Thursday, January 13, 2022

SOUSED

 


 

 Thank goodness for homemade wine. It's inexpensive to make, and - more importantly - it's twice as potent as the crap you buy at the store. You're paying a Big Price (capitalized for emphasis) for the fancy bottle and impressive label.

I'm presently stewed to the whiskers. Life looks a helluva lot better in the custody of inebriation. I learned that at an early age.

So, how are things going for me lately?

Think of the worst nightmare that your imagination can conceive.
Now, multiply it by 100.
Every frickin' thing that could go wrong has gone wrong. I won't elaborate. It would be too painful.
If it wasn't for the wine, I'd be hanging by a rope from the nearest tree. 

Today....
Today I summoned the courage to make the perilous drive to town. I was actually forced to go because I was very low on supplies - and a Big Winter Storm (capitalized for emphasis) is expected this weekend.
That means there will be more photos of snow on my blog.

Snow photos are undoubtedly more palatable than my poetry (see my previous post).
If you don't like my poetry, switch to the Cartoon Channel. It will be more compatible with your speed.

Is that cruel and condescending?
I can be unnervingly caustic when I'm drunk. It's a wonderful feeling.

Sadly enough, I spent the greater part of my life apologizing for being alive and discounting my self-worth. That detrimental affliction was fortified by my father - who criticized me mercilessly until the day he died.

But that's another story for another time.

Change of subject

Did you notice the incredibly high prices of groceries and gas during the past year?

The pork chops I frequently buy were always $3.50 a pound. Now the exact same chops are $6.00 a pound.

The Genoa hard salami that I absolutely love was $5.40 a pound. I was flabbergasted (a word I don't use often) to see that it's now $8.84 a pound!!
I reluctantly bought it......but never again.
Not while I'm sober, anyway.

Inflation has soared ever since January, 2021 - - and everyone damn well knows why. I hope you Marxists are happy.

I am tempted to expound, but I'll save it for my next rant.

One of my New Year resolutions is to start saying what I really think on this blog, rather than the inconsequential fluff about the forest and the cats.

That will probably result in my losing the last five (or is it four?) faithful readers that I have left.

             Cheers, Jon
             slightly inebriated

 

16 comments:

  1. Though I rarely comment you can add me to that list of faithful readers. When I turned 50 I decided to say exactly what I wanted when I wanted (though I do try not to hurt feelings). Hang in there Jon and good luck with the storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryle - even if you don't often comment, I'm delighted that you're here. I've discovered that it's getting more and more difficult not to hurt other people's feelings. Everyone seems to be more sensitive nowadays than in the past. Unfortunately, many people have abandoned my blog because of things that I've written.

      Delete
  2. I'm NOT going anywhere, but you already know that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been reading quite some time never commented. Now I shall. I think your writings are quite touching and enlightening. Sorry for your ailments wish I could help but not near your neck of the woods. Say what you want and unload when you deem it necessary. I shall still read. Love your music quite the pianist. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Suzanne - I really appreciate your input. My writing is sometimes touching, but I'm not sure if it's ever enlightening (*smile*).

      Delete
  4. Homemade wine sounds exactly what you're needing right now. Like Lennon wrote, 'Whatever gets you through the night ..."
    Please continue to count me among your tribe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, it wouldn't be worth blogging without you. And the wine does indeed help stabilize the chaos...

      Delete
  5. Say whatever you want, however you want, Jon, because like your other readers I too am not leaving, no matter what.

    You're SO right about the rising grocery store costs and it's the same here as well so we've learned to skip buying some products, unless absolutely necessary. Hope that predicted snowstorm doesn't result in any power outages. Keep the wine handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really shocked at how high the price of groceries has become. Some of the items are twice as much as they used to be.
      The latest winter storm is supposed to arrive tonight (Saturday) with the promise of more snow. I'm glad I got supplies beforehand. And, of course, the wine...

      Delete
  6. My comment didn’t make it thru- but I was just telling you that I am one of the 4-5 readers that you speak of! Love reading your blogs and agree with you in all of them mostly, the ones I MAY not agree with- I read anyway!! Stay safe and warm Jon. Take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise,I've been having lots of trouble leaving comments on other blogs.
      AND - believe it or not - when I attempt to reply to comments on my blog, I keep getting a message that says "anonymous comments aren't allowed"!!

      I actually DO allow anonymous comments.....and why do they think that I'M anonymous?? Blogger is crazy!
      I'm not looking forward to more snow, but we're supposed to get 3-8 inches tonight. I'll be okay - - as long as there isn't a power outage.

      Delete
  7. You have five readers? Lucky! I think I have only 4. But I mostly blog for myself, so I tend to write whatever interests me and me alone. PLUS... Blog are all about honesty. I dislike fluffy blogs with poetry, bible verses and snow pictures. (Other than yours... yours are awesome!) Na.. I like honest rants over plastic wrapped dog poo on the side of the trail, people cutting in lines, voter fraud, inflation, comets hitting the planet, and sometimes kitten pictures. And.. it has to in written in such a way that engages me. I love cleverly/witty written prose.
    Plus, I seriously have to learn how to home brew some wine. Beer seems too complicated for my small apartment. Perhaps after I get some lbs off my middle. Glad to see you have so far survived the winter hell that mother nature has unleashed. Yeah mother nature! Giving us her "gifts."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly blog to convince myself that I'm still alive - - but I'm delighted that a few others dare to come along for the ride. I noticed that most of the Trump haters have abandoned me.

      There was a lot of frozen rain here in TN this morning (Saturday) and snow is expected tonight. I'm glad that I have enough supplies....and wine.

      Delete
  8. I'm sticking with you to the bitter end. You SHOULD say what you think. It's your blog. BTW, I'm a Trump hater. Makes no difference to me that we differ. I'm also a Biden-hater. I have a cat that would be a better leader than either one of them. He's taken possession of our house and makes us keep our place... and we like it like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to hear from you, Donna. I'm a Biden-hater,so at least we can agree on that. I think Congress would be a lot better if it was run by cats and dogs....

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.