Tuesday, February 11, 2020

GRIM REALITY

 
Fair Warning:
I'm in a rotten mood. In fact, my mood is beyond rotten. If you're looking for uplifting inspiration and unmitigated joy, you're in the wrong place. 
My blog reeks with the stench of grim reality. 

I'm not sure what unmitigated means, but it sounds impressive. 

I've been low on supplies for weeks but never (yet) made it to town. There were torrential rains all last week, which finally froze and turned to snow on Friday.
I'm not about to make the perilous trek to town on slick or icy roads.

Mother Nature's warm and assuaging breath melted the snow quickly, but the relentless rain returned yesterday, making it impossible to do anything.

When I heard that the rain might temporarily stop on Tuesday (that's today) I gleefully and frantically made plans to drive to town.
Dry days are so rare in Tennessee, that any possibility of encountering one should be seized immediately and utilized wisely.

With no raindrops in immediate sight, I started out early this morning. 
My car actually started for a rare change.
First I drove to my mailbox - which is about two zillion miles from the house. Since the latch on the box is broken, all my mail was a soggy, pasty mess.

I decided to drive back to the house - so I could hang up my mail to dry (am I being funny?) and clean the filthy windows on the car.

Halfway up the hill to the mansion, I got stuck in the mud. That's nothing new. I get stuck in the mud every time it rains.

But I wasn't just stuck.
This time I was Super Glue stuck. When I crawled out of the car I sunk in mud up to my knees.

I should mention that my left knee (still) hurts so badly that I can't bend my leg - which makes maneuvering in four-foot-deep mud rather difficult.

I'll also mention that I was wearing my best pair of jeans and an extremely nice winter coat.
I fell in the mud at least half a dozen times (no lie). Within ten slippery minutes I looked like the Tar Baby in Uncle Remus.

I'm going to be merciful and spare you all the agonizing details, but I will say that it took two hours to extract the car from the mud - - during which time I said things so vile that it would make Satan blush.

Eventually I had to trek up the hill through the mud to the garage, where I got cardboard to wedge under the car tires.

I was so friggin' disgusted after the two-hour ordeal that I went inside, ripped off my mud-covered clothes, and collapsed into bed.

I am COMPLETELY out of supplies. Fortunately I found an extra bag of cat food - but it's a brand that they hate.

Why don't you have groceries delivered to your house, Jon? It would be easier.

Hey, Kemosabe, I don't live in Fairyland. I live in the outer realms of Hell. I doubt if anyone could find my address. And if they did, the delivery truck would probably be permanently lost in five-foot-deep mud and fifteen-foot-high weeds.

I'm going to valiantly try again tomorrow (Wednesday) - even though MORE rain is predicted.



Unrelated note:
I thought my previous blog post about the Oscars was fairly interesting but only about three courageous and gracious people read it. So I removed it. It probably wasn't as intriguing as I initially thought. Perhaps I'll post it again. Heck, who knows?

I'm in such a rotten mood that I don't give a rat's ass what's on my blog.

14 comments:

  1. I read your Oscar post, but feel differently about the show, so I didn't comment. Would you have welcomed a dissenting voice? :) Although it's not funny, what a comedy of errors! I'm so sorry for the mess, and the hassle! I hate mud, and getting stuck and I can't even imagine how frustrated you were. I hope you have something you can eat, and that the kitties will reluctantly eat the despised cat food. Good luck on your supply trip tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I wrote that Oscar post several years ago. I noticed that this year they changed the old format and made the show more interesting.

      I finally went to town today and got supplies, but I had more HORRIBLE adventures that I'll write about in my next post.

      Delete
    2. I'm so relieved you got your stuff. I only "know" you through the blog, but I admit that I've been concerned. Horrible adventures can make for some great blog posts, but enough is enough!!

      Delete
  2. "I looked like the Tar Baby in Uncle Remus." -- ROFLMAO, Jon! I've no doubt yours was an agonizing experience, but there's nothing wrong with your comedic style. This rain is the worst! Driving home from B'ham this afternoon was one of my most memorable white-knuckle flights.
    BTW, your Oscars post is one of my favorites -- so much so, while I didn't comment (at hospital with Tom), I did share it on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the Tar Baby analogy was funny, too. I try to maintain my sense of humor - but it ain't easy. I FINALLY went to town today, but wait until you hear about all of my new disasters!!! Stayed tuned for my next post....

      My Oscar post is one of my favorites.

      Delete
  3. I feel sorry for you, Jon, but at the same time I love your sense of humour. On the worst good or bad days you find things to laugh at, or rather make your readers smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, I'm always delighted when I make my readers smile. I have a LOT of troubles and complaints, but having a sense of humor keeps me from going crazy.

      Delete
  4. When I was a kid we lived on a dirt road, not even any gravel. Our house was on a small hill, so when it rained we usually got stuck. I learned a lot of curse words from Dad as he shoveled mud. They finally paved the road the year after I married and left home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house is on a hill, too, and there's no paved road at all. When I first moved here (five years ago) there was some gravel but it all washed away.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jon, I am laughing so hard, this is very well written and I can picture the dripping mail, the car incident and you making Satan blush! I am not laughing at your misfortunes because really you are making Job look like he had a life of ease. I am laughing because you have such a way with words. My all time favorite was the time you wrote “hold on to your wigs and dentures”!
    There was a post that I was looking for so that I could comment but maybe you removed it, it was the one where you were lamenting your age/birthday.
    I sure hope you were able to navigate your way to Wally World!
    ♥️♥️♥️♥️Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Susan, you've made my day. I'm glad you enjoyed my humor. These things never seem humorous to me when they're happening - but afterwards they often seem hilarious.
      I initially didn't think "wigs and dentures" was particularly funny, but I couldn't come up with anything else.

      My birthday post is entitled "Unlucky" and I think I posted it on December 12th - the day before my birthday.

      Delete
  6. Aha, I knew that I wasn’t just dreaming and that there was an Oscar post before this one😕 Yes I read it and left a comment, but it didn’t go through and no new comments are allowed, drat. But then I found this post and while it’s not at all nice to smile at such a disastrous series of events, especially needing supplies, you DO have a way of making me ( and others apparently) do that. Wallowing in mud with a favorite coat and new jeans is certainky NOT laughable not is being fully covered in the stuff. That said, I would also have stripped down and crawled under the covers. Glad you were able to get into town for supplies, and the cats are too. And, Odd as it sounds, I’m looking forward to reading about the disasters on that trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been an optimistic person, and I'm not particularly funny - but my humor always surfaces during difficult times. My adventure in the mud infuriated me, but afterwards I thought it was hilarious.
      I'm VERY relieved that I finally made it to town, but it was another day filled with bad luck. I'll vent my frustrations in my next post.

      Delete
  7. Your life theme is becoming, ''When it rains, it pours' both literally and figuratively.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.