) I tried never to miss that show! While I never met Jay North, my parents did get a picture of me and his little friend (Timmy?, Tommy?) sitting on the curb outside my cousins' house. I've no idea whatever happened to that picture, but I thought it was the greatest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The intrigue of cowboys (and cowgirls) was really a inspiring part of our youth. It's a shame that your childhood photo with Tommy has disappeared. I think it was Tommy Anderson, portrayed by child actor Billy Booth. I was a big fan of the Dennis the Menace comic books even more than the TV series.

      I'm glad you liked the last photo on this post. I was hesitant to post it because I thought I looked stupid...dumb....weird....?? My derogatory opinion of myself has never quite subsided.......

      Delete
  4. Wish I had a photo to share of me in my cowboy outfit, and no I didn't want a cowgirl one. The white guns with what I reckon were real rubies in their handles, were the business. We used to go out every evening and play Wild West games. I must have been 7. I didn't get to Arizona till I was older. I went to Jerome, which now apparently has a population of 450 but I think had many fewer people then, certainly I didn't see many. Ah memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents visited Arizona quite often, because we had relatives there. We traveled to many parts of the state, but I don't ever recall seeing Jerome.
    I think most of us kids were intrigued with cowboys and the wild west at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.